heart worm testing and medication

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

heart worm testing and medication

I found this online company that sells heart worm pills without a prescription or vet exam (prices are comparable).

Now, I know it is best to have your dog examined at least once a year by a vet and ideally have the blood test to rule out heartworm at that time.

But if your dog is healthy and on the same heartworm meds year round, what would be the cons of going this route?

BTW:  I've heard ticks, mosquitoes and bugs are going to be bad this year due to the warm Winter!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVet. Show AngellVet's posts

Re: heart worm testing and medication

Hi Dog Lady,

Unfortunately we've seen reports of counterfeit product from online purveyors; there currently are no regulations and some of these medications may have been acquired through means that are difficult to track; sometimes they are past their expiration date as well.  I would be very wary of the company that you cite.

Pets should be tested yearly because there have been recent studies that indicate heart worm can be resistant to some preventatives, and so a full exam by a veterinarian is the best chance to accurately diagnose heart worm, and begin the most effective treatment program.  I hope that's helpful.

PS - yes, the warmer weather this winter means that many pests (mostly ticks) are still a concern for pet owners.  Check your dog regularly for ticks and please use a tick preventative throughout the winter months, just to be safe.

Dr. Joel Kale, Angell Animal Medical Center

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: heart worm testing and medication

Thanks, one of the few things I like about Winter is that the ticks die off, but not this year!