Anal Glands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from The Goat. Show The Goat's posts

Anal Glands

I have a 1 year old Great Dane mix with lab, female , who has to have her anal glands expressed about every 4 - 6 weeks .She was on Beneful until I got her away from it and eating Merrick which she loved and she had the same problem.The Vet suggested Natural Balance she has been on it for a week now and she still licking . She will only eat the Natural Balance dry if I mix it with Natural Balance wet. She is on Prozac 30mg for aggression towards other dogs . Is the wet food o.k. for her ? And any ideas about her glands ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Anal Glands

Re: anal glands, are you expressing them yourself?  If you are I would check with your vet and ask if once a week might be better (gently of course)  so that it doesn't build up to the point of bothering her.

There are some excellent how to videos on youtube.

Good for you for realizing that medication for behavioral issues can be helpful :)

AngellVets will probably comment....but I think some dogs just tend to have this problem with their anal glands.

Have you tried a grain free dry food?  I recently discovered Nutrisca and Innova Prime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The Goat. Show The Goat's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

Re: anal glands, are you expressing them yourself?  If you are I would check with your vet and ask if once a week might be better (gently of course)  so that it doesn't build up to the point of bothering her.

There are some excellent how to videos on youtube.

Good for you for realizing that medication for behavioral issues can be helpful :)

AngellVets will probably comment....but I think some dogs just tend to have this problem.

Have you tried a grain free dry food?  I recently discovered Nutrisca and Innova Prime.

Hi , no I am not expressing them myself ,the vet tried teaching me!! Medication for behavioral came from Angell. She has been on Natural Balance grain free for a week now on advice of Vet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I'm no expert but I add a little bit of boiled chicken/lean cooked red meat or scrambled egg

Just a spoonful added to the dry makes a big difference, I use canned food the same way occasionally.

Even a spoonful of chicken broth poured over the dry makes them like it.

I have used Natural Balance and thought it was a very good item.  The only reason I tried other products was because I thought my dog had food allergies, to the point that I eliminated potato!   It turned out she has no food allergies, just environmental.

Also, I tell everyone, start brushing the teeth, you may be able to avoid professional cleanings down the road...again,  youtube for how to videos.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Anal sac licking can sometimes indicate allergies-- and in particular a food allergy. The diet has to be a truly hypoallergenic diet if that is the case.  These diets are only available as prescription, or homemade through a veterinary nutritionist.  Nothing over the counter is appropriate if indeed there is a food allergy.  Another issue can be related to stool density. Sometimes fiber in the form of bran can be added to the food to bulk up the stool and keep the anal sacs emptied

Composition of the food(canned vs dry) is not as important as quality of ingredients in the food.  I can't offer much else having not seen your dog - but this should give you some context to take to your vet when you next visit.  Good luck!

Dr. Joel Kaye, Angell Animal Medical Center