Litter Box Problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrcat. Show rrcat's posts

Litter Box Problem

One of my cats has stopped using the litter box to urinate.  I have two cats and three boxes; two are in one room and one is in another room.  She uses one of the boxes in the first room to defecate, but she won't pee IN the box; instead, she pees right beside the box.  I know she doesn't like sharing a box and my male cat uses both boxes, but he doesn't use the third box in the other room and, while she has used it once, she mostly ignores it.  I scoop 3-4 times a day, I change the litter regularly, but it's getting frustrating and very expensive to have to line four litter mats with puppy training pads and change them all the time.

Her last set of labs showed that her hyperthyroidism is under good control, and her creatinine is normal, but her bun was slightly elevated at 51 (CK was 3400).  Could the beginnings of kidney disease be causing this and, if so, is there anything I can do about it?  Or could it be something else?

Ruth

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Litter Box Problem

Have you tried a covered box, a bigger box, or preferably a bigger covered box.

She may prefer to urinate in places other than her litter box because there's something about the litter box she dislikes. Some cats don't like their litter, or dislike a covered box that retains odors, or dislike the least bit of soiling in the litter, which requires that you keep the litter box immaculately clean.  Including washing the top and bottom (covered box) frequently so she isn't deterred from using it due to odor.

Do the pee pads bother her? I thought you should keep plastic away from cats...

info obtained from: http://community.petco.com/t5/the-purr/ct-p/CatCommunity

I hope Angell vet answers the medical aspects of your question, soon :)

Avatar from "The Artwork of Catherine Darling Hostetter" 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrcat. Show rrcat's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have you tried a covered box, a bigger box, or preferably a bigger covered box.

She may prefer to urinate in places other than her litter box because there's something about the litter box she dislikes. Some cats don't like their litter, or dislike a covered box that retains odors, or dislike the least bit of soiling in the litter, which requires that you keep the litter box immaculately clean.  Including washing the top and bottom (covered box) frequently so she isn't deterred from using it due to odor.

Do the pee pads bother her? I thought you should keep plastic away from cats...

info obtained from: http://community.petco.com/t5/the-purr/ct-p/CatCommunity

I hope Angell vet answers the medical aspects of your question, soon :)

Avatar from "The Artwork of Catherine Darling Hostetter" 

[/QUOTE]

Yep, I've tried a covered box, and she won't go near it.  I also have two really large boxes, and the one in the bathroom is a bit smaller, but she will occasionally pee in that one.

My previous male cat only used the left-hand box, and she used the right-hand one.  She didn't always cover up, but she did use the box.  After Benji died, I brought in another male, who is actually her brother or cousin.  She seems to like him...is always rubbing up against him...but I think the problem started when the he started using both boxes in the bedroom.

I tried changing the litter...that didn't work.  I added the extra box in the bathroom...that didn't work.  The puppy pads are working, but since she does try to cover up with the puppy pads and scratches them up and over each other, if I don't see it in time, she ends up peeing directly on the litter mat, or the back of the puppy pads, or, sometimes, partly on the carpet.

Not fun!

Ruth

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrcat. Show rrcat's posts

An update:  Sadly, I had to put Taffy (my male cat) to sleep last week.  He had developed constant diarrhea, and after two months of tests and treatment, it became obvious that it was time to end his misery.  Very sad, but I'm so glad I was able to provide him with a home for the past three years after he had spent 13 years outside (the last of a large feral colony.)

Meanwhile, my house is being reconstructed after a flood, and Shana (the cat that wasn't using the box to pee) has been confined to the spare room during the day.  She is now using the litterbox!  In fact, the only time she doesn't use it is occasionally at night when she can get into the bedroom.  But even then, she frequently uses the box instead of the puppy pads.

I had supsected this was a behavioral problem that started when Taffy started using both litter boxes, and apparently that was correct.  I think that once the house is completed (with new carpet, too), she will only be using the litter boxes. 

So, sadness at losing Taffy, but glad that the litter problem is apparently solved.

Ruth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I am sorry for your loss. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrcat. Show rrcat's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am sorry for your loss. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Robin...he's left a big hole in my life.  Despite being feral, having been born outdoors and having lived outdoors for 13 years, he was so sweet.  Slept glued to my side every night, and woke me every morning by licking my face.  A very special kitty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I'm so glad he found you and knew what it was like to have a good home and be cared for.

I hope we get to see them again... someday, somehow.