Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

[QUOTE]I'll even add to it. When I was a kid and you went into a dunkin donuts. You ordered a donut and a cup of coffee. If you were staying there to eat and drink your coffee, the coffee was served in a ceramic mug and you sat at a counter. Back then Dunkin Donuts was a coffee shop - now it's a fast food restaurant.
    Posted by anthonya1962[/QUOTE]
    I remember those days.  The coffee was served in a cermanic mug, my future hubby took me there before my wedding shower.  You could even get real spoons to stir in the milk/sugar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesullivan27. Show lesullivan27's posts

discovery zone!  i had many birthday parties there

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Serviam. Show Serviam's posts

Rexall Drugs (North Shore Shopping Center, Peabody); Esso (Gasoline Stations); Burrows & Sanborn (Dept. Store, Lynn); T.W. Rogers (Dept. Store, Lynn); Almy, Bigelow & Washburn (Almy's Dept. Stores, Lynn and Beverly); Towne Paint (Beverly); Hobbytown (Liberty Tree Mall, Danvers); Whitings Milk (Marblehead/Salem); Turnstyle (Lynnway, Lynn); Purity Save-More (aka Purity Supreme, North Beverly); Hobby Caterers (North Beverly); Eric Fuch's (Scollay Sq, Boston); F.W. Woolworth Co. (Beverly, Ipswich); New England Stores (5 & 10 Chain, Lynn); Hoffman's (Lynn); Raymond's (when they sold clothing, Lynn); Heck Allen's Restaurant (Saugus/West Lynn line); Edwards Pharmacy (West Lynn); Rich's Department Store (Danvers); Jerry's Army-Navy (Lynn, Salem); Bickford's Family Restaurants (Somerville, Medford, Dedham, Needham, Braintree, Framingham); House of Models (Beverly); W.T. Grant Co. (5 & 10 Chain, Beverly, Lynn). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

[QUOTE]- ...Bought my first 'real' stereo...at Tech Hifi...Posted by gpp10[/QUOTE]
    ========
    I forgot all about Tech HiFi. I still have a pair of small TDC speakers I bought there. It wasn't that long ago I was still using them. My dentist has the same speakers in his office. When I bought them - FINALLY Tech HFi put them on sale - the sales guy said to me, "You've been waiting to buy these for a while, right?" Yes, I had been.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

[QUOTE]Also, who remembers Mr. Donut?
    Posted by cebubaby[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. There was one on 3A in Weymouth, just before the Back River bridge.
    My brother and I drove past it after some fishing in Hull, and he starts saying things backwards:
    "Retsim Tunod!"
    "Yrtsap and Sniffum!"
    I'm trying to keep the d*** car on the road, I'm laughing so hard. And it we were hardly kids at the time, just easily amused, I guess.
    "Niknud Stunod!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Heavenssake. Show 4Heavenssake's posts

Carter's:  my aunt bought us Xmas presents from there every years.

Bailey's:  dad used to take us there for treats on Sundays after dinner.

Zayre's:  you almost had to hold your nose from the dye in the fabrics, but where else could you buy flip-flops in every color for $1/pair?

Filene's:  but that's before some (a significant part) of their quality started going way downhill, before they tried to be everything to everyone and made it so it was nearly difficult/painful to walk between the racks of clothing; to say nothing of the fact that rather than grouping all the skirts, for instance, together, they started grouping merchandise by brand and price range.  That became a huge pain and made it a very less pleasant place to shop.  I think that can be blamed on whoever (I think maybe you mentioned Macy's) bought the chain or just delusions of grandeur.

I miss the old Jordan Marsh at "Shoppers World" in Framingham.

Crawford Hollidge in Wellesley (don't even know if they had other stores):  great place for mom's Xmas presents.

Linens 'n Things:  I think they got too big for their britches.

There used to be a place in Wellesley, quite near the college, that had the finest wool, cotton and linen clothing.  Whenever we had a "uniform holiday" at school everyone went there to get wonderful authentic sweaters and beautiful plaid skirts.

I hate shopping now.  Everything's the same everywhere.  There is no character and even among high-priced items there is little quality.

Thank God Levis haven't given up the ghost.  Yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

Steve's Ice Cream

There have been a number of mentions of Steve's Ice Cream.
    Steve's Ice Cream was bought out some time ago. I believe there ar no longer any more stores with that name. However, the Original Steve is still DBA Herrell's, of which there are six, including Cambridge and Northampton, MA.
    More:
    http://www.herrells.com/design/index.php?lv=28

I was told by a long-ago GF that Steve had got his hot fudge recipe from her grandmother. Now, I cannot verify that, but I can tell you we did use her grandma's hot fudge recipe and it tasted a lot like what you'd get at Steve's (and what you currently get at Herrell's).

Once, at a friend's wedding, my GF and I got into a conversation with a would-be rival of Steve's. His store was in Allston. At that time, ice cream emporiums were popping up everywhere. I told the ice-cream guy about the recipe and he offered my GF and me a year's supply of free ice cream for it.

