Parakeet bald patch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Parakeet bald patch

Our 4 year old parakeet has a bald spot under her neck that looks very uncomfortable.  Is there something we should do that any vet would recommend without our having the bird seen?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Parakeet bald patch

I had cockatails many years ago.  I know they can lose hair due to stress or vitamin deficiency.  I would take it to the vet to be checked.  I hope he/she will be ok.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - it's probably stress.  Since we got Gracie, our bird dog, she's been in her cage a lot more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just to be on the safe side Kar, you might want to give it vitamins. I use to put vitamin drops in my birds water.  You can get them at any pet store.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will do, thanks, ambergirl.  I'm heading East today to do errands, and the petstore is one of my destinations.  (Gracie eats us out of house and home!)  Vitamins will help with stress even if there's no deficiency, per se.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Figured it wouldn't hurt.  I have 3 animals and trust me they eat better than me!  Have a wonderful day :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - you, too!  You'll need these - yay for Spring! Cool

(Gracie eats better than we do, too!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It is likely due to stress..but I would also rule out mites as well. The way to do this is to cover the bird cage with a white sheet overnight and check it in the morning. You will see the little black dots if it is indeed mites and they are easy to get rid of. Several years ago, when I was volunteering in a local animal shelter, a guy brought in a cockatiel that he claimed was in the wild and flew on his shoulder at a gas station. The bird had no feathers on his entire chest, neck and back and top of his head..and was missing a lot of his wing feathers..so we were pretty skeptical about the story..but nevertheless accepted the bird without question. The bird spent a couple of weeks at the shelter and when it became clear that no one was going to adopt him..( he had a great personality but was disturbing to look at)...I took him home. He was for sure a feather picker..and it took two years for him to grow back most of his feathers although he never stopped picking the feathers on his chest so always had a couple of bare spots.  It was such a shame really..because he turned out to be one of those beautiful white lupinos that people pay lots of money for.
    Hopefully your little parakeet will eventually adjust to the changes and all will be well. Good luck :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I'll try the sheet tonight and report back.  

We put vitamins in her water, got new toys, and have been paying more attention to the little screecher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, you probably already buy this, but just in case, I use to buy my birds what I called a "honey stick"  It was a stick that you tie in the cage.  It has seeds on it and is honey covered.  My birds would go crazy and it would entertain them for hours eating the seeds of it.  I think any pet store would know what I was talking about. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have a treat thingy with seeds stuck on it, but she doesn't seem interested in it even though it's been in there long enough for her to get used to it.  Must not be the kind with honey on it.  Thanks - I'll look for those.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

the honey stick were always a favorite among the birds I have owned throughout my life..but the absolute favorite were those millet sprays...all of my birds went crazy for them...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

miscricket, I forgot about the millet sprays!  Yes, my birds went crazy on those too! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I forgot all about the sheet, darn it.  But, she's finally showing interest in her seed treat after 3 weeks of having it in her cage.  Maybe that means she's feeling better?  Or, maybe it just took that long for it to not be foreign to her, anymore.  If she could say more than "pretty bird" it would be helpful!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is good news Kar!  I am sure the vitamins are helping.  The next time you are shopping for her/him, I would pick up a millet spray.  They love them!  You are lucky your bird (parakeet right?) talks.  I had 3 cockatiels and only one would wolf whistle, but they never talked : (

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She doesn't talk very often. I think the males are the talkers (in the bird realm, anyway!).  Once in awhile she'll say, "Pretty, pretty pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty...bird."  She's very full of herself, apparently.  Wink  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

LOL!  that was funny Kar!  I had 2 males and 1 female.  It was the youngest male that wolf whistled and I don't even know where he got it from!  The male birds are also the prettiest.  Their colors are deep and vibrant. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Jennifer Graham of Angell Animal Medical Center's Avian and Exotic Medicine Service:
    Thank you for your question. There may be several causes to your bird’s issue.

Birds normally have a crop present in this region that is a dilation of the esophagus used for food storage. It is possible that this region can become dilated and appear as a 'bald spot' since there is a featherless tract of skin that overlies the crop. However, crop dilation can be a sign of an underlying disease process.

Has your bird been feather picking? If your bird has picked out feathers in the neck region, this could also create the appearance you are describing. Budgerigars (also sometimes referred to as 'parakeets') are not typically species that will pick for behavioral reasons so we try to rule out underlying medical reasons for picking (some diseases we see in this species are giardiasis, trichomoniasis, yeast infections, macrorhabdus, and a variety of bacterial infections - just to name a few). We have also seen feather-picking behavior related to hormonal issues/egg laying.

Is your bird molting? If your bird is going through a molt, this may be a normal appearance until the feathers grow in. It would be ideal to have your bird examined by a veterinarian to help determine if there is a medical problem with your bird.

Please contact Angell Animal Medical Center’s Avian and Exotic Medicine service at (617) 522-7282 if you would like to schedule an appointment to have your bird evaluated or visit www.angell.org/avianandexotic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Very informative Angelvets.  I didn't know different species of birds have different issues.  I was giving advice off having Cockatiels and didn't know Parakeets don't normally have behavioral issues. 

Kar, let us know how you make out with the vet visit.  I am curious as to what it is.  I'm sure everything will be fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, AV, for your very informative, helpful answer.  (I've been out of town and just saw it today.)

She hasn't been picking the feathers out.  And, we've never seen this spot look like this before, and she's molted before.  No changes have been made to her environment.  She sheds some feathers all the time so I'm not sure if she's molting...probably, though, since it's Spring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Apparently, birds lose feathers before they die of cancer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar,

Are you saying your bird has cancer?? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She passed away on Sunday.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I know you weren't overly fond of the bird, but I am sorry....  please tell DH,  as I know that was originally his bird.  So sad..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ag.  Very thoughtful - yes, I'll tell him.  I am sad to see him sad.