Book Theme Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

LOL, sandy,  I was thinking the same thing. 
    Yoga, I'm sorry you feel this way, but I think of the forum as more of a fun distraction.  This thread is just really light and funny. 

Are we still on doctors or do we need a new topic?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

chazz:  <3 <3 <3   8^)

I think we need a new topic -- I was a little stumped on doctors, for some reason (I could think of MDs, but not ones who used their skills in odd ways.)

How about lead characters with a disability of some sort (physical or intellectual)?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Lead Characters with Disabilities (good one!)

First one I can think of is Lincoln Rhyme a quadripelgic police officer in Jeffrey Deaver's series of mystery books....The Empty Chair, The Twelve Card.

I'll try to think of more. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

No Ordinary Time, about FDR
    Franklin & Lucy, same subject.  I really enjoyed both of these
    Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester after the fire
    The Bone Collector, though I only saw the movie :-)
    The Secret Garden, was the little boy permanently handicapped or did he get well?  I can't remember.
    The Christmas Carol, Tiny Tim!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Jodi Picoult is a big one on disabilities:

My Sister's Keeper - cancer
    House Rules - Asperger's Syndrome
    Change of Heart - bad heart 

Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris (struck by lightening and suffers anxiety and headaches)

callie, Bone Collector was another Lincoln Rhyme book.  I didn't read it either, only saw the movie. 
    Tiny Tim, good one!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  - Mark Haddon
    Something Mis ing  - Matthew Dicks
    The Hunchback of NotreDame
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby

Don't know why I didn't think of The Secret Garden, callie -- I was just talking to my wee one about that book the other day.  He is disabled, but it's mostly in his head (plus muscle weakness from being bedridden), and it's through Mary and Dickon's pushing that he gets well.

Loved all these books.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I won't bump the topic again if you'd rather take a pass on it here chazzy, but I hope everything's going ok? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]I won't bump the topic again if you'd rather take a pass on it here chazzy, but I hope everything's going ok? 
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

awww, thanks, callie, everything's fine.  I just feel bad there was such a drama in your nice book thread.  I'm sorry.

( I'm also wondering how I'm going to make my wisea$$ comments to Jake in the music forum.....)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Of Human Bondage    W. Somerset Maugham

Flowers for Algeron  –Daniel Keyes

Karen  --Marie Killilea  (non-fiction)

Iris : A Memoir  --John Bayley (non-fiction)

The Story Of My Life  --Helen Keller (non fiction)

and nominated for best supporting and most necessary character ....

The Memory Keeper’s Daughte  --Kim  Edwards

The Dive from Clausen’s Pier  --Ann Packer 

The Glass Menagerie – Tenn Wms

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Of Human Bondage     W. Somerset Maugham Flowers for Algeron   –Daniel Keyes Karen  --Marie Killilea  (non-fiction) Iris : A Memoir   --John Bayley (non-fiction) The Story Of My Life  --Helen Keller (non fiction) and nominated for best character in a highly supporting roll.... The Memory Keeper’s Daughte r     --Kim    Edwards The Dive from Clausen’s Pier     --Ann Packer  The Glass Menagerie – Tenn Wms
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

Could have been in our flower category too!

When we're done with disabilitites maybe we could do favorite animal books. - I know we did talking ones, but maybe just any animal.  I'm thinking of this because of Elkie's Wesley the Owl book.....

I have a story I hope you like Elekktra, I brought that book to one of my appointments and the technician asked me if I liked it and if it would be good to read to her 7 year old daughter, who loves owls.  I raved how great it was and went home.  Over the weekend, I thought about the mating scene....When I went back on Monday, I tried to explain to the woman how she might want to edit it out and how it wasn't weird, but went along with the story.  The more I tried to explain how it wasn't weird, the weirder I sounded.....geeesh. ( I have a friend who is an English teacher and I have such respect for her.  She talks about all kinds of things with teenagers where I get tongue-tied in front of an adult!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : awww, thanks, callie, everything's fine.  I just feel bad there was such a drama in your nice book thread.  I'm sorry. ( I'm also wondering how I'm going to make my wisea$$ comments to Jake in the music forum.....)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

There's no apologizing on WA!  Remember Jack Handey's insightful words:

To me, it's always a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?," you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I do miss your wise-a$$ery with jake :-)

I was going to post on your page and couldn't help but see your chat with sandy.  Let me add my me too! if you guys make a plan to get together.  It would be great if Elkie were interested in joining in too! 

