SSN on an online job application?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

SSN on an online job application?

I was applying for a position with a well-known social service agency based in Boston.  The online application asked for the social security number.  I don't feel comfortable giving that information out online to begin with, but to be asked for that before being interviewed seemed strange.  I tried to submit the application anyway, and it got bounced back to me.  I looked for someplace to explain that I would give that informtion (as well as information about references) upon interview.  Did not exist.  I decided not to apply to that organization.

Have any of you ever been asked for a social security number *before* even being interviewed?  It seems weird to me.  I don't think I want to work someplace that would require that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: SSN on an online job application?

Yes,  that's how things are now.   They want tons of information online and don't even acknowledge that they've recieved your application.  A lot of places don't even have a HR department,  and when you call,  if you are able to reach anyone  they usually give you a we'll call you if we're interested,  don't call us type of response.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I found this online.  Hope it helps.

Protect your Social Security number. Some legitimate online job application sites and employment kiosks may sometimes ask for your Social Security number(SSN) and date of birth prior to posting a resume or applying for a job. (For example, www.sportsauthority.com, www.albertsons.com, usajobs.opm.gov, studentjobs.gov, and many state job sites request this information.) Some of these sites conduct instant SSN matching or background checks on your information to verify it.

It is the position of the World Privacy Forum that you as a job seeker should never have to submit your SSN or date of birth prior to applying for a job, especially online where verification of where the SSN is going is more challenging. Broad dissemination of your SSN can lead to identity theft. It is appropriate for you to allow a serious employer to use your SSN and date of birth to conduct a background check after you have engaged in the interview process.Not all sites that request your SSN and date of birth are legitimate. As a general rule, you should not supply this information up front, especially in combination with your credit card information.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just a footnote, I have never been asked that online.  Usually I send my resume and wait for a call back.  I would not send my SS number online IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

That sounds nice and all that,  but the bottom line is they won't accept/consider your application unless you give them this information.  The young people today have no problem providing them with this stuff online.  PS: Most places don't accept paper resumes anymore,  they get filed in the trash. Sorry if I offend anyone but this has been the experience of myself and people I know,  within the last 3 years.   PS: You could attempt to show up in person and fill out an application,  just be aware they may not be receptive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a difficult position they put job seekers in.  Compromise your security or you can't even apply for a job?  Wow.

I'd look into ID Theft protection/insurance if I were being required to hand out my SSN on job applications.  They aren't cheap services, but you'd be insured up to $1 M of damage (for LifeLock and TrustedID), and if you're concerned about it the expense might be worth your peace of mind.

Also, before submitting anything personal, look up at the address line for the "https://" meaning it's being sent over an encrypted channel before you hit Enter on the submit page.  Sometimes you'll see the https, but it will be in red and lined out.  In that case, call the company and alert them to the fact that their internet security is down and ask what to do instead of sending your information in an unsecure manner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It is not a common practice to request that.  I know as I have been looking for another job for a while.  As the article stated, some do want that online.  I just wouldn't apply for that job. 

ETA:  When applying for a job online, you send your resume.  If you go to that companies website, there is where you probably have to do an online application. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Thanks, all...It was the first time I had ever seen that.  In my mind, social security numbers and reference's names are pretty private information.
    I want to have a sense that I fit in with the job/environment before a potential employer contacts references.  I don't want those names floatin' around out there unless/until I know that I'm interested in the position.  These people are busy!

If a potentilal employer isn't willing to respect that, it a lot about the workplace!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not sure why LifeLock and TrustedID don't use sites like that as advertisement for their protection services.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I believe they want your SSN to do a credit check on you.  I wouldn't give that information online, but would give it if they require it AFTER if I'd been given (and wanted) an offer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Dog lady -- Pretty rough way for HR to treat an applicant, especially these days.  Would you rather hear that, or no response whatsoever?  It's a tough call...

My dream would be to find out what, exactly, kicked me to the curb.  But then, interviewing is a pretty subjective process.  What may get me bounced by one interviewer, might be attractive to another. 

While the unemployment rate is 9.2 per cent nationally (a little better in MA), competition is very tough.  I'm petite, and closing in on 60 years old.  I'm currently employed, but from time to time just test the waters a bit.  I am not going to take any chances in this economy! 

A lot of baby boomers are going the self-employment route, simply because of the clear age discrimination going on out there.  Some are even having some pretty good success with it.  Better than getting the kind of treatment your friend got!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The federal gov't routinely requests a SSN on job applications. They also tell you to fill out only the last 4 digits.  You put XXX-XX for the remainder.

It's not that hard, nor is it difficult.  If an employer questions why you didn't include the whole 9 digit number, then do you really want to work for them?  Just put the last 4 and call it a day. If the on line app won't take X for numbers, insert a 0 and then just include the last 4. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Maldenlady,

Fill out the application, SSN and all, but don't submit it online. Print it out, find out a contact, and snail-mail it in to that person.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But, many of these companies are going paperless in this respect.  Why would they bother with a paper one if they get 100s per position online?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greatmc. Show greatmc's posts

The world of online applications is tricky. The employer may have understood your hesitancy to supply this information if you had been able to get ahold of their HR department and explain that you either a) did not feel comfortable supplying your SSN until further into the interview process or that b) you just did not wish to supply it online and would be happen to send your application in via snail mail.

