What to Do with a Cat that Won't Stop Crying?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]If she doesn't take care of the cat at all- not even buying it food?????? Then I think you need to tell her either she takes care of the cat or the cat has to go. That's neglect. You could report her to the authorities.
    [/Quote]

I admit, I've thought about reporting her. I make sure the cats are fed and watered. I check to make sure the outdoor cat isn't left out all night. I worry about what will happen when I go on vacation next month. Luckily, our third roommate is responsible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I like the cat nip idea, Alf. Thanks. This cat will do anything for any substance that appears to be edible. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]I like the cat nip idea, Alf. Thanks. This cat will do anything for any substance that appears to be edible. :)[/Quote]

Sounds like my cat. lol. Don't give them too much catnip; they can get sick from it. A small pinch rubbed on a toy will do just fine. Have fun!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I have a problem with my roommate's cat - when she wants something, which is often, she sits and yowls until she gets it. She sounds like a cat in heat (which she isn't). What she wants, most frequently, is my roommate. She will sit outside her bedroom door for hours in the middle of the night and cry. My roommate will, if anything, throw her down into the basement (where she cries at the basement door until someone lets her out, only to resume crying at my roommate's door). It's making me crazy. I understand that the cat is horribly neglected, and I feel terrible for her, but - is there anything I can do to just make her SHUT UP?

This problem has been going on for months. I can't really think of any options other than leaving the door open so she'll run away or muzzling her. I would appreciate any serious help. I have a sound machine for my room, but she's so loud that it doesn't help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Give the cat some affection. That's the only solution. She wants attention fromy our roommate and isn't getting it, so if you want the yowling to stop you'll have to give the attention. Unfortunately, this might end up with the cat being "your" cat, which isn't fair to you. But, if your roommate feeds the cat, cleans the litter box and takes the cat to the vet, then you can't exactly make her get rid of it. Petting a cat is a small price to pay for peace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]Give the cat some affection. That's the only solution. She wants attention fromy our roommate and isn't getting it, so if you want the yowling to stop you'll have to give the attention. Unfortunately, this might end up with the cat being "your" cat, which isn't fair to you. But, if your roommate feeds the cat, cleans the litter box and takes the cat to the vet, then you can't exactly make her get rid of it. Petting a cat is a small price to pay for peace. [/Quote]

A small side note, but I feed her cats, she doesn't buy cat food (preferring to steal it from my other roommate) and no one cleans the litter box.

Her other cat has already become my cat. She says I can't take him when we eventually part ways, but... we'll see about that. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Play w/ the cat. If you give it some attention, it will stop. My cat used to do this all the time. Once I figured out that he just wanted attention, and gave it to him, he stopped yowling. Then again, once he realizes that the yowling works, he's going to keep it up whenever he wants something, so it's kind of a vicious circle. But playing w/ the cat for 10-20 minutes per day dramatically cuts down on the yowling. Good luck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]I agree that playing with her is an excellent idea. She won't play with me. She wants her mama, and she runs whenever anyone else approaches her. I have suggested, repeatedly, that giving her what she wants when she howls is a bad idea. My roommate ignores everything I say.

I hesitate to suggest that the real solution is that my roommate either live the rest of her days alone (with the cat) or give her cats to someone who actually knows how to care for them properly.[/Quote]

Sometimes when cats run away from you, they are playing. It took me about a year to figure this out [I had dogs previously]. My cat would run and hide behind something, and wait for me to throw something for him to pounce on. Try one of those cat toys on a string. Dangle it near the cat, or around the corner from the cat. He/she should come around in pretty short order. Rubbing catnip on the toy may get the cat in the mood to play too. Good luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

If she doesn't take care of the cat at all- not even buying it food?????? Then I think you need to tell her either she takes care of the cat or the cat has to go. That's neglect. You could report her to the authorities.

[Quote][Quote]Give the cat some affection. That's the only solution. She wants attention fromy our roommate and isn't getting it, so if you want the yowling to stop you'll have to give the attention. Unfortunately, this might end up with the cat being "your" cat, which isn't fair to you. But, if your roommate feeds the cat, cleans the litter box and takes the cat to the vet, then you can't exactly make her get rid of it. Petting a cat is a small price to pay for peace. [/Quote]

A small side note, but I feed her cats, she doesn't buy cat food (preferring to steal it from my other roommate) and no one cleans the litter box.

Her other cat has already become my cat. She says I can't take him when we eventually part ways, but... we'll see about that. :)[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I agree that playing with her is an excellent idea. She won't play with me. She wants her mama, and she runs whenever anyone else approaches her. I have suggested, repeatedly, that giving her what she wants when she howls is a bad idea. My roommate ignores everything I say.

I hesitate to suggest that the real solution is that my roommate either live the rest of her days alone (with the cat) or give her cats to someone who actually knows how to care for them properly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fredsky. Show fredsky's posts

Re: What to Do with a Cat that Won't Stop Crying?

Get rid of your roommate.  Keep the cat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

My suggestion is to steal something from your lousy roommate's laundry basket, preferably a favorite expensive silk something, and hide it in the cat's bed. Having her scent may help with the yowling.  Cats are nocturnal, my cat used to cry outside my door and it was let her in or not sleep. So I started a trick I used when travelling- I'd sleep with a towel for a few nights and put it on her favorite windowsill. It helped.

If that doesn't work, you have to either give her an ultimatum or train the cat to be yours, knowing she'll soon be crying outside your door. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from morrigan74. Show morrigan74's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Lucy, your roomate sounds like a waste of space.

