What tablets are you interested in?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCBusinessStaff. Show BDCBusinessStaff's posts

What tablets are you interested in?

Sure, Apple created the market the iPad, and is still the tablet industry leader. But a multitude of other companies have released or unveiled thier plans for tablet computers in recent months -- from the Blackberry Playbook to the Motorola Xoom, and beyond.

What tablet(s) are you interested in? Have you already bought one? Who will be the major players a year from now?

Related: Guide to the latest tablet computers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gweduck. Show gweduck's posts

Re: What tablets are you interested in?

Granted Apple is the leader in the tablet market, but as to why would you want anything but and Apple?   SIZE.   In my opinion, I think smaller, more portable tablets will be in demand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OffshoreSoxfan. Show OffshoreSoxfan's posts

I didn't see the Toshiba Tablet listed. I like this one because it has a couple of data ports.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mc01776. Show mc01776's posts

First on my list is the Motio CL900. I've seen the larger tablet from Motion and am very impressed. Looking forward to seeing the smaller model soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from djudo95. Show djudo95's posts

iPad 2 without question... It was raining tablets at CES. The iPad 2 will serve as the umbrella. Only a small handful of these tablets will actually make it to market. Motorola, Samsung, Toshiba... Oh... Apple's apparently got a lock on 60% of available touch screens... it's gonna be tough for everyone else to divvy up that 40%. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xfiles45. Show xfiles45's posts

Will wait to see - and purchase the best, most productive, but cost effective unit.

Will not rush to buy - like all the other lemmings did when Verizon launched the Iphone4, those individuals will be sorry in two months when the Iphone5 hits the market.

People need to wait and exert patience when it comes to these gadgets or else GET BURNED... These jacka** companies feed on people like that. They lock u into two year contracts and your screwed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, xfiles, I am slow to pull the trigger, not because I don't want one, but because I don't want a newly released one.  And, when they keep releasing improved ones fast and furiously, the latest one is always "newly released."  So, I don't know when I'll get one.  I'm ambling along OK without an iphone or ipad so far.

However, we're installing a house alarm, and you can get an app to control it from a smart device so ipad 2, maybe?  Are people using them as phones?  Can you get any carrier?  AT&T is the only mobile service that works at our house so if that's not an option, forget it - we don't have a land line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebob-boston. Show ebob-boston's posts

Xoom won't have Flash support when it ships so its initial reviews will show better battery life. Flash support will ship later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from headergirl. Show headergirl's posts

I have an iPad and love it.  I needed a portable device for school and tutoring students and it works perfectly for those purposes.  It cost far less than a laptop and the accessories are very inexpensive.  I did not purchase 3G because wifi is available everywhere, so it's a total waste of money.  I use a bluetooth keyboard with the quickoffice app when I need to compose lenghty docs.  This app is almost better than office itself.  My students love the apps I share with them.  The iPad OS is clean, fast, easy to learn and most of the apps are either free or dirt cheap.  My favorite app is flipboard, and I highly recommend it to all news junkies.

I love my iPad but I am getting exactly what I need.  You need to think about the reasons why you are purchasing a tablet and go from there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondzn. Show bostondzn's posts

I would love an iPad but unfortunately it doesn't have flash on it and there is just too much of the web missing. I'll wait till a real android contender comes out and maybe think about getting one then. BTW - I have an iPhone, a MacBook pro and an iMac. I love apple computers, but can't get over the missing flash support on their devices... Too bad Apple is greedy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NikM. Show NikM's posts

I have been using a G-tablet from Viewsonic since the end of Novembar of last year, It has almost identical specifications to the the Xoom, and runs Android FROYO or android 2.2, With a few tweaks this device convinced a family member that they would be better of with an android phone, as opposed to the iphone4 (from verizon). Just like android on the phone, android on the tablets is going to be the dominent force simply due to the fact that there are multiple vendors, as opposed to just 1.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NikM. Show NikM's posts

In Response to Re: What tablets are you interested in?:
    [QUOTE]Xoom won't have Flash support when it ships so its initial reviews will show better battery life. Flash support will ship later.
    Posted by ebob-boston[/QUOTE]

Flash will work on the Xoom, just wont be official. There is a working version of the flash apk available for download that works on terga2 devices. It is version 10.1
    a simple search will bring up the file. The official version will be pushed to the device in approximately 2 weeks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from minterbartolo. Show minterbartolo's posts

I bought my wife an Archos 70 for Christmas because she wanted an e-reader. it was less than $300 wifi only 7" tablet and she loves it. It runs Froyo, Flash,  and very comfortable in one hand. 

iOS and it's app drawer user interface might be nice on the small space of a phone but with the added screen size of a tablet it is nice to have widgets to get instant access to calendar, email, settings. iOS5 could learn a lot from how android handles notifications, and widgets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from minterbartolo. Show minterbartolo's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, what tablets are actually available, I ask? And why, oh why, would I want anything but an Apple product?
    Posted by morbius[/QUOTE]

Quite a few Android tablets are out already Samsung Galaxy Tab, Archos 70/101, Notion Ink, G-Tab all running Flash, front facing cameras microSD slots so you can change your storage size as you see fit not have to get locked in at purchase time. Plus Widgets that make the larger screen size useful to get instant access to information, settings etc instead of the bland nothing but app icons of iOS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbit88. Show rabbit88's posts

The problem is not necessarily better tablets on the market, but the ease-of-use, set-up, and distribution of media content from one's own digital collection.

Since I have all my photos in Apple's iPhoto,  iTunes just makes it easy to sync our media collection to my iPhone, and my wife's iPod/iPhone, Apple TV, our Macbooks, etc .

Imagine if we own a different phone, different music player, different computers.  We'll beat ourselves up copying files to this and that device which runs their own sync software.

