How do you save money on clothes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCBusinessStaff. Show BDCBusinessStaff's posts

How do you save money on clothes?

With cotton prices spiking in recent months, many clothing retailers have had to increase the prices of clothes, from shirts to jeans and everything in between.

How do you save money on clothes? Are there websites that you find have better deals than everywhere else?

Do you only shop at used clothing stores? Do you swap? Or do you simply not buy as many clothes as you used to?

Share your clothes-shopping saving strategies here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Im-at-work. Show Im-at-work's posts

Re: How do you save money on clothes?

Learning to sew.

Not so much for actually making clothes from by-the-yard fabric, but for being able to repair them, hem them, re-make them from one thing to another.

For example, you can take an old(er) jacket, replace the buttons, remove perhaps some flaps or other dated decorative details, shorten it (and/or the  sleeves), and it looks new & fresh again. Or cut a large, full skirt down to make an A-line or pencil skirt. Or remove the hood on a hoodie pullover & use the hood to re-craft a collar for the pullover.

Combine this re-work with great finds from Salvation Army & other thrift stores, and you can save a whole lot of cash.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quadropenta. Show Quadropenta's posts

Yard Sales--the absolute best thing.
    Its all I do Saturdays 7-noon all summer.
    Bought a bunch of stain removers and
    have saved some beautiful clothing,
    new but dirty/stained, bought for almost nothing.

Thrift shops--found some fantastic men's suits
    for $9 each. New. I believe the people who once
    owned them are now dead. :^)

Repairing/remaking. Will shorten sleeves,
    flip collars, use fabric from unseen areas
    to repair & replace worn areas. Have also
    re-cut clothing and sent it to a seamstress
    to piece back together. Only if its very high
    quality though. To me the key to sewing
    is to use basting stiches to hold everything
    together and then to slowly run it through
    the machine. Fabric glue can be useful to
    hold things together.

Buying off-season and from factory stores.
    I only buy brands like Land's End, Columbia, LL Bean etc 
    Its not worth messing around with low quality
    stuff.

Another thing is "buy for the rest of your life"
    If the clothing is very nice, I'll buy it even if
    it duplicates what I have. One needs to be
    careful to avoid hording. I get rid of clothing
    if its stuff I don't wear.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remdogcoc. Show Remdogcoc's posts

I shop at this great resale store in Malden - Tailored Impressions.  It's located at 15 Washington Street South and all proceeds go toward a nonprofit organization that helps low-income women return to the workforce.  www.tailoredimpressionsboutique.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

Here's what I do:
    • Use thrift shops, and the like
    • Buy from discount stores like Filene's Basement when there is a sale or on discount websites/outlets like LLBean, etc. (I miss the original Basement that was in Downtown Crossing.)
    • Swap/buy from friends who no longer need things
    • Buy fewer items of very good quality. They last longer, look better, and are more comfortable. 
    • Buy classics to always be in style
    • When possible, buy items from the men's department instead of the women's; Men's clothes are usually of much better quality.
    Lastly, I take good care of my clothes and repair them so that they will last longer.

_________

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red949. Show red949's posts

I shop only when needed and at thrift stores and discounters.  Look for the quality labels and only buy classic styles in neutral colors.  Also buy elastic waist and knits which are very forgiving when the weight fluctuates 5 or so pounds.  I also know how to sew and do my own alterations.  Example, I bought a cashmere sweater set at Salvation Army store and wore it to a bridal shower where the quest were mostly affluent, they raved about the set and how "smart it looked" I did wear a set of beautiful pearls with it but who knew but me where it came from. Now that's smart!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigredinmass. Show bigredinmass's posts

I'll still shop at Nordy's!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redflatshoe. Show redflatshoe's posts

In Response to How do you save money on clothes?:
    [QUOTE]With cotton prices spiking in recent months, many clothing retailers have had to increase the prices of clothes, from shirts to jeans and everything in between. How do you save money on clothes? Are there websites that you find have better deals than everywhere else? Do you only shop at used clothing stores? Do you swap? Or do you simply not buy as many clothes as you used to? Share your clothes-shopping saving strategies here.
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff[/QUOTE]

I only buy to replace now.  I like consignment shops but shops like Second Time Around are sometimes pricier than the sales rack at Macy's.  It depends on the shop and timing. 

One time, H&M had a clearance - I bought $1000 worth of clothes for $100.  I had enough office clothes for the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joddiemoore. Show joddiemoore's posts

I wanna answer your question and my answer is when it sales ,i mostly shop in a mall when its sales and in that way i save lot of money and i pay the debt collector at http://www.vismaduetto.fi/ .