Keeping floors clean (with a dog)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Keeping floors clean (with a dog)

Does anyone have any tips for how to live with a dog (or two in my case) and keep your floors clean?  I've given up.  On nice days when I'm at home I tend to leave the kitchen door open and let the pups come in and out on their own (we have invisible fence).  They love it and otherwise they cry at the door to be let out or come in a zillion times throughout the day.  By the end of the day though there is more dirt inside my house than out.  Wet days are even worse even though they spend less time outdoors.

Anyone have any tips or tricks?  Anyone successfully train their dog to wipe their paws on the way in?  I'm so tired of mopping my floors daily.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Keeping floors clean (with a dog)

Uh, this kind of reminds me of the ad for Drew Carey's Improv Show where one actor says, "I miss fat Drew," and Drew says, "I do, too."

I wish I knew the answer because I miss having clean floors, too.

I keep a towel near the door and forcibly wipe her feet if they're wet (which has been constantly for the last week), but it doesn't really do a good job of keeping the floor clean.  I've learned to live with a less than perfect floor, but I'm not happy about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't know if this will help, but I have a steam vac that I love. I find it easy to pull out and use instead of mop and bucket and the pads go in the wash. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What kind do you have, ag?  I have a steamer with a floor attachment, but it's a big pain to drag out, let heat up, and it leaves streaks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

I'd be interested to know what type of steam vac too.  I hate mopping so anything that makes it easier would be worth it.  I've tried the towel method too but find its almost as much work to do that 10x a day than to just mop afterward, especially when it involves chasing the dogs around the house to get them to stand still.  Sounds like Gracie may be better mannered :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not much better, believe me.  ;)  And, no kidding, I've about had it with wiping her wet feet the whole live long day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Stella loves to drag in anything she can find, so I keep both a wet and dry Swifer in the kitchen closet. I usually dry Swif every other day to get the hair and dirt off and wet Swif twice a week to keep things clean. They work great on both wood floors and the kitchen floor. If I keep up with it, it's usually not that bad. We also keep a door mat by the door that she's required to dry off on everytime she comes in from the rain. She's learned to sit on the mat and stay there until we tell her otherwise, that way all the wetness gets off her paws. And of course, we give her a treat when she's done.

Mostly, I've learned to give up on having spotless floors like we had pre-Stella...but she's worth it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, we have a huge Waterhog from L. L. bean.  It does capture the grass and some of the gunk, but her wet feet are wet until I wipe them with a towel.

My DH used to be super uptight about what she was doing to the floors, but he's relaxed a lot, thankfully.  I was at my wits end trying to pretend we didn't have a dog when it came to the wood floors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my mom just got me a great steam mop for xmas. It's light, heats up in a minute, and came with two pads and a carpet attachment. It's a HAAN I love it!

I do still have to really mop once every other month, but way less than I used to.

If you have tile floors, what I do is put two damp papertowels on a swiffer mop and for spot cleaning in the kitchen. you can also put dry paper towels on the swiffer and spritz the floor with the cleaner of your choice.
    I used to spend a lot of money on the wet swiffers, but it's more economical to use the steam mop once a week and use damp paper towels on the swiffer mop. plus, I hate how the wet swiffers drip everywhere when you take them out of the container.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Oh my, Kinga - will Stella teach Bosco the trick of staying on her mat until her paws are dry? I chase him all over the house with his towel - it's just a game of keep-away for him, because he loves getting the massage of being toweled off when he's wet. He just makes me work for it!

For my two cents, I use the Swiffers as well and have pretty good luck with it. I keep his towel in the kitchen and we always use that door to come in and out so that pretty much saves the rest of the floors.

