Who is the breadwinner in your house?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCEditor. Show BDCEditor's posts

Who is the breadwinner in your house?

A new study indicates that more and more women are assuming the role of household breadwinner of the household. Who is the breadwinner in your house? Has your wife or significant other assumed a greater portion of the household incoming? Share your stories and opinions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from knewjax hockey. Show knewjax hockey's posts

Re: Who is the breadwinner in your house?

I'm not married so my opinion doesn't matter much but to me it wouldn't matter and it shouldn't matter.  A husband and wife should work as a team not as individuals to one up each other on who makes more money.  For some it's as if they are keeping score to use the beadwinner fact to their advantage with making decsions.  If my wife made more than me I would be totally fine with that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When we go to the grocery store, I figure one loaf of bread ( maybe two) is enough for the week for two people. But, I usually get over ruled and we often end up with as many as three loaves of bread, rolls, and other bread-like products that go stale before we eat them and end up going out to the birds.

I make the most money, but I am not the "breadwinner."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

When we go to the grocery store, I figure one loaf of bread ( maybe two) is enough for the week for two people. But, I usually get over ruled and we often end up with as many as three loaves of bread, rolls, and other bread-like products that go stale before we eat them and end up going out to the birds.

I make the most money, but I am not the "breadwinner."

Haha..well given those paremeters then I am decidedly not the breadwinner in my house either..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a "50's housewife" after having had a lucrative career.  Obviously, DH is the bread winner, but like knewjax said, it's a full partnership.  I don't sit around and eat bon bons...he does his jobs and I do mine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

I'm a "50's housewife" after having had a lucrative career.  Obviously, DH is the bread winner, but like knewjax said, it's a full partnership.  I don't sit around and eat bon bons...he does his jobs and I do mine.

Hi Kar..and no one should ever question or assume that you eat bon-bons!!! I was lucky enough to be able to stay at home when my son was younger.(many..many years ago!) We sacrificed a lot of extras for me to do this but we both felt strongly about it so we did cheap family vacations, didn't eat out a lot and had only one car.

Now I find myself in the sort of opposite. I am definitely the primary breadwinner and DH takes on the other responsibilities in between contract work. We are definitely partners though in every sense..and both very happy in our roles.

But...he does the grocery shopping so he still wins the battle of the bread every week :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, miscricket!  But, they do assume that because we don't have kids. Someone at work very snidely asked me, "What will you DO all day??!"  

My crowning achievement of last year was learning how to can (pressure and water bath).  We are still eating the tomato sauce (among other things including my favorite childhood snack, green tomato pickles) I put up last year!  That's WORK.  Can't wait for this year's crop.

I think you hit on our key to happiness, too - we enjoy and are appreciated for the roles we fill.  Everything gets done, and done well, because we work together.  It doesn't really matter who does what as long as each person's gifts and talents are utilized and appreciated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Thanks, miscricket!  But, they do assume that because we don't have kids. Someone at work very snidely asked me, "What will you DO all day??!"  

My crowning achievement of last year was learning how to can (pressure and water bath).  We are still eating the tomato sauce (among other things including my favorite childhood snack, green tomato pickles) I put up last year!  That's WORK.  Can't wait for this year's crop.

I think you hit on our key to happiness, too - we enjoy and are appreciated for the roles we fill.  Everything gets done, and done well, because we work together.  It doesn't really matter who does what as long as each person's gifts and talents are utilized and appreciated.

Kar..I am so jealous and impresssed! I would love to learn how to can. Especially since I don't like to waste anything. My cans all summer. He has a huge and amazing garden. He makes some great things. My personal favorite are zucchini pickles.

Thanks..I think a strong sense of partnership is the key to relationship success.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joddiemoore. Show joddiemoore's posts

I agree with this.My sister is a breadwinner too in our family and the fact that i can't help yet cause i am still paying some debt coming from debt collection in Finland country at http://www.ktcfinland.fi/ and hopefully be debt free in order to help my parent and sisters to financial stuff at home.