Being in the Apple ecosphere just kind of streamlines everything as far as personal media distribution and sharing.  This is the advantage Apple has that other manufacturers cannot compete with.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but you gotta consider the time wasted on moving/managing content.  Oh yeah, I can also go to the Apple store to take my frustrations out on a Mac genius should I need to. (:

In Response to What tablets are you interested in?:
    [QUOTE]Sure, Apple created the market the iPad, and is still the tablet industry leader. But a multitude of other companies have released or unveiled thier plans for tablet computers in recent months -- from the Blackberry Playbook to the Motorola Xoom, and beyond. What tablet(s) are you interested in? Have you already bought one? Who will be the major players a year from now? Related: Guide to the latest tablet computers
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NikM. Show NikM's posts

Similarly if you are not in the Apple ecosystem, You are potentially in the Microsoft ecosystem, or the Google ecosystem. But if you want true platform ignorance, you use storage that is accesible anywhere anytime the buzzword "cloud" services like dropbox, mediafire, windowslive, all allow you online storage which can be accessed anywhere.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from minterbartolo. Show minterbartolo's posts

[QUOTE]Similarly if you are not in the Apple ecosystem, You are potentially in the Microsoft ecosystem, or the Google ecosystem. But if you want true platform ignorance, you use storage that is accesible anywhere anytime the buzzword "cloud" services like dropbox, mediafire, windowslive, all allow you online storage which can be accessed anywhere.
    Posted by NikM[/QUOTE]
    and there are programs like Doubletwist that can pull from iTunes and elsewhere and wireless sync with android devices so if folks do break free from the walled garden it is not a big hassle to migrate as they might be lead to believe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbit88. Show rabbit88's posts

I'm in IT. It is easy to think the population are all Linux geeks and command-line junkies (I am one).  In reality, I'm "guestimating" the population is 98% non-techies who don't operate under the hood of an OS/hardware.

As a techie myself with a family, I don't have time at home to set up servers/cloud services.  I have adjusted to work/family balance.

[QUOTE]Similarly if you are not in the Apple ecosystem, You are potentially in the Microsoft ecosystem, or the Google ecosystem. But if you want true platform ignorance, you use storage that is accesible anywhere anytime the buzzword "cloud" services like dropbox, mediafire, windowslive, all allow you online storage which can be accessed anywhere.
    Posted by NikM[/QUOTE]

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from minterbartolo. Show minterbartolo's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not interested in any.  I view the tablet craze as just the latest fad and push by the manufacturers and wireless companies to make you think you need another gadget to live. Between my work laptop, office phone, home laptop, home phone, and my blackberry - I have enough(or too many) ways to be connected to anything and everything out there.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

pretty useful for casual web surfing, quick email (the laptop's physical keyboard is still better for long email responses) watching movies (mine has a kickstand which is nice for the movie watching on the plane) and playing games. my wife uses it as a e-reader(kindle, nook, aldiko and google book apps) at night in bed. and the 7" is light enough and comfortable to read one handed. I wasn't sold on the whole tablet usefulness at first, but my wife wanted an e-reader and I figured for less than $300 a full fledged tablet was better than the B/W kindle. I find myself at night some nights using the laptop some nights the Archos more because of Facebook since the tablet doesn't do profiles (something I wish Honeycomb and iOS5 would take up) and it is set up for her account.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jim-anthony. Show jim-anthony's posts

I am working with the I-pad as well as Driod tablets. All are useful. I lean toward the Droid products as the are available from many manufactures making it easier, and less expensive, to have choices.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stitch41. Show stitch41's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, what tablets are actually available, I ask? And why, oh why, would I want anything but an Apple product?
    Posted by morbius[/QUOTE]

Well, because Apple is obnoxious and censoring, and treats its users like complete idiots.  But that's just me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdk. Show rdk's posts

You forgot the most flexible tablet out there!!!

The Acer Iconia A500 is a great 10.1” tablet running Android Honeycomb 3.1. It is a bit heavier than the iPad2 and the new 10” Galaxy, but I like the substantial feel better. I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and a USB cordless mouse with it and stopped lugging around my laptop!

It also comes standard with 2 USB ports (for hard drives, thumb drives, etc), rear & front facing cameras as well as a micro-HDMI port for connecting to your HDTV. The “thinner” iPad and Samsung require brand-specific adapters to connect to anything. Have you ever lost an apapter or cable before? Buy the way... it’s also less expensive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from leegart. Show leegart's posts

Where is the wonderful Toshiba Thrive with its 2 usb port, one HDMI port and SD card reader?  It is far more versatile because of its connectivity. With the Honeycomb OS, it has and does everything you need.

How did you miss this?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Two features, above all:  Battery life and weight.  Then I run up against the touchscreen keyboard.  I just can't get it, whether it's resistive or capacitive. 

Otherwise, OK, price, too:  First, no, not $500.  Shame about the HP tablet, even if it was WebOS.  Powerful machine on all other accounts.  $100 would have brought me onboard and along, and maybe I would have learned to type where there isn't a patent response.  I have been looking at the Cruz and the Craig (@CVS!) at < $100.  As one of the "98%", I don't need much except email, web, and YouTube level of motion.  The occasional thing a friend would send.  And wifi.  If I want more, I'll go to my old laptop, which I'll leave at home.  And it looks like I don't need to find apps; they'll find me.

Interesting to see the rollout and evolution of thinking since last Christmas.  I had heard the rumor that the tablets were being held back, so as to allow the manufacturers and middlemen to unload their inventory of laptops over the holiday season.  Then I heard that this tablet keyboard issue was keeping the netbook in the running -- the latter still answering the weight and battery life issues.  I already can do without a disk drive, but still need a keyboard peripheral?  Where's the net gain?