Book Theme Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]19th Wife - That's just what happened to Bill in Big Love.  Loved that show, couldn't find anyone else that watched it! Got good news the other day.  No chemo, just radiation. (Thank goodness, I know some women can pull it off, but I would not be an attractive bald lady!!)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Yay! I'd set off fireworks for you - but that's been done :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I had a thought for a new theme with a slight twist:

List 2 books by the same author where one of the books you really loved and the other book you hated or at least disliked/were disappointed by.  Oh, and the reason why. 

The pair that comes to mind for me is 

Little Bee by Chris Cleave -- loved this one
    Incendiary  -- really didn't like this & didn't even finish reading it

In both books, people do things that are morally questionable.  In Little Bee, the reasons make sense -- you can understand why the characters were moved to make those choices.  In Incendiary, I just could not believe that there existed a main character who would act that way -- perhaps if there was some background that really explained it, but as it was,  it was just not believable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I think sometimes when a writer becomes suceessful, he just starts mailing it in.  I've had this happen to me with a few authors.

John Grisham:

The Chambers and The Firm - interesting stories, real page-turners
    The King of Torts - was so boring I struggled to finish it (in fact I think I skimmed the last 20 pages or so to find out the ending)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

chazz- if you haven't, read a time to kill, the pelican brief, and the client. AWESOME books.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Lives Of Bees; historical context, search/validation of motherly affection, the sisters, everything you wanted to know about honey (compare with shrimp in Forrest Gump LOL)

The Mermaid Chair: narcissistic tripe. 

Chazz, be very nice to yourself while getting treatment, and let jakey spoil you rotten!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gracelan. Show Gracelan's posts

Sandwich--thanks for the note, just saw it! :-)

Gabriel Garcia Marquez:

Love in the Time of Cholera -- One of my top 10 favorite books.

100 Years of Solitude -- 100 years of regret that I tried to plow through this one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Sandwich--thanks for the note, just saw it! :-) Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Love in the Time of Cholera -- One of my top 10 favorite books. 100 Years of Solitude -- 100 years of regret that I tried to plow through this one.
    Posted by Gracelan[/QUOTE]

Welcome, Gracelan!

I think I had the same reaction to these books.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Lives Of Bees ; historical context, search/validation of motherly affection, the sisters, everything you wanted to know about honey (compare with shrimp in Forrest Gump LOL) The Mermaid Chair : narcissistic tripe.  Chazz, be very nice to yourself while getting treatment, and let jakey spoil you rotten!
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

chazz:  I agree with Elkie -- show Jake your hand and your foot and respectfully request he wait on 'em.  8)

And Jake should take good care of himself too, since I know it's almost as stressful for the people who love you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]chazz- if you haven't, read a time to kill, the pelican brief, and the client. AWESOME books.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Thanks ph! I did read Pelican Brief and really liked it, only saw the movies of the client and time to kill and LOVED them.  I will try them this summer.

The funny thing is the same thing happened to me with Ken Follett.   Read a ton of his books, loved them, and read one that was such a bore that it turned me off him.  (Can't remember which one now).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Thank you Elekktra and Sandwich!  Will definitely get jake to read your posts!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Lives Of Bees ; historical context, search/validation of motherly affection, the sisters, everything you wanted to know about honey (compare with shrimp in Forrest Gump LOL) The Mermaid Chair : narcissistic tripe.  Chazz, be very nice to yourself while getting treatment, and let jakey spoil you rotten!

I love your descriptions!  and "roman a clef" !  I have to know...do you do something with literature in your profession, (editor, professor) or an English major? sorry, I hope I'm not getting too personal!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

You know that you guys really don't have to encourage chazz to have me wait on her hand and foot, she pretty much has figured out that one years ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

chazz, had the same experience with Ludlum.  I remember I used to read a lot of his stuff and was recommened Pillars of the Earth a few years ago.  Though I know it is a departure from his past style and was a huge commercial success, I felt like I had to plow through it.

Dickens, loved Bleak House, Tale of Two Cities, more, but could not get through Great Expectations.  It's been a while though, so maybe I should give it another shot.