Maybe it's time to get your landlord involved. If that poor cat is really making your living situation that awful, your landlord should be able to make your roomate do SOMETHING, even if it's finding that cat a new (and hopefully better) owner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shazam. Show Shazam's posts

You should have a serious conversation with your roommate about this. It sounds like the cat needs to have your roommate's door left a crack open at night so the cat can sleep with your roommate. If your roommate is unwilling to do this or if doesn't work, then either your roommate or you need to move out. If it doesn't bother your roommate, your roommate may be better finding someplace on her own or you may be better off looking for another place with a different roommate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cleanfreak. Show cleanfreak's posts

Why haven't we heard from the roommate who originally posted this issue nearly 3 years ago?   There are so many people who have voiced opinions and suggestions and would appreciate a follow-up on the fate of this innocent cat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquanet. Show aquanet's posts

Please call the no kill shelter Buddy Dog and tell them your roommate is neglecting the cat and you can no longer sit by and watch it happen and you would love to give this sweet, loved starved cat a chance a good home.  There is a small fee to surrender the cat to help cover cost, but unlike most shelters they will carefully screen the perspective new parents and hang on to the cat until she is adopted- not matter how long it takes.

Sometimes there is a waiting list- but its worth the wait. And you conscience will be clean.

Talk to your roommate about it- she may have to sign a release giving the shelter custody. and tell her no more pets until she is older and has more time to give to a deserving pet. ITs not fair to this poor cat to leave her in the situation she's in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"I'm starting to think that I could say nothing and give the cat away and she wouldn't notice"

If I were in your position, I would talk to your other roommate and the two of you together face her with a joint "majority" decision - she obviously is not pet owner material and shouldn't have those cats, and that she can't keep them and continue to live there. It's not fair to the cats or to the two of you who are left to care for them and to worry about their welfare. In the meantime, be asking around for someone who is truly looking for a "pet", and be prepared with a name(s) of someone ready and willing to take the cat(s) and give them a home. I put the plural in parenthesis, because it seems as tho you yourself may want to keep the "other" cat. Think long and hard about that before you do, it's an ongoing commitment that involves care of the cat when you may want to go away for a few days.

Good luck.

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtp. Show mtp's posts

All that cat needs is some attention - it will keep crying as long as she feels that it is being neglected.  If the roommate does not want it, then you or maybe the MSPCA may need to take charge of her.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---- Her other cat has already become my cat. She says I can't take him when we eventually part ways, but... we'll see about that. :) -----

Hi lucy,

Your irresponsible room mate have ANOTHER cat (which now is yours)? If this room mate is not taking care of her cats, she should not have any.

Well to answer your OP. You said the cat keep crying for hours in front of her bedroom door? Well, if you have tried everything else - I would just get up and let her (the cat) in. Ok, so your RM will throw her in the basement and the cat will cry there. Let her out of the basement and open your room mates door. She is so inconsiderate to you and your 3rd room mate, that I do not think you need to be considerate to her.

I hope your emotions will not take over, so you keep her cat - whenever you two parts. It is her cat, and she should be responsible for it. It is not fair to put this burden on you - unless you really love the cat to death.

With burden I only mean - finding another place to live and someone to take care of him/her whenever you want to go someplace for a longer period of time. I know the daughter to my secretary had the hardest time to find a place to live, where she could keep the cat. So she ended up moving back to her mom, cat in tow. Her mom lost her couch and her favorite chair in the process - and she had to get rid of most of her plants. For almost a year, I heard nothing but complaints every morning she would get to work. She finally gave her daughter an ultimatum. Your cat needs to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cleanfreak. Show cleanfreak's posts

I find this extremely disturbing, and I urge you to contact the MSPCA Animal Cruelty Division.  Their main number is 617-522-7282 even if you do not live in Massachusetts; you will be instructed where to call.  If these cats were children, the abuse would be reported. As it is they are helpless and rely on a human caregiver. I include both cats because this roommate is threatening to take both cats when she leaves.  She should not be allowed ownership since she is not buying food, cleaning their litter box(es) or giving them any kind of physical or emotional support. Are they getting an annual vet visit? Are they up to date on shots? The crying cat may have a physical issue or may need medication to calm him down.   Whatever you do, do not permit this to continue as the life of these cats is in her irreponsible and non-caring hands. Explain everything to the animal cruelty investigator. Worse comes to worse have the cats removed.  If you want them, can you move?  I fear if she moves with the cats, she will put them in a kill shelter and that's it for them.  They deserve better.  Please call the MSPCA or Animal Rescue League in Boston for advice.  Thank you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cleanfreak. Show cleanfreak's posts

Does anyone know what happened to the two cats discusssed in Lucy 7368's blog about her roommate's behavior and how the cat who cried was treated?   It was evidently posted a year ago, but she never followed up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

slap your roomate and tell her to stop neglecting her cat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alice234. Show Alice234's posts

This is a real question- not an argument!  Why would a cat cry for attention if he/she has at least one other cat to play with?  It sounds like "bad roommate" has two cats and if she's stealing cat food from "third roommate" there might even be another cat in the house.

And why would the cat bond with the person in the house who feeds and plays with her least?

Are there other reasons why cats would howl?  Thank you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

You're all right. What can I say? It is difficult to give her an ultimatum when she hasn't been home in four days. She decided to go skiing, without informing me or my other roommate, without purchasing cat food, without filling the water dish, without cleaning the litter box, and without asking anyone to feed them.

I'm starting to think that I could say nothing and give the cat away and she wouldn't notice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from citizen49. Show citizen49's posts

You have one god-awful roommate. Why do you live with her to begin with? I'd find myself a new place and turn her into the MSPCA and Feline Rescue. How do three of you live in an apartment with a disgusting litter box shared by several cats? Basically, you are all responsible for the litter boxes because you all live there and the cats cannot take control of the situation. Are you all 12?