Urinary Tract Infection symptoms in cats and dogs Question for Angellvets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Urinary Tract Infection symptoms in cats and dogs Question for Angellvets

Had to take my recently neutered dog to the emergency place yesterday due to UTI symptoms and I'm glad I did because after 3 doses of the prescribed antibiotic he is much more comfortable!

I was hoping the Angellvets could go over symptoms and the importance of early intervention for this condition. It is so painful for them if you wait and it's usually obvious in the early stages.

PS: I did decline the suggested U/A, C&S, lab work but of course if the antibiotics don't do the trick I'll reconsider, but so far so good!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVet. Show AngellVet's posts

Re: Urinary Tract Infection symptoms in cats and dogs Question for Angellvets

Hello Dog Lady,

Symptoms of urinary tract infection can include straining to urinate, increased frequency of urination, blood in urine and even sometimes lethargy and lack of appetite.

It is also important to have your pets urine checked as there are other causes of these signs including crystals or stones in the bladder, bladder wall malformations as well as tumors. It is always a good idea to get a urine culture to know exactly what bacteria we are dealing with as well as which antibiotic is the best choice.  It appears as though the antibiotics are working in your case, which is great news, but I wanted to lay out for you and others a more complete set of diagnostic tests that should be done if your dog's condition recurs. 

Best to you,

Joel Kaye, DVM, Angell Animal Medical Center

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Any specific advice on urine collection and storage methods?  I had a VERY hard time getting one when Gracie had a UTI. 

(By the way, it had been caused by the change in pH from the Lawn Protect product we'd wrongly assumed was safe.  Our vet explained that the increase in pH (making it less acidic so it won't burn the lawn) causes crystals to form in the urine which scratch the urethra and allow bacteria to gather and cause infection.  I complained to PetSmart about how it causes UTIs, but they still sell it so beware!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, that's what I did, but you should have seen her face when she stopped peeing and whipped around as if to say, "WHAT are you DOING?"  Eventually I tried a rather shallow container, took her out on a leash, and sneaked it under.  But, she squats very low to the ground so it was some kind of challenge.  I only bothered because our vet asked me to get a sample, but she wasn't too helpful regarding how to gather it.  Hoping AVs has a surefire trick I didn't think of and hoping we never need to use it!