"What should I do?" my GF asked me.
    "Wish him luck and hang on to the recipe," I replied.
    And that's what she did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Heavenssake. Show 4Heavenssake's posts

I forgot Grant's, Rexall drug stores, Woolworth's, and especially the original version (through the early 70s probably) of Friendly's (they alway served my mom's burgers in the one their early forms, just the way she liked them; and when I wanted a chocolate frappe, they knew or could be reminded that I wanted vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup).  Remember that there used to be a difference between a shake and a frappe at Friendly's?

Simpler world when people would actually listen to you (your order) and, if they were supposed to be "serving" you, they'd do their best to make you happy.  Maybe that's what I miss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Heavenssake. Show 4Heavenssake's posts

[QUOTE]Red Coach Grill...is back as the "Coach Grill".... http://www.coachgrillrestaurant.com/index.cfm?pid=10252 55 Boston Post Road Wayland, MA 01778
    Posted by GregRod87[/QUOTE]

Every single Mothers' Day, my father took us to Red Coach.  The waitress would start reading the specials and then she'd focus on us "all" (My p's went there for dinner a coupla time/month, so the staff all knew the two of them) and say, "Oh, your kids are meat eaters..." and then she'd skip all the fish (we did grow into that later in life, or at least some of us did).  The Red Coach was always wonderful and it was also the very first place my little brother (eight years old at the time starting to be the Mr. Polite he continues to be to this day) held the chairs for the (5) girls to be seated.  Very, very special memories.  Thank you so very much for reminding me.Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickyraptor. Show chickyraptor's posts

[QUOTE] George-Heyduke: But now that I think of it- they don't make the donuts at the shop anymore. Wow. I didn't even notice.
    [/QUOTE] Back then you'd bring home a dozen donuts, open up the box and it would smell like cigarette smoke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lynvick. Show lynvick's posts

Filene's Basement (original downtown location)
    Filene's. I miss the Valerie Stevens clothing line. And I too hate Macy's.
    Lechmere Sales (Cambridge and Danvers locations)
    Jordan Marsh, especially during Christmas with the Enchanted Village, animated windows, great toy department and of course, Santa Claus
    Woolworths--you could buy anything there. They even  had a restaurant in the basement.
    Bradlees--puts KMart and WalMart to shame
    Child World at Wellington Circle--way better than Toys R Us
    Anyone remember Coldstone restaurant behind Filene's back in the 60s?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lynvick. Show lynvick's posts

Buzzy's!! The best late night--after a club--meal in the city!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

In order:

1. Filene's. For anytime you needed clothes and shoes or a wedding gift, they always had something for any situation.
    2. Lechmere. For anytime you needed good luggage, a camera, or a blender.
    3. Bailey's.
    4. The Wursthaus in Harvard Square.
    5. Jordan Marsh. Still better than Macy's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parisi. Show Parisi's posts

[QUOTE]Some great memories here.  I remember the Kresge's in Roslindale Square (Corinth St.), where we bought turtles and goldfish (neither lived very long), and the Lechmere's in Dedham, where I bought my mother her first (and, come to think of it, only) color TV.  Remember when "Jordan's" had a record dept?  They had that smaller operation across from the bigger store.  I used to think of Filenes as being for "richer" folks.  Bradlees was right up the street from me on American Legion Hwy., just up from the fire station (true Bostonians don't think in terms of north or south).  There's a fun video on You Tube of the Celtics (in their 70s era shorts, which are kinda cool, actually) doing a Bradlees ad.  Now the Roslindale Bradlees is a Rent-A-Center, a chain that truly disgusts me; an operation whose sole mission is to rip-off (remember that term?) and exploit the innocent.  Zayre's was right down American Legion, the other way, headed toward Morton St.  There was also a place called "Sherbros."  Anyone remember that one?  A pox on chain stores.  I live in Michigan (Chelsea, named after Chelsea, Mass. actually), but I miss my home town.  I make every effort to "buy local."  It's the strength and backbone of American business.
    Posted by Jack-from-Roslindale[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parisi. Show Parisi's posts

To Jack from Roslindale:  I lived in Roslindale as a child and remember every single one of those stores.  My mother dragged us to all those stores.  I remember her pushing my sister and I in a baby carriage to Kresge's in Roslindale Square. She would buy us a hot chocolate with whipped cream for 10 cents.  I remember Sherbros.  It was named after the owners, the Sherman Brothers.  My parents would buy us toys there for Christmas.  I don't live in the area anymore of course, but my mother-in-law does so I do drive through there a lot.  I always see the area not as it is now but as it used to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimBru. Show SlimBru's posts

Mammoth Mart
    Bicycle Revival (Quincy)
    Underground Camera
    Filenes and Jordan Marsh (back when customer service meant something)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Definitely Lechmere!! The best store to look for a present, when you didn' t know what to buy for someone. They had everything.
    Also, kargiver is right. McDonald french fries used to be great, when they fried them in animal fat. Now they are whimpy, soft and tasteless. French fries are not a healthy item to begin with, so why not do them as they used to. Maybe McDonald should have two kinds to choose from. The real french fries (animal fat fried ones)  and the make believe french fries (the oil fried ones).

