Book Theme Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

For Martha's Vineyard & back to mysteries:

Philip R. Craig wrote a series set on the island

Linda Fairstein also has a series whose main character, Alex Cooper, lives in NYC but has a home on Martha's vineyard

Elkie - I love Geraldine Brooks.  Once I discovered her, I read her books all in a row.

You're right, sandy.  Harry Potter is a series, not a book.  I couldn't figure out a way to include them in this list!

next:  how about a journey (literal, spiritual, whatever)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Journey:

Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult
    Breakfast with Buddha -Roland Merullo ---loved this book, read it last summer.

there must be a ton more....

or main characters who have a funny sidekick...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Lawrence of Arabia comes to mind for journey.  Eat, Pray, Love does, too, though I hate to keep using a book I am ambivalent about.  Plus any number of biographies of explorer books, e.g. Captain Cook or The Endurance about Shackleton's trip to Antarctica.

Gee, chazz, I can think of any number of sidekick books, but funny sidekicks is going to take a lot more thought.   8)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]For Martha's Vineyard & back to mysteries: Philip R. Craig wrote a series set on the island Linda Fairstein also has a series whose main character, Alex Cooper, lives in NYC but has a home on Martha's vineyard Elkie - I love Geraldine Brooks.  Once I discovered her, I read her all in a row. You're right, sandy.  Harry Potter is a series, not a book.  I couldn't figure out a way to include them in this list! next:  how about a journey (literal, spiritual, whatever)
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

I figured the rite of passage there really took all 7 books, which really would make it more of a long transition than a "rite".  My oldest and I are on our second read through the series, so it tends to pop to mind for many of these categories -- though not for funny sidekick!  That would really be a stretch!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : I figured the rite of passage there really took all 7 books, which really would make it more of a long transition than a "rite".  My oldest and I are on our second read through the series, so it tends to pop to mind for many of these categories -- though not for funny sidekick!  That would really be a stretch!
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Good Morning Sandwich!  I'm very flexible if you want to change it to just a "sidekick"!
    :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Not an episodic rite, I agree, but I would be willing to lump it in with the broad theme. 

As to funny sidekicks, Ron Weasley has some funny lines in the movies though not in the books as far as I can remember.  I guess that doesn't count. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

callie:  I think most of the humor in the movies is in the books, too.  But ROn Weasley is not consistently funny, the way I think of "funny sidekick".  Fred and George Weasley are funny 80+% or the time, but they're not really sidekicks.

I know there are probably plenty of funny sidekicks, I just need to percolate on it for a while.  :)  Which is good -- I like the challenge, chazz!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Adding to the journey list if I may:
    Contact (Carl Sagan)
    Surfacing (Margaret Atwood)
    Wonderful Wizard Of Oz (Baum)
    The Diary Of Anne Frank
    Ben Hur: A Tale of The Christ (Wallace)

funny sidekicks -- ay yi yi.   (This would be easy if we were talking TV!)

Sancho Panza (Don Quioxte)
    Dr Watson (Sherlock Holmes)
    Captain Hastings (Hercule Poirot)
    Trapper John (Hawkeye Pierce) MASH novels. 
    Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
    Toto (Dorothy Gale) WWOz stories

Not suggesting a new category yet.  Will wait for others to weigh in. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

chazz:  Breakfast with Buddha was the book I first thought of when I suggested journey.  And then I realized that the book I finished last night was by the same author - Roland Merullo!  Small book, an unexpected gem.  I didn't link the two till I saw your post!

ay yi yi is right Elkie, but you came up with some great titles!  I'll have to think on it a bit more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

callie, that is funny!  Which other one did you read? I tried Golfing with God, which was pretty good, but really loved the Buddha one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Oh!  I forgot to give the title;  A Little Love Story.  Really liked it, and the Buddha as well.  It really stuck with me.  I'll have to check out Golfing with God - it sounds like it could be funny?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Adding to the journey list if I may: Contact (Carl Sagan) Surfacing (Margaret Atwood) Wonderful Wizard Of Oz (Baum) The Diary Of Anne Frank Ben Hur: A Tale of The Christ (Wallace) ************ funny sidekicks -- ay yi yi.   (This would be easy if we were talking TV!) Sancho Panza (Don Quioxte) Dr Watson (Sherlock Holmes) Captain Hastings (Hercule Poirot) Trapper John (Hawkeye Pierce) MASH novels.  Tinkerbell (Peter Pan) Toto (Dorothy Gale) WWOz stories Not suggesting a new category yet.  Will wait for others to weigh in. 
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

Elekktra:  I love your journey suggestions.

