What is your favorite grocery store?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

What is your favorite grocery store?

I have to admit, I'm a big Publix fan from when I lived in Florida. Trader Joe's was fun, and I'm excited for the Wegmans "experience." But nothing compares to the selection and cleanliness of a Publix in my humble opinion. 

What is your favorite grocery store? Why? Check out rankings by Consumer Reports.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beep600. Show Beep600's posts

Re: What is your favorite grocery store?

Market Basket, by a country mile. Great prices, experienced helpful staff.
    The Globe article skews the CR study, because Wegms has only one store in the state, so why promote it? Strip away all the ones that we don't have here (and the Wegms PR), and Market Basket looks very good among the ones we have access to. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmmz. Show mmmz's posts

Market Basket is the best

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stew11863. Show Stew11863's posts

Market Basket by a mile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigduke. Show bigduke's posts

For bakery, produce, and specialty items we shop at Whole Foods.  Not cheap, but high quality and lots of organic offerings.

Everything else its either Wegmans, Roche Bros, or Stop & Shop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Agreed, duke, Whole Foods is expensive, but nothing is closer to the quality of going to your garden and picking produce than WFs, and one shouldn't expect to get that for the same price as things of generally lesser quality.

So, if I were wealthy, and WFs were nearby it would be my all-time fav, and I wouldn't go anywhere else.  

Amazon is my favorite grocery store!  Free shipping and the opportunity to buy cases of specialty canned goods, flour, etc.  I save a lot on gas and some on the food itself.  My favorite brands are Arrowhead Mills and Eden Organics.

A close second is Trader Joe's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BernheimBabe. Show BernheimBabe's posts

I have to pick the store most convenient to me, which is Stop & Shop. I shop here mostly because of their gas points program, which really makes a difference.

Trader Joe's is awesome, but it's not a one-stop-shop because they do not carry everything a large grocery store carries. You only go there for certain items.

Market Basket is great but soooo not convenient. Parking, lines, congestion...all deterrents from me shopping there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chubby. Show Chubby's posts

Market Basket, hands down.  More for your dollar.  Way more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toppie. Show toppie's posts

Absolutely Whole Foods--I am a vegetarian and eat only organic foods and they are the best by far for that..since I don't eat meat, I don't find WF expensive in fact when ever I go to Roche Bros...which is rarely... for some odd item..I ckeck out the organic produce there and it is #1 not as fresh as WF and in fact more expensive--so for me, it's WF hands down!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftOut. Show LeftOut's posts

Market Basket: By far the cheapest.  Deli prices for same items far below others.  MB Brand items identical to Hannaford Brand items (cereals) are almost always less expensive.   Not perfect, especially on Sunday PM when they are out of lots of stuff.  You may need to pick over the produce, as less than perfect stuff makes it out there.  Not as visually appealing, and a smaller specialty/organic selection than others.  No web site. But for the basics, you can't beat them.  Their Market Kitchen sandwiches have twice the meat of a Subway or D'Angelo's sub. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from punkrockefeller. Show punkrockefeller's posts

Joe Allen, I agree Publix is good, especially their fried chicken and bakery. Whole Foods is good for prepared foods and produce, but I can't fill may cart with their stuff. But let's face it folks, we all have to put up with the store's choice of music. WF's music makes me wanna blow chunks. Tough to concentrate when the Go-Go's are playing. Hannaford's has the best music, playing many indie hits and not too loud. S & S and Shaws are good for the money overall, but a grocery store is like a woman; you can't get everything you want in just one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from suspine. Show suspine's posts

Market Basket of course.  5 bags of groceries there equals 2 bags from Stop and Rob.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tlldrkhndy. Show tlldrkhndy's posts

The Market Basket in Chelsea, MA.
    Its newly built, massive, clean and has about 45 cash registers open on busy days.  The prices can't be beat and the staff is friendly and hardworking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JC126. Show JC126's posts

Market Basket is the best, by a BIG margin. 

I also buy some meat at McKinnon's Meat Market in Somerville. 

I sometimes buy little things - last minute stuff I've run out of - at Stop & Shop, but that's only because S&S stores are so much more conveniently located than MB stores are (unless you're lucky enough to live down the street from a Market Basket, of course!) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

I used to do Market Basket but it was never a one stop shop for me (they do not have a good selection of cheese, no specialty items, etc..). I stopped putting up with the congestion, lines and crazy shoppers, since I would need to go to another store anyway after spending 2 hours in MB.

My favorite regular store is Stop & Shop. Favorite for produce - Russo's.

Shaw's is aweful. For those prices might as well go to Whole Foods and get far higher quality.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bfcohen. Show bfcohen's posts

FOlks -
    I agree with the Market Basket rave.  Got hooked on them after they started upgrading their stores a few years ago.  MB Burlington is my store to go to and I pass 6 other markets to get there.  MUCH cheaper than anyone else.  Johnnies Foodmaster for meat and general funkiness.  Shaw's and Star manage to be both the most expensive and the dirtiest.  THey must really work at it to earn such low marks.

I buy produce and meat other places, so I am not so concerned with those.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomSelectah. Show BoomSelectah's posts

Market Basket is the best, easily.  Shaw's is great when the stuff is on sale, like the chicken.  They regularly put their chicken breasts on sale, usually $16 will go for $5-$6 on sale price.

But yeah, Market Basket is the best by far!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frisco2. Show Frisco2's posts

Wegmans beats everyone hands down for selection and quality, but they tend to be pricey on most items.  Staff there is very friendly and knowledgeable (disclaimner - I am originally from Rochester, NY, hometown of Wegmans, so I know them well).  Around here, I shop almost exclusively at Market Basket. They are friendly, knowledgeable and the prices beat everyone else hands down.   I do go into Stop and Shop on occasion for their loss leader specials (and to confirm they are still as expensive as I remember!).  Same for Roche Bros.  Hannaford is in between MB and S&S/RB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from farts_smell_great. Show farts_smell_great's posts

My favorite store is Ted's Grocery Emporium

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from my2centsalso. Show my2centsalso's posts

Market Basket is good for prices and their in-store kitchen for buying meals.  However, I find that their deli section goods spoil much quicker than other supermarkets.

I'm looking forward to Wegman's coming to Burlington.  I have shopped the one in Northborough a few times and found that the product selection is so much bigger.  Haven't done the price comparison yet.  And....their takeout area with all the different options cannot be beat

Stop and Shop used to be my favorite but their prices can't compare to MB.

I'm surprised Shaws is still in business

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

I shop at Shaw's because there are no crowds and no lines.   hmmmmmmm

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aristonice. Show aristonice's posts

Surprised that Trader Joe's made the top of the list. I enjoy shopping there, but it's best as a place for prepared/convenience foods than anything else. Like, I've never been able to find simple white table sugar there. And no sooner do I get hooked on one of their products (like the crustless breakfast quiches) than they stop making them. Whole Foods is simply ridiculous unless there are sales going on. I have to go with Market Basket on this one, but am looking forward to checking out Wegman's.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Market Basket hands down.  Definitely not Whole Paycheck, oh I mean Whole Foods. Having been to Wegman's in Rochester, I"m looking forward to the Burlington store. 

25. This post has been removed.