Question regarding heartworm meds

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Question regarding heartworm meds

Heartworm Test $33.00

www.luvmypet.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Question regarding heartworm meds

Now that Interceptor/Sentinel is unavailable.

Is it safe to give a Corgi (herding breed) Heartgard? I assume it is, just looking for reassurance.

ETA: I was giving my dogs Interceptor Spectrum from Australia but now realize that may not be a good idea :(

I've not had any problems with it,  but I am concerned due to the increase in counterfeit meds being manufactured.

Thanks 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Re: Question regarding heartworm meds

Hi Robin,

Although it is true that some dogs may have a higher sensitivity to products containing the ingredient ivermectin, the amount found in a single, appropriately dosed tablet of Heartgard should not be toxic to them. I assume you are referring to dogs that may be carrying a genetic MDR-1 mutation. This mutation affects how their body metabolizes certain drugs and therefore may place them at increased risk of various toxic side effects. If you own a breed of dog known to be at risk for this mutation, it may be worthwhile to have your veterinarian test your dog for the actual mutation, as the list of potentially harmful drugs includes many other commonly prescribed drugs, not just Heartgard.  Breeds reported in the literature that are more likely to have this mutation include, but are not limited to: Australian shepherds, Collies, old English Sheepdogs, Shetland sheepdogs and some German Shepherds to name a few. Lastly, I would encourage you to acquire your prescription medications through your veterinarian. I suspect his or her practice has a long-standing relationship with a number of representatives from pharmaceutical companies who can vouch for the safety and origin of the medications they stock, and can notify your veterinarian in the case of any safety issues.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Susan O'Bell, Angell Animal Medical Center