Girl With a Dragon Tattoo - really enjoyed this first in the series book, the second and third, not so much.

When we're ready, how about animal characters who talk or narrate?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]You know that you guys really don't have to encourage chazz to have me wait on her hand and foot, she pretty much has figured out that one years ago.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

I am very proud of you chazz :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

One of my favorite books is The Watchers by Dean Koontz.  The dog doesn't really talk, but can understand what people are saying.  His owner figures it out in the first chapter because the dog moves around Scrabble tiles to communicate.  (Sounds really silly when I write it, but it was really good!)

ETA:
    Going to add in Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little.
    (always creeped me out that humans had a mouse baby, how did they explain that?  does anyone remember?)

callie, I was into Robert Ludlum for awhile too.  Can't remember which book turned me off.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I agree on Ken Follett....seems I read a ton, and then I had one of his books -- Pillars, I think, sitting around for years.  I think I finally donated it without reading it.

For animal narrators:
    Animal Farm
    Secret of NIMH

a book I'm reading right now:
    The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
       (I don't know why I didn't think of that first!)

The Woman and the Ape by my favorite author, Peter Hoeg

There's a new one out about I think a chimp that I've been wanting to read :
    The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]You know that you guys really don't have to encourage chazz to have me wait on her hand and foot, she pretty much has figured out that one years ago.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Jake:  This reminds me of my (much beloved and missed grandfather).  My grandmother had had a series of strokes, and my grandfather became her primary caretaker.  She was quite particular about how things should be done, and he would complain about "The FINGER!!"  By which he meant her pointer finger, always pointing at things she wanted done.

He had an excellent sense of humor, too.

Not that I'm comparing chazz to my (also much beloved and missed) grandmother!  The mock long-suffering tone in your post just made me think of my grandparents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE] There's a new one out about I think a chimp that I've been wanting to read : The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing a lot about this book.  If you read it, let us know what you think!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The Art of Racing in the Rain

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : I've been hearing a lot about this book.  If you read it, let us know what you think!
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

Just requested it from the library.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Animal narrators: (wow, good one)  

Watership Down --Richard Adams
    White Fang --Jack London
    Grendel  --John Gardner
    The Incredible Journey --Sheila Burnford

outside of Grendel, I'm not sure I'm right about the other three. 

new topic:

The spouse who runs away from home  ;-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elkie:

For some reason I'm having trouble with the runaway spouse theme.

I first thought of Tara Road (Maeve Binchy) ....but then...well, no, the husband leaves, but I don't think he exacty runs away.

I found some books through searching the internet, but I have to confess I haven't read them.

The Runaway Pastor's Wife  - Diane Moody
    The Fugitive Wife - Peter C. Moody
    Runaway Father = Richard Rashke

Strangely, all the runaway husband books I'm finding are non-fiction; the runaway wife books are all fiction.  Make of that what ye will.  :)

Perhaps you had some books in mind, Elekktra?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Actually I was looking for some new-to-me books on this theme, so you did the research for me :-)

Here's what I've read:  (I have no idea what attracts me to the theme, believe me!) 

The Awakening --Kate Chopin

Ladder of Years  -- Anne Tyler

The Book Of Eve    --Constance Beresford-Howe

the women drift away from their spouses in the titles below:

The Mermaid Chair –-Sue Monk Kid 

The Virgin Blue  --Tracy Chevalier 

The Rector's Wife  --Joanna Trollop

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Actually I was looking for some new-to-me books on this theme, so you did the research for me :-) Here's what I've read:  (I have no idea what attracts me to the theme, believe me!)  The Awakening --Kate Chopin Ladder of Years  --   Anne Tyler The Book Of Eve      --Constance Beresford-Howe   the women drift away from their spouses in the titles below: The Mermaid Chair –-Sue Monk Kid  The Virgin Blue  --Tracy Chevalier  The Rector's Wife  --Joanna Trollop

We won't tell anybody!  ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I was thinking of South of Broad - Pat Conroy for women that leave home (she pops back in every once in a while to wreak havoc on his life)

and Watermelon - Marion Keyes (her husband leaves her right after she has his first baby).