Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?

Do you restrain your dog while driving?
    Have you ever gotten into a car accident with your dog?

This article talks about why your animal should "buckle up" too.

http://www.boston.com/community/pets/articles/2012/04/18/restraining_your_dog_while_driving/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Do you restrain your dog while driving?

Yes, I restrain her.  She wears a harness so any accident forces will be distributed around her body.  Her leash is connected at the chest, and she rides in the back of the station wagon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?

NO!   They stay calm and ride in the back seat, they like to stick their heads out the window and catch the breeze! 
    The littlest one sits in the passenger seat and enjoys the view, no restraints needed! 
    I can't stand seat belts either,  but I abide by the law. No accidents! 
    Why are people so neurotic nowadays?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I confess that I don't, but I really think that I should.  DH disagree on this and so far he has "won," lol.  I have (knock on wood) never had an accident either, but I would so much rather be safe than sorry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't restrain mine either. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Mine are in crates that are secured.

I see people driving with their dogs in their laps (a fender bender and the air bag would kill the driver and the dog) , in the front seat (a fender bender and the air bag would kill the dog), standing in the back seat  (a fender bender would turn the dog into a projectile hurling towards the windshield).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

When I was a kid, my beautiful, lovable sheltie Cocoa (RIP) liked to stick his head out the window. One time, we stopped and he went flying out the window! I was so scared. Luckily we were on a back road, no traffic. And he turned out to be fine. No injuries. After that, my parents made sure the window wasn't all the way down when we drove with the dog in the car.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a real risk along with eye problems from the high speed wind especially in Spring with all the road salt and sand still on the roads.  It scratches corneas.  And, when Gracie injured her eye (not like this) the vet said a scratched cornea can lead quickly and easily to a lost eye.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

sobaki001 THEY LOVE IT!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

LOL!!  Awesome picture!  I am sure these things can happen but I personally in all my years have never seen or heard of them. Helicopter pet parents? Joke from previous thread folks.  : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not everyone is responsible for their dog's eye health like the dog in the photo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

You can't protect them from everything! 
    I avoid all woods and tall grass, won't let the dogs near them because of ticks,  don't want to go through the Lyme disease experience again! 
    But I do let them enjoy some things!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

If you want to use precaution that is great, but if someone else doesn't, it doesn't make them irresponsible.  I have never in my life heard of a dog's eye getting damaged from sticking their head out the window to be honest.  Nor have I heard of projectile dogs in accidents.  But if you want to be cautious, that is great and if I don't, that is fine too. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I were the one letting Gracie do it, rest assured doglady would be ALL OVER IT posting a plethora of articles like this one (one of MANY that all say the same thing) and saying how irresponsible I am.  And, I didn't say anyone was irresponsible, I said not everyone is AS responsible (it's not an all or nothing statement) as someone who chooses to protect their dog's eyes if they're going to let him hang his head out the window at 70 mph.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I think you left out the AS : )  so I took it as people that don't are irresponsible.  No biggie. We can agree to disagree Sealed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

But I wouldn't let Amber stick her head out the window on the highway going 70. I don't think she would enjoy that much.  But riding around town is fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I thought the picture was a joke, no one I know would put those silly goggles on a dog!  
    I don't think!  
    And of course people should use some caution, only open the window enough for their head to fit out, not the whole body!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?:
    [QUOTE]I think you left out the AS : )  so I took it as people that don't are irresponsible.  No biggie. We can agree to disagree
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

As always different opinions are what we're all here for.

We've spent thousands on Gracie's accidents in 3 years.  I'd rather not let her hang her head hang out the window and hope she doesn't get anything flung into an eye at high speed.  If that makes me neurotic, I think my $5000 I've spent on her thus far with her accident prone self earns me the right to not be made fun of.

We let her do plenty of fun, potentially dangerous, things.  She's an exuberant Lab, and we don't crate her 24/7 which, apparently for her, is the only safe thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

If I spent all that money on Amber, I would feel the same way.  And labs are high energy dogs, so totally understandable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Add me to the list of neurotic people b/c I secure my dogs in the car. I was in a car accident once and everything I had in the back seat ended up in the front.  If I had my dog unsecured in the back seat, there is a very good chance he would have been gravely injured. I don't take chances with my or any of my loved ones safety. So if that makes me neurotic, I am very happy to have that title.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kat yubs. Show kat yubs's posts

Absolutely!  My Shih Tzu has a doggie car seat.  He loves it.  He is high enough to look out the window. And he is safe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anything in the car when it goes from 30 mph to 0 in a crash is going to keep going at 30 mph until it's stopped by something.  It's either going to be a restraint or the windshield or dashboard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

The little guy gets restrained, if for no other reason than he'd try to climb out the window....Apollo's to big to restrain in our current vehicles. Any crate that'd fit him won't fit in my Caliber, he's to big to fit comfortably on the bench seat, so we fold down the seats and let him jave the whole back. We looked at thee zipline restraints but the attachment points in my car aren't rated for the force that his weight would put on them in an accident. So I drive ALOT more carefully with him in the car.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Ruth, good to see you.  Maybe you can use our system if you think it might work for Apollo.  We use a harness on Gracie and attach her leash to the chest ring and the end to the car so at least she'll be stopped by the leash, not something in front of her.  I think they make harnesses big enough for Apollo, don't they?  Gracie got up to 85 lbs, and her harness fit then with lots of room to spare (but tightened to fit, of course).  These aren't the best photos, but I think you can get a good idea from parts of all of them. :)  The first one you can see her pink harness over her shoulders, and the second one shows how she can roam the back with it (although, I hadn't put it on her yet in that one, unfortunately).  The last one is her right after her knee surgery, the best photo I have of the harness itself - I had it on her so I could assist her up and down the back steps.  Right in the center of her chest is a ring so in an accident the force would be distributed around her body.  Not a perfect solution, but she wouldn't be flying into whatever is in front of her, either.  And, she can rest her head on the upright seat backs and have her nose a couple of inches away from the open middle windows.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skipgirl. Show Skipgirl's posts

I don't buckle him up so to speak, but he does go in secured crate in the back of my SUV.  We do this for several reasons, he's very distracting if he's not in the crate because he's either sniffing my ear, licking my ear, standing up, sitting down, etc...but also because it's the safest place for him god forbid we get in an accident.  I just like to make sure we're all safe!  He actuallly prefers to be in the crate...if he's not in it for some odd reason when we're in the car, he seems very uneasy and cannot sit still.  I guess it's just what he's used to.