CGC certification... go for it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

CGC certification... go for it?

Good little puppy has completed intermediate obedience and the trainer suggested we continue on to advanced/CGC prep, which ends with the Canine Good Citizen evaluation.  Have any of you gone for CGC with your dogs?  Is it worth it?  I figure additional training can't be a bad thing, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: CGC certification... go for it?

We haven't - we don't want to spend any more money on training.  She's a great dog, and we're happy with her behavior even if it could always be better.  But, if you want to, why not?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

One of my dogs got his CGC a couple of months ago.  I set it as a goal for him and that helped focus the training.  You don't need it unless you plan to compete your dog in obedience trials or rallies.  My dog is a high energy dog and naturally dominant so obedience training was a necessity.

You can treat the CGC sort of like runners treat road races.  It helps to motivate them to train for the upcoming event.

The elements of the test are straight forward and fairly easy.  The hard part of the exam is just the newness of the surroundings, assuming you test some place other than where you took the training. 

I think it's a great objective to train for. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks DWL.  After the holidays I am starting him in agility and I'm not sure if I'll try competition or just do it for fun, but if we go the competition route I think you're right that he needs it. 

He's a terrier mix and is also high energy.  I think the agility work will help with his focus and I'm sure he'll have a blast doing it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, if you are even considering competition, I'd say go for this training as early as possible.  While he's a puppy lessons will be learned more easily and will stick better.  And, then he'll be ready for more advanced classes when he's older.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Update: we did it!!  Jax passed his CGC evaluation last night!  We're also two weeks into agility and it has been love at first sight for both of us!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Congratulations.  It's a nice accomplishment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks DWL.  I agree.  Like you said, it was a good goal to focus the training.  Although, I have to admit, the agility training is helping his focus FAR more than the obedience work.  He knows his commands, but it seems like he resisted more at obedience.  Maybe the pace was too slow for him?  I joke that he has doggie ADD and needs to be on the move all the time.  Either way, we worked at it, and did what we were aiming to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

congrats, Nov! That is so awesome!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay!  That's so cool, Nov!  You must be so proud of him. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: CGC certification... go for it?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks DWL.  I agree.  Like you said, it was a good goal to focus the training.  Although, I have to admit, the agility training is helping his focus FAR more than the obedience work.  He knows his commands, but it seems like he resisted more at obedience.  Maybe the pace was too slow for him?  I joke that he has doggie ADD and needs to be on the move all the time.  Either way, we worked at it, and did what we were aiming to do.
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

I think it's good to mix it up.  One of my dogs is involved in obedience training and training for aggressive dogs.  He likes the aggressive dog training more than he likes the obedience.  I think part of it is my level of enthusiasm.  The aggression class naturally has a higher level of energy and it's easier for me to be more positive and have more energy in my praise.  With obedience, it's easy to get frustrated and the higher level of energy doesn't come as naturally.

I find it helpful to include a period of play into the obedience training.  Do a bunch of obedience stuff, and then a lot of positive play.  Or when he's done something he's never done or nailed something, act like he just hit a home run.  You can't be too positive with praise.  You can't over praise.

By the way, my other dog just isn't interested in training.  His energy level is lower and because he doesn't try to be as overtly dominant as the other, so obedience isn't quite as important.  I have to use a completely different approach with the second dog.  Much, much, much more praise and harder corrections.  I have to be much more consistent with him.

The 2 dogs are the same breed.

Just goes to show, dogs can be very different.