I've never looked at steam mops - do they work on hardwood floors?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

as long as your floors are finished, you can usually use a steam mop. You just have to check the steam mop's info and make sure it's safe for hardwood floors, because some models aren't. Mine is safe for hardwood floors and is the main reason my mom got it for me. I was mopping so much because of all the snow we got this year, so the steam mop saved my sanity. Plus, I feel better using it on my floors than a bunch of chemical cleaner. I don't have to corral the dog and cat until the floor is totally dry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My steamer is OK for finished hardwood floors, too.  I've seen the HAAN demonstrated on QVC and toyed with buying it, but I'm not sure how I'd justify it to DH given that I have a steamer already...sigh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have the Shark Deluxe Steam pocket mop and I love it.  It comes with 2 large pads and one triangle pad I use for my bathroom as it gets in all the nooks and crannies. it also came with a  purple pad for my hardwood floors.  Heats up in 30 seconds and I have never had streaking.  Has made my life so much easier and I am always amazed at how much dirt it gets up.  The head also swivels so I do the floors once with one side of the pad and turn it around and do it again with the clean side.  I like the convenience of plugging it in and cleaning up right away when Amber comes in.  The floors dry quickly too. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Exactly Pink and how funny DD bought me mine as I was complaining so much about having to keep mopping the floors this winter. So that was my Christmas gift and I love it.  Mine is safe for hardwood floors too.  I have hardwood in the bedrooms and porcelain in all the other rooms.  Love the drying time is nothing too.

In Response to Re: Keeping floors clean (with a dog):
    [QUOTE]as long as your floors are finished, you can usually use a steam mop. You just have to check the steam mop's info and make sure it's safe for hardwood floors, because some models aren't. Mine is safe for hardwood floors and is the main reason my mom got it for me. I was mopping so much because of all the snow we got this year, so the steam mop saved my sanity. Plus, I feel better using it on my floors than a bunch of chemical cleaner. I don't have to corral the dog and cat until the floor is totally dry.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You don't rinse out the pads at all.  They get wet (not soaking) from the steam.  I just turn the head around and use the other side of the pad.  I use one pad for each room.  Very easy to take off and put a new one on. I also have 2 heads, a large square one and a smaller triangle one that is perfect for my bathroom.  It came with 2 large pads, 2 triangle pads and 1 pad for the hard wood floors.  Very easy to change the heads and pads. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, my steam mop experience mirrors your concerns.  It's not faster and, while the floor ends up looking great, it's a PITA.  However, I think it's steam mop dependent, and I'd consider buying a HAAN.  Pink, what model do you have?  There are so many HAANs, and they all have a wide array of reviews.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I find it faster for the simple reason I am not always rinsing out the mop.  I find my floors are cleaner too.  It is probably personal preference.  I just love mine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Oh my, Kinga - will Stella teach Bosco the trick of staying on her mat until her paws are dry? I chase him all over the house with his towel - it's just a game of keep-away for him, because he loves getting the massage of being toweled off when he's wet. He just makes me work for it! For my two cents, I use the Swiffers as well and have pretty good luck with it. I keep his towel in the kitchen and we always use that door to come in and out so that pretty much saves the rest of the floors. I've never looked at steam mops - do they work on hardwood floors?
    Posted by bigpuppy[/QUOTE]
    Oh Bosco! They need a playdate soon! We'll be walking around the neighborhood this weekend, hopefully we'll see you!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't have to change the pad until after one or two rooms, depending on how dirty the floor is.

This is the one I have:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I don't have to change the pad until after one or two rooms, depending on how dirty the floor is. This is the one I have: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1AVSX_enUS415US415&q=haan+slim+and+light&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10733887802659262108&sa=X&ei=UefeTeHlIMnx0gGRyMTRCg&ved=0CFgQ8wIwAg
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks!

ETA:  All ordered. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Hope you love it as much as I do!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I'm sure I will...can't wait to get it.  Things come so fast these days, though, you can practically snap your fingers and make it appear.

How long can you mop before it goes dry, and can you fill immediately and keep going?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar,

I personally get 3 rooms done with one tank and I fill again for my kitchen and hallways.  Depends on how big the tank is.   You don't have to wait.  I unplug it, fill it and it is steaming again in no time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, it heats up really fast. The first time you ever start it, it does take a bit longer, but usually it's 60-90 seconds. I can do three rooms on a tank, but my apartment is tiny. I would say you get 400-500 sqft out of a tank depending on how dirty the floor is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yahoo, thanks ladies!  My canister one is a big fat pita.  You not only have to wait for it to heat up for about 10 minutes, but you also have to wait for it to cool down before you can unscrew the cap or you'll get massive steam burns, like a car radiator.

I cannot wait to get this one, thanks, again!!  We have hardwoods, and DH tries to curb his nature and not blame me for the messy floors, but I know the doggie prints bug him half out of his mind.