Dog Ligament Injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Dog Ligament Injury

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Dog Ligament Injury

Behold! The power of Google!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poor Gracie, here she is having recovered from TPLO surgery (clutching her disease-ridden antler), clearly wishing someone smarter, i.e., someone who could use Google, had adopted her. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

<sarcasm>To bad you did try rest and time off to see if that would help.  Maybe you should have let her limp on it all summer instead of several weeks and left her in pain to see if maybe she just needed more time</sarcasm>

btw Kar, I broke down and got my puppy an antler, he loves it.  My father in law hunts, I might have to ask him to keep an eye out for shed antlers for me this year.

(for that matter, why is this in the Ask a Vet section??)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Dog Ligament Injury:
    [QUOTE]<sarcasm />To bad you did try rest and time off to see if that would help.  Maybe you should have let her limp on it all summer instead of several weeks and left her in pain to see if maybe she just needed more time</sarcasm> btw Kar, I broke down and got my puppy an antler, he loves it.  My father in law hunts, I might have to ask him to keep an eye out for shed antlers for me this year. (for that matter, why is this in the Ask a Vet section??)
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

Glad your pup loves his antler, too!  We'll boil whatever we find in the woods to clean it; DH is also on the lookout.  He hikes a lot in the woods.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just long enough to zap the outside.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We discussed this at length when you posted your article about antlers being dangerous because of a mad cow like disease.  The velvet is the only dangerous (and that is debated, mostly refuted, actually) part of the antler.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You posted an article about a parasite on antlers that was refuted by most other articles about that prion, but one said that it's possible that the velvet could carry it.  The velvet is essentially long worn off before a deer sheds its antlers, anyway, but I figured boiling them for a few seconds couldn't hurt.  The "mad cow"-like prions affect cells of the nervous system, not bones and antlers.  Antlers seem like the safest thing on earth as far as I can see, not prone to splinter, have diseases, etc.  And, they last a long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

[QUOTE]  http://blog.embracepetinsurance.com/2011/06/harmful-animal-sourced-dog-chews.html     I still think this is a good article,  it was written by a veterinarian.     I wouldn't post something if I thought the information wasn't relevant.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

www.mneba.org/cwd.cfm "CWD disease affects the brain and central nervous system of deer and elk. There is no scientific evidence that antler, muscle tissue or other parts of the animal contain CWD prions."

The CDC does advise that its present in the antler velvet, but not in the antler itself.

Since you know how to use Google, try researching before trying to cause panic.  Being written by a vet does not mean that the information is correct, it just means that the vet is presenting what he knows.  You still have to do your own research to see what the actual research says.  Panicking because you found an article that advises you to panic is not usefull and only makes you look like a crackpot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rtuh, the antler thread (awhile ago) mysteriously conincided with my asking about where people buy their antlers, and this one is mysteriously coincidental with a bunch of TPLO stuff I've posted.  Now, that I find "interesting."  As for wanting to be helpful, I think that's a ruse, and that idea is by your observation that the articles she posts are all highly refuted by reputable sources.  If she truly cared (or was a decent vet professional) she'd do the research necessary to know this, as you astutely pointed out she doesn't do.

I think she stops "researching" when she finds something to refute whatever it is I'm doing without concern for its validity or supporting evidence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I know, it just occasionally pushes my "brat" button, at which point I have to point out the stupidity....Besides she's posted that particular fact often enough now that someone might see it and not know how to go looking for the factual information, so I might as well post the actual link.s

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Because people who post on here about their pets are so wanton and reckless w/ their pet's health.  I'm sure they just blindly follow package labels and vet instructions w/o exerting a jot of independent thought or research. But they MUST  be stupid b/c they aren't vets and/or don't have veternary training like some people.  Because, just like human doctors, veternarians are infallible.  We should believe everything that is in print merely b/c the author went to veternary school. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I honestly think she googles things I do and posts anything she can find that speaks against it no matter how many articles/doctors/etc. refute it.  Egocentric, I know, but it's happened enough that it seems like a reasonable conclusion to me, anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good grief, is this going to start happening on every thread? 

Can we all  please accept that we all take calculated risks - with our own lives/health and with our pets.  My dog has a docked tail, gets vaccinated, is crate trained, eats people food, and loves to chew on his antler. None of these things are absolutely right or wrong, and all are risky, but each decision was made after weighing both sides, considering our lifestyle, and making a determination of what we want for and from our dog.

dog-lady, its one thing to throw an idea, or an article, out there for consideration.  Its another to harp on it and harp on it and insist that your idea/article is the only possible right one.  Similarly, I think other posters should accept that your ideas/articles are not always absolutley wrong.  Every point has a counterpoint.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I wondered how long it would take for something to pop up about dogs breaking teeth on antlers.

It took longer than I had guessed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Every point has a counterpoint, but not every counterpoint is valid.  If an article is tossed out there just because it exists and refutes something one of us has posted about, it's not helpful information, it's inflammatory.

RFBF, it came up because I mentioned in CC that Gracie did break a front tooth.  Carpe diem, dog-lady, thanks for preemptive proving my point here.  Of course, it was her very front top tooth, and she chews the antlers with her molars, but whatever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

If an article is tossed out there just because it exists and refutes something one of us has posted about, it's not helpful information, it's inflammatory

I disagree (respectfully, of course).  Its not by its nature inflammatory simply becuase it refutes something that has been posted about.  It is just another, contradictory opinion, and could be helpful to someone looking to consider alternative views.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Generally, that's the case, absolutely.

Dog-lady, however, seems to google until she finds an article (however extremely WELL-REFUTED online and completely obscure it might be) that disagrees with something I've done.  Every single time.  Then, acts all innocent and "poor little ol' helpful me" every single time.

I'm sick and tired of it.  It's been going on for 3 different screen names of hers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting,  but the article I posted was about the dangers of dog chews,  what you're talking about is a very small part of it.   There are many other factors to consider, anyway , the more input the better.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the discussion was on antlers, so that was the specific point I responded too.  Frankly since the author already can't be bothered to fact check themself, facts that I found with all of 5 minutes of my time, I'm not inclined to take anything else they say as gospel without further research.