Best Water Fountain For My Cat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendi. Show Wendi's posts

Best Water Fountain For My Cat

Hi,

My cat is in the hospital as we speak as his urethra became blocked :-(

I want to get a water fountain for him, and have it ready when he comes home from the hospital.

I'm just not sure which one is the best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from obeebs. Show obeebs's posts

Re: Best Water Fountain For My Cat

I can't say it's the best, but I'll share my experiences thus far with the Deluxe Fresh Flow from PetMate. 

I preferred a bubbler, fountain type that some of the other brands offered (knowing my cats penchant for lickinng bubbling water), but enough reviewer complaints about cleaning the device made me weary.  I opted for the PetMate since it was cheaper and, if it didn't work out, I didn't feel like I was breaking a bank to buy this.

Overall, it's been good.  I do see my cats enjoying the water more than in a stagnant bowl.  The device is simple to assemble, though it requires (for me) a weekly cleaning to ensure errant food bits and fur don't clog the pump.  Cleaning is fairly simple though there are a few places that involve tiny, narrow chambers that require getting a finger or a Q tip in there to clean out the "slime" from the water.  I also take the pieces apart for a thorough cleaning.

It comes with a small number of filtering pads that need replacement every few months.  I haven't had to buy replacements yet, and I hope it's an easy process (my package came with an extra set I'm still working through). 

I refill the tank every 2-3 days.  You need to watch for overfilling as it can  leak, if you're not careful.   I also find you want to have water that at least covers the pump/motor, or you will have an awful churning sound that is very loud.  The device is virtually silent otherwise.

For me, I am happy with the product, but I also don't have anything to compare it to.  Definitely beats the water bowls though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from collegeprofinboston. Show collegeprofinboston's posts

Ditto on the petmate. I clean it in the dishwasher once a week, have to change the water twice a week because the cats get food particles in it. Overall, I love it though, and it has been working well for > 4years. At the price, its a good deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenSarah. Show GreenSarah's posts

I am sorry your cat was so ill and had to have surgery. In addition to getting a water fountain, I'd switch him to wet food if he is on dry now. I found www.catinfo.org very helpful. Hope he'll feel better soon!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluesandpiper. Show bluesandpiper's posts

I have the basic Drinkwell fountain. There's also a deluxe version. It works well for my two cats. A little noisy but it's kind of like an aquarium air pump-like noise.

I second the Catinfo.org web site :) A diet with more water (ie canned food) will help with the urinary problems, as well as prevent a whole bunch of other issues commonly caused by dry food.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our dog got a urinary tract infection and was on antibiotics, and as part of aftercare I got her this urinary health supplement:

Kidney Support

Sorry your dear buddy had to have surgery!  I second the person who said to switch the food.  It's not just dehydration in isolation that causes issues like this.

Best!