[QUOTE]Is there a store that's gone out of business - whether this past year or even 10 years ago - that you desperately miss shopping at? Is there a brand no longer available that you used to swear by? Share your memories of stores and brands of yesterday - and yesteryear.
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AugustWest2. Show AugustWest2's posts

Many great recollections in these posts.  Support real businesses, not faceless, soulless national chains with staff resembling teenage zombies.

Hobbytown
    Pewter Pot
    Rogers Peet, Arthur L. Johnsons, RH Sterns (clothing)
    Signor Pizza (Kenmore Square)
    Eric Fuchs (Tremont Street, Boston)
    Strawberries, Popcorns, Recordsmith - three record stores within two blocks!
    Q Audio
    Jack & Marions Restaurant

Reply to TorranceCA - that Brahmin building between Boylston and Newbury Streets was "Massachusetts Tech" (predecessor to MIT before they moved across the Charles River), the Boston Fine Arts Museum, and most recently Louis Boston clothing (soon to close, I've learned).

Moxie - love it - a cross between root beer and shoe polish.  The only soda my Dad would drink (he was a true Mainer).
    Zarex
    Quisp and Quake Cereals (they were fluorescent green)
    Sport Cola (banned by the FDA for containing cyclamates)
    Space Food Sticks
    Tang

We shopped at Dedham Child World around 1970, maybe earlier.  Wikipedia is wrong. Don't believe everything you read.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

[QUOTE]I left Boston in 1980. The stores that have always stuck in my mind were gone even then. Fronting the common at one time had been R.H.Stern's, Chandler's and Slattery's. All three exuded class that later NYC satellites like Lord and Taylor and Saks could not duplicate. When Chandler's left the common and got together in Conrad's store front, it wasn't the same. The only thing worthwhile about Gilchrist IMO were the macaroons and the smell of macaroons passing by. Raymond's was a hoot, but Citymart (which later filled the space) sucked. Jordan Marsh was a big yawn, nothing more. Filene's was decent. At the Arlington St. end of the Public Gardens, Martini Carl is a vivid memory. Got my first suit there. Mickey Finn was good for window shopping outboorsy recreational stuff. Of the five and dimes, Woolworth's was okay, but Neisner's across the street had the appropriate cheesy atmosphere. The roller grilled hot dogs were good there too. LOL  I remember a beautiful building that housed an exclusive shop next to Liberty Mutual Insurance. The building looked like an overzize Brahmin mansion. Can't remember the name of the shop. Can anyone help me out? It was across from FAO Schwartz and Brooks Brothers I think. Just an old geezer reminiscing. Apologies.
    Posted by torranceCA[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

[QUOTE]I left Boston in 1980. The stores that have always stuck in my mind were gone even then. Fronting the common at one time had been R.H.Stern's, Chandler's and Slattery's. All three exuded class that later NYC satellites like Lord and Taylor and Saks could not duplicate. When Chandler's left the common and got together in Conrad's store front, it wasn't the same. The only thing worthwhile about Gilchrist IMO were the macaroons and the smell of macaroons passing by. Raymond's was a hoot, but Citymart (which later filled the space) sucked. Jordan Marsh was a big yawn, nothing more. Filene's was decent. At the Arlington St. end of the Public Gardens, Martini Carl is a vivid memory. Got my first suit there. Mickey Finn was good for window shopping outboorsy recreational stuff. Of the five and dimes, Woolworth's was okay, but Neisner's across the street had the appropriate cheesy atmosphere. The roller grilled hot dogs were good there too. LOL  I remember a beautiful building that housed an exclusive shop next to Liberty Mutual Insurance. The building looked like an overzize Brahmin mansion. Can't remember the name of the shop. Can anyone help me out? It was across from FAO Schwartz and Brooks Brothers I think. Just an old geezer reminiscing. Apologies.
    Posted by torranceCA[/QUOTE]
    It was Bonwit Tellers, i remember going there with my mother when i was in the sixth grade to buy my first pair of hot pants, geesh i can still remember what they looked like, brown with white stitching, geesh i wish i still had legs like that

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

Anyone remember Orbits in Dorchester (before it became a Bradlees)?

And someone mentioned Service Merchandise. What a horrible place.
    You do your shopping and decide on what you want, you can't take it from the shelf, you have to fill out an order form, wait in line to hand it to clerk, then wait in line for another clerk to bring the item to you.
    And I think you had to fill out a form for each item.  An awful concept for retail!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HubbDave. Show HubbDave's posts

A & P Markets           Zarex, omg that stuff was gross!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ranger1. Show Ranger1's posts

Calvert's in Needham.  Good clothes, low prices, helpful service.  I was told that expansion onto the South Shore cost the the company too much money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFrancis. Show PatFrancis's posts

Caldors, Bradlees, Richs, The Fair, Circuit City, Spags, Lechmere, all gone.  There is little if any competition these days and the "Wal Mart" empire doesn't cut it.  I also miss Bailey's ice cream and brigams.  I'm surprised Bartley's Burgers in Harvard Square hasn't been replaced with some 'upscale' resturant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFrancis. Show PatFrancis's posts

Oh forgot AMES department stores also, killed off by the Wal Mart empire.