French Bulldog still has flemmy coughing and regurgitates after his palate surgery...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurenanabela. Show laurenanabela's posts

French Bulldog still has flemmy coughing and regurgitates after his palate surgery...

Hello,

I have a one year old French Bulldog who's had palate, nares and saccule removal surgery.  He had this surgery to help with him with breathing and regurgitation concerns.  He would always vomit at times of play, exercise and eating/drinking to quickly.  He even had a case of aspiration pneumonia and was treated prior to his surgery.

Its now close to a month since his surgery(s), will be on March 18th, and I feel like nothing has changed!  He's not lethargic, still has his appetite, his stools are normal but he seems like he has a flemmy wet sounding cough, he gags and at times vomits when he's playing with his toys.  The only time he's fine is when he's at rest but I have noticed at times his breathing seems to be louder then before he had his surgery. 

I know the vet said he probably wouldn't be fully "cured" but all I want and hope for him is to be a normal happy healthy dog.  Its hard for me to know if he's got allergies (he doesn't seem itchy but his nose runs), acid reflux or that I need to come to realization that he may be like this for the rest of his (hopefully long) life.  Though I am extremely paranoid about him getting aspiration pneumonia again.

Any incite would be greatly appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: French Bulldog still has flemmy coughing and regurgitates after his palate surgery...

I don't have a lot of insight to offer, but a follow-up visit to assess the cough and continued vomiting would be in order if it were my dog.  At the very least a call to the doctor to see if marked improvement isn't expected at this point and, if so, when to expect a change.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Re: French Bulldog still has flemmy coughing and regurgitates after his palate surgery...

Answer by Dr. Michael Pavletic of Angell Animal Medical Center's Surgery Service:
    Thank you for your question and for providing such detail. As you know, French Bulldogs can have multiple upper respiratory issues. The most
    common issues include an elongation of the soft palate, a small or hypoplastic trachea (windpipe), everted saccule membranes, and stenotic nares (small nostril openings).

The less common but potentially problematic conditions noted in some French Bulldogs include tracheal collapse and laryngeal collapse. From my experience, these are most common in the small (runt) French Bulldogs. In these two conditions, the cartilage framework of each structure is soft and overly flexible compared to normal dogs in which the cartilage is structurally more rigid. As a result, the trachea will partially collapse, impairing the ability of the dog to breath. Similarly, laryngeal collapse results in a narrowing of the laryngeal opening which also makes it problematic for a dog to breath. Both conditions can be progressive and diagnosis includes a close examination of the larynx under sedation. Tracheal collapse can be diagnosed with fluoroscopy or radiographs to assess the integrity of this structure. You should be aware of these two problems in the event your pet’s ability to breath continues to be an issue.  

After adequate resection of the palate tissue, most dogs improve within a few weeks after surgery. However, both snoring and variable amounts of noisy breathing often continue after a successful surgery. Saliva and mucous normally accumulate in the mouth of dogs, but Bulldogs may have more issues trying to clear this material from their mouth. Some dogs can have a nasal infection or inflammation that can result in additional accumulation of mucous. In Bulldogs, the internal portion of the nasal cavity is abnormal, often making breathing through the nose problematic to a variable degree despite surgical enlargement of the nostrils. 

Regurgitation is often the result of dogs having difficulty swallowing with an elongated soft palate. I would expect a decrease in regurgitation and vomiting after successful palate surgery. Also, keep in mind that some dogs do suffer from esophagitits (inflammation of the esophagus) secondary to the irritating effect of acidic gastric contents. There are medications available to help manage reflux esophagitis as well as dogs with gastric motility issues.

If breathing issues continue to persist, your veterinarian can reassess your French Bulldog’s condition and determine if further diagnostic tests are needed.

If you are in need of a veterinarian you may call Angell Animal Medical Center at (617) 524-5653 to schedule an appointment, or visit www.angell.org/generalmedicine for more information.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So, it sounds like you are saying you suspect the surgery was unsuccessful?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They said the regurgitation should have decreased markedly by now but it hasn't.  I'm distilling that to mean they believe it was unsuccessful and wish to have them clarify.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurenanabela. Show laurenanabela's posts

Thank you Dr. Michael Pavletic, Angell, for your prompt insightful response to my inquiry regarding our french bulldog, Nino. 

Nino's surgery was actually performed by Sue A. Casale at Angell.  Angell was highly recommended to us from friends with french bulldogs.  We were very pleased with her and Angell throughout the whole process.

To follow up we did end up taking Nino back to his primary vet hospital here in Western MA shortly after I posted this question but nothing was diagnosed except to "just monitor him" and try giving him some Pepcid AC/Zantac which might resolve the regurgitation.

Since he didn't have a positive reaction to Pepcid AC the first time we gave it to him, before he had his surgery, we wanted to try an alternative. After much research we started giving Nino raw manuka honey along with Nzymes (http://www.nzymes.com/pc/) to ease his reflux and I'm happy to report he's doing much better.  He rarely regurgitates, unless there is nothing in his belly and his flemmy cough comes and goes but that has improved too.

Overall we had expectations of Nino recovering from the surgery within a month, based on what we heard and read but in reality it took him around 2 months to see his improvements.  Glad to see him acting like his spunky self again!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news, lauren!  Hoping the supplements continue to help and his issues stay behind him. :)