Schedule A - state income tax

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katromero. Show katromero's posts

Schedule A - state income tax

Hi.  On Schedule A, on the line where I can deduct state and local income taxes, I entered the amount withheld from my W-2.  Can I also add in the amount on my 1099-R of state tax that was withheld from a normal distribution we took from our IRA?  We have not had an IRA distribution before so I don't know.  Is that state tax withheld considered to be state income tax?  Thank you. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MASocietyofCPAs. Show MASocietyofCPAs's posts

Re: Schedule A - state income tax

In Response to Schedule A - state income tax:
    [QUOTE]Hi.  On Schedule A, on the line where I can deduct state and local income taxes, I entered the amount withheld from my W-2.  Can I also add in the amount on my 1099-R of state tax that was withheld from a normal distribution we took from our IRA?  We have not had an IRA distribution before so I don't know.  Is that state tax withheld considered to be state income tax?  Thank you. 
    Posted by katromero[/QUOTE]

Dear katromero:

You are spot on.  ALL state withholdings and estimated payments are totaled and entered on that line for deduction on Schedule A.

Hope this helps in preparing your returns!

Mark H. Misselbeck, C.P.A., M.S.T., Tax Principal
    Katz, Nannis + Solomon, P.C.