And Walking if he weren't so far away :-(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Could have been in our flower category too! When we're done with disabilitites maybe we could do favorite animal books. - I know we did talking ones, but maybe just any animal.  I'm thinking of this because of Elkie's Wesley the Owl book..... I have a story I hope you like Elekktra, I brought that book to one of my appointments and the technician asked me if I liked it and if it would be good to read to her 7 year old daughter, who loves owls.  I raved how great it was and went home.  Over the weekend, I thought about the mating scene....When I went back on Monday, I tried to explain to the woman how she might want to edit it out and how it wasn't weird, but went along with the story.  The more I tried to explain how it wasn't weird, the weirder I sounded.....geeesh. ( I have a friend who is an English teacher and I have such respect for her.  She talks about all kinds of things with teenagers where I get tongue-tied in front of an adult!)

ha ha. That's why it's subtitled The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and his Girl.
    Also I seem to remember references to a topless bar.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : h a ha. That's why it's subtitled The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and his Girl. Also I seem to remember references to a topless bar.....
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

oh man, do I have to tell her about that too!!!???

:)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]I do miss your wise-a$$ery with jake :-) I was going to post on your page and couldn't help but see your chat with sandy.  Let me add my me too! if you guys make a plan to get together.  It would be great if Elkie were interested in joining in too!  And Walking if he weren't so far away :-(

An in-person book forum meeting would be great!  Maybe we could skype Walking in.  :)  Okay, it's like 9 (or maybe 11) X chromosomes to 1 Y, but I think WTW can handle the imbalance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : awww, thanks, callie, everything's fine.  I just feel bad there was such a drama in your nice book thread.  I'm sorry. ( I'm also wondering how I'm going to make my wisea$$ comments to Jake in the music forum.....)

I'm the one who should apologize, because I'm the one who made the initial remarks that set off the fireworks.  I just appreciate callie's sandbox -- and the company of the other playmates -- so much.  Such a friendly home base on BDC, and I didn't realize what a pandora's box it was going to open to say so.

I'd say more, but one pyrotechnic display a day I think is plenty.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elkie:  Is Wesley the Owl fiction or non-fiction?

There's an animal theme subset for you -- animal-human love stories.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]Elkie:  Is Wesley the Owl fiction or non-fiction? There's an animal theme subset for you -- animal-human love stories.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

ummm ... hmmmm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Elkie:  Is Wesley the Owl fiction or non-fiction? There's an animal theme subset for you -- animal-human love stories.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

I think it was non-fiction, right Elkie?

I first one I can think of is Marley and Me.  I loved that book; it has special memories for me.  My dad always gave me his books when he was done (only the ones he gave 3 or 4 "checks" to).  He gave me this one and my son and I both read it.  It was the last one we all shared before he passed.

I love the idea of getting together!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Water for Elephants
    Secret Life of Bees

Not about animals so much, but used in the titles ...

To Kill a Mockingbird
    Gril with the Dragon Tattoo
    The Lobster Coast
    Pigs in Heaven

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Same time, chazz!  That never happens here.  Morning.

btw, just got to the "mating" scene in Wesley!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I have to say, it's a sad day indeed when I am the voice of reason around here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

What the Dog Did: Tales form a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner - Emily Yoffe

Loved Secret Life of Bees, callie. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Same time, chazz!  That never happens here.  Morning. btw, just got to the "mating" scene in Wesley!

ha! now how would you explain it to someone you just met?!  Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

There are so many books with animals.  I was thinking maybe we could make our lists just be one animal per list.

Like rodents:

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
    Miss Bianca and the Salt Mines (and The Rescuers, etc.)
    Runaway Ralph (and The Mouse and the MOtorcycle)
    If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
    Of MIce and Men
    Stuart Little
    Redwall series

I'm still typing because I'm trying to think of another one we have one our shelf whose name is escaping me......

I should rethink and limit the list to adult/YA titles.....but I haven't had my coffee yet, so that'll have to wait.  :)