Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Re: Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?

Kar, where does it attach in the car?

They DO make harnesses big enough for him, though most are more the "weight pull" or "walking harness" rather than a safety harness style.  And of course no-one close to me carries them....I have a ton of 2" webbing from another project and I could make him one if it came to it, I just don't have a good place to attach it to in the car.  We did get a barrier though so he couldn't climb into the front, cause he kept trying to do that....why I don't know, he sure doesn't fit there!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Ruthcatrin, I just have to say he has the cutest face ever.  Looks so innocent.  I want to give him a hug : )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?:
    [QUOTE]Kar, where does it attach in the car? They DO make harnesses big enough for him, though most are more the "weight pull" or "walking harness" rather than a safety harness style.  And of course no-one close to me carries them....I have a ton of 2" webbing from another project and I could make him one if it came to it, I just don't have a good place to attach it to in the car.  We did get a barrier though so he couldn't climb into the front, cause he kept trying to do that....why I don't know, he sure doesn't fit there!
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

We have a metal ring attached to the very back of the car on her level that I connect her leash to.  I don't know what I'd do if we didn't have that, sorry. :(

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I restrain my dog most of the time. I was in an accident with him in the car when he was a puppy and he slammed right into the dashboard. Luckily, I wasn't going very fast, so he just a bright red ear for a day or two, but it literally scared the sh!t out of him and I was completely horrified. I felt so guilty for not protecting him when it's so easy to just buckle him in the back seat. The harness was less than $30. It's no more neurotic than giving him heartworm chews or vaccinations. You might be confident that you're not going to cause an accident, but you never know what other people on the road are doing.

(PS hi everybody! glad to see your pups are doing well!)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Pink!  Always so happy to see you when you drop in.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Pink!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

In Response to Re: Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you "buckle up" your dog when you drive? : We have a metal ring attached to the very back of the car on her level that I connect her leash to.  I don't know what I'd do if we didn't have that, sorry. :(
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Yah, see thats my problem, there ARE two small D rings in the way back, but they appear to be just attached to the plastic inner shell and not the frame, and I can't find a weight rating for them, so I'm reluctant to trust them to hold up to the impact of 100lbs + of dog hitting them if I were to slam on the brakes at any speed.

Ambergirl, he's a fuffy cuddly teddy bear who'd be thrilled to have you give him a hug and would try to kiss you back.  Infact we just got him a tag that has his name & my phone number on the one side, and on the other it says "If you can read this I WILL lick you".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's too bad - our D rings are attached to the frame.  I don't know what to suggest.  He's a big boy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

That he is and he's not done growing! Our next car will be bigger, so hopefully there'll be an attachment point then!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pmac666. Show pmac666's posts

No way, it's fun watching him try to stay on his feet when I take sharp corners.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Yup, Seamus was nice and safe up there, secure in his roomy air vented carrier with a nice windshield on the front that Mr Romney made himself, after all this was 1983

I don't think they had doggy seat belts yet! In fact back then many a dog got to ride in the back of a pickup truck.  

Seamus was a lucky dog to be included in family vacations instead of being shoved in a kennel for two weeks where dogs often feel abandoned, stop eating and get sick or worse. 

I haven't seen Bo in a long time, is he included in the Obama family vacations?  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I'm not going to argue with you, the story I read from many reputable news venues presented the facts much differently from what you're implying.
    I guess we are all free to interpret things however we choose.
    The reality is that only the people that were present and involved know what went on, and seeing it was almost thirty years ago...who knows if their memories are correct.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rugosa. Show rugosa's posts

My dog used to stand in the front seat with his forepaws on the dashboard.  It just took a few short, hard stops to see the danger in that.  He is now restrained in the back seat in a harness that lets him sit, stand and lie down.  He doesn't mind -- hops up onto the back seat and sits until I clip the restraint.  And I can pay attention to my driving in a dangerous situation instead of throwing my right arm out to keep him on the seat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kat yubs. Show kat yubs's posts

Absolutely!!! My Shih Tzu has a doggie car seat and he loves it!   He can look out the window to see what's going on.  Safest place for him.