......but I have a quibble with one of your sidekick ones -- Dr. Watson is not at all funny in the books.  Actually, he's a lot more like the character on the fantastic new "Sherlock"  BBC show (have you seen that?  -- it's awesome!) than the bumbling idiot misplayed in the Basil Rathbone movies.  I agree it's easier to think of movie or tv funny sidekicks than book ones.  Like all the characters in The Pickwick Papers are funny -- so that's not a serious main character with a funny companion.  Or Hawk to Spenser -- except that they joke together, and both are serious as well (maybe Hawk more so than Spenser).

chazz:  DId you have anything in mind when you posted the category?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Elekktra:  I love your journey suggestions. ......but I have a quibble with one of your sidekick ones -- Dr. Watson is not at all funny in the books.  Actually, he's a lot more like the character on the fantastic new "Sherlock"  BBC show (have you seen that?  -- it's awesome!) than the bumbling idiot misplayed in the Basil Rathbone movies.  I agree it's easier to think of movie or tv funny sidekicks than book ones.  Like all the characters in The Pickwick Papers are funny -- so that's not a serious main character with a funny companion.  Or Hawk to Spenser -- except that they joke together, and both are serious as well (maybe Hawk more so than Spenser). chazz:  DId you have anything in mind when you posted the category?

I was actually thinking of the Lula character in the Stephanie Plum books.  She's her large, ex-hooker sidekick in her bounty hunting expeditions.  She is always on some donut or all-meat diet and constantly wears loud spandex outfits. I laugh at loud at her character.  It's kinda silly but I do love that series. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game :   I was actually thinking of the Lula character in the Stephanie Plum books.  She's her large, ex-hooker sidekick in her bounty hunting expeditions.  She is always on some donut or all-meat diet and constantly wears loud spandex outfits. I laugh at loud at her character.  It's kinda silly but I do love that series. :)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Alright already!!  I'll read a Stephanie Plum book!!

:^D
    You had me at "donut diet". 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Alright already!!  I'll read a Stephanie Plum book!! :^D You had me at "donut diet". 

Ha! Excellent!

I am reading such a good book right now.  Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult.....

maybe in a while the next theme could be a gay/lesbian character.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

What theme are we on right now, anyway?  We need callie to come in and crack the whip.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I think we were struggling with funny sidekicks.  Regarding Dr Watson, excellent observation my dear Sandwich. 

Next: oceans. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Oceans: ---mine are settings in the ocean, not really about the ocean....

Sphere - Michael Crichton (all takes place at the bottom of Pacific Ocean)
    Skinny Dip - Carl Haissen ( Chaz (!) throws his wife overboard into the Atlantic on their cruise)
    The Castaways - Elin Hilderbrand (how friends deal when their friends' boat capsizes in the Atlantic and they are killed)

for the funny sidekicks, I was also thinking of Win and Esperenza from Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitaire series..........

There must be a ton more....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Oh!  I forgot to give the title;  A Little Love Story.  Really liked it, and the Buddha as well.  It really stuck with me.  I'll have to check out Golfing with God - it sounds like it could be funny?
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]
     It was pretty funny.....what heaven is like for a golfer!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

chazz:  next category after oceans?

Elekktra:  8)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Crack the whip?  I get to crack the whip?  Cool 

Let's go with chazz's earlier suggestion of gay/lesbian characters.  

Dumbledore - Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling said so!) 

Lucy - Kay Scarpetta's niece; Patricia Cornwell, author

I feel like more are tiptoeing 'round the edges of my brain ... it's late, maybe they'll dawn on me tomorrow :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Ennis and Jack, Brokeback Mountain (short story originally)

Clarissa, The Hours.  Read the book, never saw the movie.

That's all I can think of - please add more if you've got 'em.

If not, next theme:  vacations

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

more on the gay characters theme:

Ethan of Athos -- Lois McMasters Bujold's book about a world of only men, where the dna of the tissue they've been using in the uterine replicators starts to degrade, and one of the citizens is chosen for the mission to visit another world to get new samples -- first time in 100s of years that anyone from Athos has ever even seen a woman.  Good book, part of the incredible Vorkosigan series -- Bujold can write like nobody's business (caveat: her Sharing Knife series is not really as good as the rest.)

P.S. Your Cat Is Dead  -- saved my sanity when I read it -- I really needed the laugh so hard you cry effect of this book at the time. 

Midnight Cowboy -- a classic for a reason and better than the movie, which was great, too.  Joe Buck and Ratso Rizzo develop a dependency and love for one another.

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

next theme -- vacations

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

one more on gay/lesbian

Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin - I read the first few about 20 years ago, still remember how funny they were.

Sandy, I've seen that PS you're cat is dead....is it a mystery or what kind of book?

on to vacation....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

chazz:  It's hard to describe -- and it's been well over 20 years since I read it, but I seem to recall it's about a guy who is having the WORST day of his life....I forget the particulars, but I think his love interest leaves him and the PS in the Dear John letter is the news about his cat.  Then a burglar breaks into his apartment, and the guy, who has already hit his limit, catches the guy and ties him to the kitchen table.  Then he has to figure out what to do next, because that's just the beginning of the book.

Sounds like it would be sad or upsetting but Kirkwood manages to make it side splitting -- or maybe it just seemed that way to me at the time because I really really needed the laugh.  One of those books I've often thought I should go back and reread to see if it really is as funny as I remembered it.  But then, I wonder if I'm better off remembering the laughs it gave me than the book itself.

I probably ask myself too many questions.....