Treatments for GME

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DMG67. Show DMG67's posts

Treatments for GME

I was told by my vet not read the info on the Internet regarding GME, because it's dated and mostly indicates a death sentence.  However, he says treatments now can lead to a good quality of life.  Right now, my dog is on prednisone and two antibiotics.  The vet also mentioned a benign chemotherapy drug.  Are there special combinations of treatments that work better than others?  Some happy stories would be nice to read.  Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Treatments for GME

Sorry you are dealing with this.  I don't have any knowledge of this disease, but for anyone else wondering what it is here's a link to an about.com article that gives the basics: GME in dogs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, wow.  I wish I knew of anyone who has dealt with this.  Best of luck to you and your pup!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hopefully, Angell Vets will get to this soon.  I know how hard it is to be left hanging wondering about the prognosis and what can be done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I so sorry to hear you are going through this with your dog.  I hope that you have success with the treatments.  I had a pug in a similar disease seven years ago and then there wasn't any treatment options.  My advise would to try the treatment(s) and spoil him with love.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Treatments for GME:
    [QUOTE]I was told by my vet not read the info on the Internet regarding GME, because it's dated and mostly indicates a death sentence.  However, he says treatments now can lead to a good quality of life.  Right now, my dog is on prednisone and two antibiotics.  The vet also mentioned a benign chemotherapy drug.  Are there special combinations of treatments that work better than others?  Some happy stories would be nice to read.  Thanks.
    Posted by DMG67[/QUOTE]
    http://www.angell.org/vet-services/angell-boston/neurology/     Angell vets?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhalpin32. Show rhalpin32's posts

DMG - Just wanted to offer some perspective that may help you:

Granulomatous meningoencephalitis (GME) is an inflammatory disease of the canine and feline central nervous system. Although infection, autoimmune reaction, and neoplasia have been assumed as the cause of GME, the exact cause is still unknown.

A definitive diagnosis of GME can only by biopsy or at postmortem evaluation. However, a presumptive diagnosis can be made based on characteristic signs and suggestive clinical findings as with cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis.
    GME typically requires lifelong treatment with immunosuppressive medicines.  Some pets can come off medication but recurrence is very common.  The prognosis is variable , some pets do not respond to treatment while others can do well from months to years.

Joel Kaye, DVM, Angell Animal Medical Center