I have been asked for my SSN before on an application, but not in an online form. I would have checked to see that the website was an https://www... to tell you that your submission was going to a secure location (https as opposed to http).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Hi!  Thanks, all, for your responses...

Greatmc -- I tried getting through to their HR department, wasn't easy.  I finally was able to leave a voice mail.  I asked them if there were a way of submitting an application without providing my social security number (before being interviewed), and whether they would take a mailed copy.  I asked for their mailing address.  I got a voice mail back, saying they *only* took online apps.  Not possible to mail a resume.  I did try again to send it online, and again it got bounced back to me.  I'm not going to apply to them again -- I can't feel good about a workplace that requires that level of information before hire.  Yes, after being hired, they need that information for their own tax purposes (when they submit withholding, social security, etc.)  But c'mon!  Before an initial interview?  That's just creepy!  If I didn't know better, I'd suspect it was a scam/identity theft operation.  But there ya go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

It's been this way for as long as I can remember,  they want all your information first, neat and tidy, so if they do decide to interview you and then if they offer you a job they can proceed quickly.  If they don't call you for an interview or offer you a job,  your application and resume usually [depending on the company] stays on file for 6 months and is then deleted/discarded.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindamh. Show Lindamh's posts

In Response to Re: SSN on an online job application?:
    [QUOTE]I found this online.  Hope it helps. Protect your Social Security number. Some legitimate online job application sites and employment kiosks may sometimes ask for your Social Security number(SSN) and date of birth prior to posting a resume or applying for a job. (For example, www.sportsauthority.com , www.albertsons.com , usajobs.opm.gov , studentjobs.gov , and many state job sites request this information.) Some of these sites conduct instant SSN matching or background checks on your information to verify it. It is the position of the World Privacy Forum that you as a job seeker should never have to submit your SSN or date of birth prior to applying for a job, especially online where verification of where the SSN is going is more challenging. Broad dissemination of your SSN can lead to identity theft. It is appropriate for you to allow a serious employer to use your SSN and date of birth to conduct a background check after you have engaged in the interview process.Not all sites that request your SSN and date of birth are legitimate. As a general rule, you should not supply this information up front, especially in combination with your credit card information.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindamh. Show Lindamh's posts

There is something in the law called BFOQ  - Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications -  Employers are not allowed to ask certain questions prior to being hired - such as age / children / gender / marital status / etc.
    The reason was to get qualified persons into jobs and eliminate some discrimination - looks like it's gone to ... in a handbasket.

Never give your SSN or age in advance - should be "under 18 / over 18" only. Even my bank only asks for a portion - not the whole number!  And checking before even interviewing - efficient but cruel and unneccessary treatment. 
    Identity theft is at an all time high and employers should know and understand.
    And they lament that people have no loyalty - wonder why?
    I love Seinfeld - when he's called by a telemarketer - "I'm busy right now, can you give me your home phone # and I'll call you back"  - Wish we could turn the tables on the companies  in a similar way.  "Tell me your age and SS# first"
    Revolt is the answer but we also need to eat!  Damn Reality. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindamh. Show Lindamh's posts

Can we ask the company for ID theft insurance paid for by them?

In Response to Re: SSN on an online job application?:
    [QUOTE]What a difficult position they put job seekers in.  Compromise your security or you can't even apply for a job?  Wow. I'd look into ID Theft protection/insurance if I were being required to hand out my SSN on job applications.  They aren't cheap services, but you'd be insured up to $1 M of damage (for LifeLock and TrustedID), and if you're concerned about it the expense might be worth your peace of mind. Also, before submitting anything personal, look up at the address line for the "http s ://" meaning it's being sent over an encrypted channel before you hit Enter on the submit page.  Sometimes you'll see the https, but it will be in red and lined out.  In that case, call the company and alert them to the fact that their internet security is down and ask what to do instead of sending your information in an unsecure manner.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindamh. Show Lindamh's posts

Never Never Never prior to hiring - too many issues!!

NIn Response to Re: SSN on an online job application?:
    [QUOTE]Maldenlady, Fill out the application, SSN and all, but don't submit it online. Print it out, find out a contact, and snail-mail it in to that person.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40something. Show 40something's posts

I have been asked prior to an interview for this information and have always declined. While many large firms do require this info for an online application, many more do not. I feel this is an indication of the culture of the company. If they don't respect the privacy and security rights of their employees (or potential employees) it's not the company for me.

I understand that in this tough job market you might have to weigh the pros and cons of my approach. If you decide to risk it, try entering the same digit 10 times or try 123-456-7890.

Good Luck

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from canim. Show canim's posts

comment