Re: Bone Cyst in a Cat
posted at 7/8/2013 1:17 PM EDT
Hi there, thank you for your comments RockinRobin! The vet I'm seeing is very good. We are still awaiting biopsy results, but in the meantime, to ease pain, they did treat it as a cyst and scraped out the dead tissue. I'm praying it's not cancer so he can keep the leg, but I understand that if he has to lose it, it's gotta go. I'd rather have him alive, happy, healthy and with me than not!
That is VERY interesting about the rabies vaccine! I had no idea! I'm not sure where the injection site was to be honest, but wow, that article has got me thinking. He only had the one injection when he was a kitten (I adopted him from a shelter that required a check up and vaccines) but he has had no vaccines or anything since. Now I'm wondering if I should avoid them altogether. Thank you so much! I appreciate it.
In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
Just my 2 cents while you are waiting for Angell vet to respond.
He is a young cat, so if it was my pet I would try to save the leg. If the vet thinks it is a viable option.
Is your vet a specialist?
But, I would consider the recovery process, the amount of pain and discomfort involved with either option.
Cats are resilient, so if you have to do the amputation he will adjust, but he will be vulnerable and probably need to be kept indoors.
By any chance is the cyst located near the injection site where he got his rabies vaccine?
Best of luck.