Cat won't eat or drink after visit to ER

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StotheS. Show StotheS's posts

Cat won't eat or drink after visit to ER

I have a 4.5 year old indoor cat who was making repeated visits to the litter box with no bowel movement or urination.  I took him to vet who did blood work, urinalysis, and ultrasound.  No signs of infection, blockage, stones, etc.  Was prescribed buprenex for pain and something with a p to control urethra spasms.  After visit I noticed impacted anal glands and expressed them.  Medications were administered via syringe (no needle) orally through Sunday, today is Tuesday.  Cat has stopped eating and drinking.  Behavior is otherwise normal.  Will eat treats.  What could be wrong that vet tests didn't check for?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Cat won't eat or drink after visit to ER

Not eating or drinking is a medical emergency (at least for a dog, 72 hours) not sure about cats, I would take the cat to Angell or the nearest emergency place.

It will cost you, but you will get a diagnosis and treatment options within an hour or two. 

Otherwise,  call your vet back and let him know the treatment prescribed was not productive, see what he recommends.

PS: Keep checking back, Angell vets respond sporadically, but it sounds to me like your cat needs immediate attention.

Cats can become dehydrated quickly.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

oops/repeat post

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Try posting over at the Petco forums    http://community.petco.com/t5/the-purr/ct-p/CatCommunity

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StotheS. Show StotheS's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not eating or drinking is a medical emergency (at least for a dog, 72 hours) not sure about cats, I would take the cat to Angell or the nearest emergency place.

It will cost you, but you will get a diagnosis and treatment options within an hour or two. 

Otherwise,  call your vet back and let him know the treatment prescribed was not productive, see what he recommends.

PS: Keep checking back, Angell vets respond sporadically, but it sounds to me like your cat needs immediate attention.

Cats can become dehydrated quickly.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input RR.

Angell is where I took the cat initially.  I took him into the ER late Tuesday (10/8) and he was admitted, kept for about 20 hours.  While there he "injured himself" and came back with a bloody paw and a missing nail.  I have been trying to avoid another stressful overnight stay.  The ER doc at Angell missed his impacted anal glands during the physical exam.  I have learned that impacted anal glands can also contribute to frequent unproductive visits to the litter box.  I have since expressed his glands and his litter box behavior has returned to normal.  I think the medications, administered orally, caused him discomfort in his mouth and deterred him from eating/drinking normally.  He started eating and drinking again last night, he has eaten this morning as well.  I will continue to closely monitor him, I have marked all his water bowls so I can confirm whether or not he is drinking out of sight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I would call the er dr and let him know he missed the anal gland impaction, if they found it first, maybe he wouldn't have needed some of the diagnostic testing.

Did they know about his injuries, the er I go to allows 1 free recheck within the first 24 hours after the visit.

They should at least give you some antibiotic ointment for that paw.

ETA: When they took his temp they didn't notice???

Angell vets, please step up and offer this client a free recheck, the cat might need antibiotics?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StotheS. Show StotheS's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would call the er dr and let him know he missed the anal gland impaction, if they found it first, maybe he wouldn't have needed some of the diagnostic testing.

Did they know about his injuries, the er I go to allows 1 free re-check within the first 24 hours of the visit.

They should at least give you some antibiotic oinment for that paw.

ETA: When they took his temp they didn't notice???

Angell vets, please step up and offer this client a free recheck, the cat might need antibiotics?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delayed response RR.

I notified the ER of my displeasure and spoke with a doctor who saw him.  Unfortunately there was the ER docter who saw him and recommended admittance, then at least two doctors that I know of who saw him during the day and performed the test.  With so many people involved its tough to really get anything straight.

The hospital knew of the injuries, they alerted me to them in the discharge papers.  Apparently he was very aggressive and problematic while in the unit.  I have never seen him show any aggression, he has never even scratched anyone let alone tried to bite, so it is hard for me to fully understand what they were dealing with.

The doctor will be following up with me after our latest conversation.  I'm in a bit of a mental limbo over the whole thing at the moment.  I'm not a complainer by nature but I am pretty upset and I want to keep voicing that but I'm not getting much of a response.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I know what you mean, I really appreciate that the ER places are available 24/7 in case of an emergency.

However,  I have often found that the vets (especially after hours) tend to be young, and I wonder if they are learning on the job, so to speak.

My last experience did not go smoothly :(    (not Angell, another ER)

It seems very businesslike and cold to me nowadays, compared to back when.

Anyway, I hope your cat is feeling better and you find a vet you can trust, or better yet, you won't need one for a while.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Thought maybe you might find this article helpful, from today's Herald:

Dear Dr. John,

I recently became the owner of a young kitten that has been very healthy until recently when he developed a constipation problem with some bleeding. I took him to see a veterinarian, and after doing a fecal examination that revealed no parasites, the kitten was placed on a cat laxative and a higher-fiber food.

The problem persists and, despite two more visits, the kitten continues to get blocked up and has a swollen and bulging backside.

The vet’s office also did an enema to help clean him out, but the problem just seems to come back. What might have caused this problem initially, and what else might be done to resolve the problem? — M.B.

Dear M.B.,

It is hard to know what may have caused the initial problem of constipation in an otherwise normal and healthy kitten, but usually it is dietary related with either a change in food or eating something that bound him up.

In older cats, underlying health issues such as mega­colon may lead to chronic ­obstipation/constipation, which, as the name suggests, is a large dilated colon that has trouble emptying naturally. In these cases, stool softeners, specific diets and other medications may be needed as well as possible surgical intervention.

If your kitten or any cat is constipated long enough, the inability to defecate can lead to ­atony or lack of nerve stimulation to the intestines. When this happens, the body cannot eliminate naturally, and physical or medical means are necessary to empty the area.

In the case of a young kitten, I would start by making sure the stools are softened after the use of enemas or digital means are used to empty the colon. Initially I would turn to lactulose to soften the stool, feed the cat a high-fiber prescription diet, possibly add Miralax, and then possibly use a drug such as cisapride to help stimulate peristaltic movement of the intestines to help move the feces along. The odds are that this will all work out, no pun intended.

Source URL: http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/lifestyle/2013/11/owner_seeks_to_put_end_to_kitten_s_constipatition

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

In response to StotheS' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a 4.5 year old indoor cat who was making repeated visits to the litter box with no bowel movement or urination.  I took him to vet who did blood work, urinalysis, and ultrasound.  No signs of infection, blockage, stones, etc.  Was prescribed buprenex for pain and something with a p to control urethra spasms.  After visit I noticed impacted anal glands and expressed them.  Medications were administered via syringe (no needle) orally through Sunday, today is Tuesday.  Cat has stopped eating and drinking.  Behavior is otherwise normal.  Will eat treats.  What could be wrong that vet tests didn't check for?

[/QUOTE]

I know sometimes readers are disappointed when I say to “Call your vet,” but I would check in with your veterinarian and discuss what is going on. Is your cat now urinating and defecating 100% normally (I wasn;t sure how to interpret the “behavior is 100% normal” if that included eliminations)? I am not sure exactly what blood tests may have been run already if there is anything additional that would be recommended. It does seem a little strange to be side effects of medication 3 days after the last dose was given, but still could have been what started the problem with his appetite. Your vet may want to recheck your cat however for a fever or signs of abdominal discomfort, or may at least offer symptomatic care such as medications to combat nausea and or promote his appetite, or some fluids.  I am happy to hear he is eating treats however! Maybe tempt him with some favorite canned food and/or mix the treats in and see if you can get him jump-started. But I would let your vet know the current status so you can all be on the same page. Good luck!

Dr. Susan O'Bell, Angell Animal Medical Center