Paying Down Credit Card Debt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peepastrini. Show peepastrini's posts

Paying Down Credit Card Debt

The suggestions from Bankrate.com are good, with the exception of Panel # 11, which is in error. Debt settlement salespeople are not credit counselors. When you use a true non-profit credit counselor, you don't pay less than the full principal balance owed. Your bank generally reduces your interest from the penalty rate, perhaps as high as 29.9%, to something as low as 7 or 8%. They'll also waive any late or overlimit fees you may currently be paying. The accounts you enroll in a debt management plan are closed in return for these concessions from your bank, but you'll save tons in interest without destroying your credit. If you settle a debt for less than the principal balance, in most cases you'll be liable for taxes on the amount forgiven that exceeds $600, unless you were actually insolvent at the time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from doofus54. Show doofus54's posts

Re: Paying Down Credit Card Debt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheistolerable. Show sheistolerable's posts

I'm glad to hear that. How do you tell whether a counseling service is legit or not? (I think I need help from one.) I looked at debtadvice.org but some of the enterprises sound more like things that would advertise on late night TV. Thanks for this! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joddiemoore. Show joddiemoore's posts

This is sound great cause we all know that we love reducing interest rate.In Finland i use to work in a accounting firm or tilitoimisto and i also use to avoid getting an high interest rate so that i am paying it immediately so that i can save some interest.