Book Theme Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]I've never thought of (or heard of) biking on the beach, -callie.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible -- it must've been low tide?  Running on the beach is great exercise; biking must be awesome for strength conditioning! And I was also wondering about Elkie's mystery topic!
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

have to wait until tonight....
    in the meantime carry on...   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Ella es muy mysteriosa!

She keeps that air of mystery!  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : have to wait until tonight.... in the meantime carry on...   
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

LOL. Excellent, Elkie.

How about an easy one in the meantime....what books did you read over and over when your kids weree little?

I'll start:

Good Night Moon
    Runaway Rabbit
    Cats Sleep Anywhere
    No Roses for Harry

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

callie, that must be exhausting!!  Do you need a special bike?  What happens if the sand gets caught in the chain?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Curious George - especially when he bakes a cake and visits a classroom
    Barbar
    The Hungry Little Catepillar
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Everyone Poops
    Moo, Baa, La La La
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Hands down most popular was Goodnight Moon

I love this theme chazz!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]I've never thought of (or heard of) biking on the beach, -callie.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible -- it must've been low tide?  Running on the beach is great exercise; biking must be awesome for strength conditioning! And I was also wondering about Elkie's mystery topic!

It was low tide sandy.  I had never tried it before either but it was awesome.  It was such an unbelievably gorgeous morning it didn't feel like work at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]callie, that must be exhausting!!  Do you need a special bike?  What happens if the sand gets caught in the chain?
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

It was hard but awesome chazz.  I have an inexpensive hybrid that I used.  The tires are fairly wide, though not like a mountain bike.  I didn't put air in the tires so they were a little low and it worked out beautifully. 

hmmm ... we hadn't considered sand in the chain.  Luckily that didn't seem to be a problem.  I can't wait to go again!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

When I was expecting my first child, someone gave me Goodnight Moon and told me my kid was going to love it and request we read it over and over (and over...), but neither of my kids liked it at all.

So here's my list of what they did like:

Son:
    Jamberry
    Time for Bed
    The Firecat
    Brave Bear
    The Cat in the Hat (and The Cat in the Hat Comes Back)
    Pizza Kittens (and others by Charlotte Voake)

Daughter:
    All the Llama Llama books (I can't recommend Llama Llama Misses Mama highly enough)
    Cinderella (we have 4 or more versions, but sadly, the Disney one is the one she loves the most)
    Non is No; Si is Yes
    De Cabeza a los Pies (Head to Toe by Eric Carle)
    Richard Scarry's Busiest Pop-Up Ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Oh, I loved Curious George (the one I remember is when he flew a kite)
    and Cat in the Hat.
    I forgot we did all the Dr Suess books.  I miss those times!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

New theme time! \
    a form of historical novel (I guess) with plots that alternate between or among two or more eras.  Different from time travel.  And I simply don't know if this kind of writing has a name. 

examples:
    The Virgin Blue (Chevalier) 
    The Weight of Water (Shreve)
    In The Valley of the Kings (Meyerson)

in the above examples plots or character(s) mirror each other to a large or small degree.  

I like stuff like this.  Can anyone list more examples?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Of the top of my head,

Possession -- Byatt
    which I think alternates between someone in the current day reading papers of someone years ago

There's also Time and Again by Jack Finney  (also From Time to Time which is the sequel), except that does actually involve time travel.  It's very cool though.

There's an Elizabeth Peters book that might fit -- The Murders of Richard III -- so that's 2.

I know the style you're thinking of, Elkie, but it's hard to put my finger on them even though I know I've read a few.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

People of the Book - I love Geraldine Brooks' stuff
    The 19th Wife - didn't love this though  know I've used it more than once

I'm finding that unless I've read a book recently I don't have great recall for detail - so annoying!

New theme? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

How about spies -- spy genre books?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

[QUOTE]Elkie:  The Devil in the WHite City -- is that the one about the assassination of McKinley?  If so, Walking is reading the new book by that author.  And I'm interested in your opinion, because I was thinking of reading it.  And I'm interested in your opinion generally, for that matter.  :)

Thank you Sandwich.  It is an account of the makers and making of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair AND the serial killer who loved it too much. Imagine Antonia Fraser and Sidney Sheldon collaborating.   

