Tortie cat won't put on weight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nocare12. Show nocare12's posts

Tortie cat won't put on weight

Hi, 

I adopted a kitty from MSPCA a couple of years ago, she's a tortie and s a bit nervous and fidgety all the time, it's who she is and we love it. 

She is not the most social cat and doesn't like to be held or sit in laps, she seems scared when people are around. Despite feeding her and leaving her food available al the time, she doesn't seems to not put on weight, she's stuck at around 9 pounds and is healthy and playful with me. 

Is ths common? Her mom was also not a big cat when we saw her in the shelter, some say the cat is in "good shape" and I'm used to seeing ferral cats and most of them are not big. 

Thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Tortie cat won't put on weight

In response to nocare12's comment:

Hi, 

I adopted a kitty from MSPCA a couple of years ago, she's a tortie and s a bit nervous and fidgety all the time, it's who she is and we love it. 

She is not the most social cat and doesn't like to be held or sit in laps, she seems scared when people are around. Despite feeding her and leaving her food available al the time, she doesn't seems to not put on weight, she's stuck at around 9 pounds and is healthy and playful with me. 

Is ths common? Her mom was also not a big cat when we saw her in the shelter, some say the cat is in "good shape" and I'm used to seeing ferral cats and most of them are not big. 

Thanks

Nine pounds is a healthy weight for most cats. I have a cat who doesn't eat all that much. She is a small cat anyhow and at her last visit weighed slightly over 7 pounds..her highest weight ever. She was under 6 until she hit 3 years old..but she is healthy. If you are offering her fresh food and most importantly fresh water every day and she is acting otherwise healthy then I wouldn't worry about it too much. By they way..all of this is assuming that you take her for regular vet checkups and she's up to date on all her vaccinations..etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nocare12. Show nocare12's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Hi, 

Thanks

Nine pounds is a healthy weight for most cats. I have a cat who doesn't eat all that much. She is a small cat anyhow and at her last visit weighed slightly over 7 pounds..her highest weight ever. She was under 6 until she hit 3 years old..but she is healthy. If you are offering her fresh food and most importantly fresh water every day and she is acting otherwise healthy then I wouldn't worry about it too much. By they way..all of this is assuming that you take her for regular vet checkups and she's up to date on all her vaccinations..etc.

Thanks!! Yes she gets fresh water every day and fresh wet and solid food, along with chicken treats and plenty of play time.  She goes to the vet every year and is happy when we play together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Hi, 

Thanks

Thanks!! Yes she gets fresh water every day and fresh wet and solid food, along with chicken treats and plenty of play time.  She goes to the vet every year and is happy when we play together.

lol..Then I think she's probably fine so don't worry. It sounds like she's happy and healthy..and very, very lucky to have an owner who loves her :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not a cat expert, but if she's eating, drinking, using the litter box as expected, and full of energy, I think it is a very safe assumption she's doing great.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Dear rescued-Tortie owner,

We can’t tell by numbers alone if a pet is at his or her ideal weight. I am a firm believer in at least annual exams for cats (twice a year if they are older) so that as part of that visit they can be weighed and have a body and muscle condition assessment performed. 9 pounds may be too thin for some cats or too heavy for others depending on their frame. The other important reason to have regular weighs recorded is so we can look at the trend; in other words, has she been losing, gaining, or maintaining her weight? Sounds like you are in love with her and have a general “good feeling” based on how she is acting at home. I would just complement this knowledge with the wisdom and experience of her primary care doctor so action can be taken if she is under or overweight. At your appointments you can also have a discussion about her diet and any plans that would be recommended if there is indeed concern over her condition. Take care, and enjoy the company of your Tortie!

Dr. Susan O'Bell, Angell Animal Medical Center