Massachusetts Writers - Living

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Massachusetts Writers - Living

Think I will start the new Claire Cook book I got at the library - do you read her ?  She lives down Cohasset/Scituate way and her books are pretty much set on the South Shore/Cape area.  One, MUST LOVE DOGS was made into a movie with Diane Lane.

(Athough I think her last one was set in Atlanta and was excellent.) 

Anyone else got a Massachusetts based writer to recommend?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Massachusetts Writers - Living

Dr Keith Ablow
    He grew up in Marblehead.  http://keithablow.com/drablowsbooks/                                                                                                                            "To Wrestle With Demons: A Psychiatrist Struggles to Understand His Patients and Himself"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I also recommend Dr Michael Palmer, medical thrillers.  http://www.michaelpalmerbooks.com/about-michael-palmer   He lives North of Boston.  

"In addition to the writing, I work part time (20 hours a week or so) for the Massachusetts Medical Society as an Associate Director of their physician health program, helping doctors with physical illness, mental illness, or substance abuse put their lives together. It’s tremendously rewarding work and offers great balance to the isolation of writing. But doing that job, plus the writing, plus daddying puts a high premium on discipline. Fortunately, if I have nothing else, I have that."

—Michael Palmer

The 1996 thriller film Extreme Measures, starring Hugh Grant, Gene Hackman and Sarah Jessica Parker, is based on Palmer's book of the same name.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The Claire Cook book, Time Flies, was super.  Anyone who has ever driven 128 to Rt 3 should enjoy it.  Anyone who graduated from HS in the 70s should enjoy it.  Highly recommended.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Hats.  I'll give her a look/see to see what my local library has of hers.  Not going through a reading phase right now, but maybe she'll put me back in one!

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, as the weather changes and we go into the dark and cold portion of the year, maybe people will feel more like reading!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Another writer I really recommend is Suzanne Strempek Shea.  Her first novels were about people of Polish descent living in Western Mass.  Loved Hoopi Shoopi Donna and Selling the Lite of Heaven so much!  Here's her bio from her website. About Suzanne

Suzanne Strempek Shea is the author of five novels: Selling the Lite of Heaven, Hoopi Shoopi Donna, Lily of the Valley, Around Again, and Becoming Finola, published by Washington Square Press. She has also written three memoirs, Songs From a Lead-lined Room: Notes - High and Low - From My Journey Through Breast Cancer and Radiation; Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama and Other Page-Turning Adventures From a Year in a Bookstore; and Sundays in America: A Yearlong Road Trip in Search of Christian Faith, all published by Beacon Press.

She co-wrote the recently released 140 Years of Providential Care: The Sisters of Providence of Holyoke, Massachusetts with her husband, Tom Shea, senior foreign editor for The National newspaper in Abu Dhabi, and with author/historian Michele P. Barker.

She has just finished This is Paradise, a book about Mags Riordan, founder of the Billy Riordan Memorial Clinic in the African nation of Malawi, and is seeking publisher interest in a sixth novel, about a palm reader, and in an anthology on soap operas coordinated with novelist and dramatist Elizabeth Searle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Googled a couple of her books and they definitely sound like what I'd like.  Have the author on my list.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have not done any reading in a while, but did pick up a book I had bought a couple of months ago,  "The Good Husband" by Gail Godwin, and I know already that it's one that will be hard for me to put down for long.  I do love her style of writing.  Have read a couple of others of hers and was drawn right into them from page one.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh yeah, she is a very good writer, for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I like light popular fiction---Elin Hildebrand and Nancy Thayer I love. Claire Cook-yes- like her books too. I have a lot of these 3 women's books on my Kindle.

Joseph Finder lives in Boston--I loved "Paranoia"-they are making a movie of it coming out soon. I read some others, but that one was my favorite.

One negative thing about the kindle- I dont remember what I have read unless I pull up my home page--not like a good old book you constantly see, and know the cover.  May start to drift away from it. But it is so handy-I have it with me all time time--got me through many long days when DH was in the hospital, instead of lugging a big book.

Michael Palmer is good too--I know I read a bunch of his in years past.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: Kindle - I hear you - I mostly use mine when I don't want to lug a lot of books around, on vacation, for example, and to read old books that are out of copyright - like Jane Austen - Pride and Predjudice -  and the Brontes - Jane Eyre...Dickens...that kind of thing.  New stuff I read real books.  Try not to buy new stuff but get it from the library.

I use goodreads to track what I have read.  www.goodreads.com