That said, it simply isn't for everyone.  History, Anthropology, Sociology, and psychological pathology has to float one's boat.  You can read some excerpts here:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Coincidental (or maybe subliminal) story.  I went to Borders a few days ago to use up residual gift cards (totalling $14 something - whoo hoo!), was wandering around aimlessly when I picked up a book in the History section.  A very nice employee said the book I picked up was pretty good so I asked him what else he liked.  He handed me "Thunderstruck"  which I bought and it wasn't till the next day that I realized the author was Erik Larson!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Spies/spy genre - good topic sandy.

Of course - James Bond, Ian Fleming
    Jack Ryan, Tom Clancy
    Jason Bourne, Robert Ludlum (from back when I enjoyed reading him)

I tried to think of a woman spy and sadly all I could come up with was 
    Tuppence Beresford, an Agatha Christie character who actually worked alongside her husband.  Maybe I could include Julia Child (was she or wasn't she?) :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

The only one I can think of adding is The Eye of the Needle - Ken Follett.

I agree with you callie, if I haven't read it in the last 10 minutes, I have forgotten it!

Started A Little Love Story....wow, real tearjerker!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Sadly I am without a book to read right now. Meant to stop at the library after work and swimming with the little Walkings today but one of them didn't feel too well so we left and in my haste to get LW home drove right past the library.

Guess I can read Ralph S. Mouse with the other LW...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

When I was young, I read everything that Helen MacInnes wrote -- I think most of her protagonists are women (but I can't remember for sure).

Helen MacInnes: The Salzburg Connection / Assignment in Brittany / The Double Image / Agent in Place

I'm pretty sure I read some of her stuff more than once.  I liked them alot then, but who knows if I'd feel the same decades later. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Sadly I am without a book to read right now. Meant to stop at the library after work and swimming with the little Walkings today but one of them didn't feel too well so we left and in my haste to get LW home drove right past the library. Guess I can read Ralph S. Mouse with the other LW...
    Posted by WalkingTheWalk[/QUOTE]

When you were driving by, was it in a new ferrari ? ( I gotta know!)

Just saw The Falcon and the Snowman in movies.  I read that book, it was another spy one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : When you were driving by, was it in a new ferrari ? ( I gotta know!) Just saw The Falcon and the Snowman in movies.  I read that book, it was another spy one.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Hahaha Chazz - the red Ferrari is on order - found the house no problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Walking:

Hope you were specific about it being a red Ferrari car, or you could end up with

....the faboo red Ferrari jacket instead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

eye spies

Charlie, The Little Drummer Girl. LeCarre

Barley,  The Russia House. LeCarre

Modesty Blaise (the novel).  Peter Odonnell 

Mrs Emily Pollifax series.  Dorothy Gilman

Harriet the Spy. Fitzhugh

I hozied (wd?) the "plural time lines" books y'all recommended and I just got The  Elegance of the Hedgehog, BUT I happened upon Portia de Rossi's memoir regarding anorexia bulimia, Unbearable Lightness.  I swore I wouldn't read it, but alas I am weak and vapid.   Fortunately it's proving to be a fast read. 

So here's our next topic:

Anorexic and/or bulimic main characters (in older fiction the condition may be implied) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

[QUOTE]Walking: Hope you were specific about it being a red Ferrari car , or you could end up with ....the faboo red Ferrari jacket instead.

Sandy - as long as the jacket comes with this:

Alas, it may be matchbox size that I get. Oh well, little is better than none at all. Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elkie:  I had a thought for your anorexia/bulemia theme, but then I was thinking that anorexia is a condition where someone's body image is out of whack, and I was thinking of books where someone is "wasting away" but not because they think they're too fat but because they're depressed -- Marianne in Sense and Sensibilty is the character that came to mind.

I think there's a character in a Maeve BInchy book that fits, but I can't remember if I saw it in Scarlet Feather or in Tara Road (or something else altogether).