Recurrence of bladder stones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Recurrence of bladder stones

The concern: The x-rays showed two very small calcium oxalate stones have developed (reread by radiologist).   

My question is what are the chances he'll pass these two small stones on his own ?      I'd like to avoid putting him under general anesthesia again if I can, but if I'm only putting it off a month what's the point?     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Recurrence of bladder stones

He had his re-check and of course the two stones are still there.

The good news is that they are still very small and if they stay that way will not cause any problems.

I am increasing his potassium citrate (with vet approval) to more than double the dose recommended for a dog of his weight.
    This is to keep the urine ph at a level  non-conducive to stone formation. 

I could opt for urohydropulsion which would require general anesthesia and may not be successful at removing the stones.  

I'm going to go watch him closely for any signs and symptoms of urethra blockage (medical emergency), continue prescription diet and encourage fluids (chicken broth/water) as much as tolerated.    

Just putting this out here in case anyone else is going through this challenging condition with their dog.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

PS:   Found an excellent deal on the Potassium Citrate, if anyone else is using it.

My dog (15 pds) is up to 4 tabs (approved by his vet) per day.

http://www.entirelypets.com/k-plus-potassium-citrate-plus-cranberry-300-tabs.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Add fluids/H20 to their meals and offer frequent bathroom breaks, that's the key.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Adequate fluids and frequent urination prevents the stagnant conditions conducive to bladder stone formation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Calcium Oxalate Kidney and Bladder Stones

I am impressed with Wellness dog foods,  my dogs like the Wellness canned salmon 95% no grains,  and Wellness Simple dry,  works well for dog with allergies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Excellent information at this site:  http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjcalciumoxalates.html

Just my opinion, of course :)

Avatar from "The Artwork of Catherine Darling Hostetter"