How to cook full artichoke....help please!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

How to cook full artichoke....help please!

Can anyone please tell me how to cook a full artichoke! I tried tonight, and it was awful :(

I want the normal large artichoke, the kind with butter dipping sauce.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: How to cook full artichoke....help please!

Hey, Peonie,

If it was terrible it was probably undercooked (or you ate the bitter, gooey stem - yuck).  They take a long time to steam.  You CAN simply put it in a steaming basket insert in a large sauce pan with an inch and a half - 2 inches of water and steam it without preparing it other than cutting the stem off (which is edible but very bitter - is that what you ate?).  Depending on the size, it can take 30 - 45 minutes.  When a BBQ skewer can be inserted with minor pressure into the bottom (pointing up) and when the leaves come free with a gentle tug (not a war!), it's done.  The kitchen will also start to smell heavily like artichokes. 

Now, I do a little prep first to help it cook a bit faster and to make it easier to eat.  I take a very sharp chef's knife and chop off the top 2 inches or so.  Then, I scrape out the small, whitish/yellowish leaves with pink edges and sharp thorns and the fuzzy/hairy choke (also not edible) underneath those thorny leaves in the center of the artichoke with a grapefruit spoon (serrated edges, sharp point). There should be a hole in the center of the large green leaves so you can look down into the artichoke and see the exposed greyish/greenish heart.  I cut most of the stem off. 

To eat, pull leaves free and dip ends (tiny bit) in butter and pull leaves through your teeth to scrap the little meat off.  As you get closer to the center, there will be more to eat per leaf.  When most of the leaves are off, take a sharp knife and run it around the heart (solid piece at bottom) removing the very dark green ruffly part (don't cut too deeply!) and any remaining stem.  Scrape any remaining hairs/choke off.  Dip in butter and enjoy the best part.

When you shop for them, choose artichokes that are heavy for their size.

P.S.  Wine is a disaster with artichokes.  Something about the chemical interaction.  That might have been another cause of it being "terrible."  Save the wine for the main course. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

THANK YOU, Kar! :) You are the best!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome, Peonie, HTH!!   By the way, I learned my technique from the Joy of Cooking.  It has been a go-to cookbook for me over the last 15 years.  Still is.  I HIGHLY recommend it for every kitchen for home cooks of every skill level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I have had artichokes not properly cut and prepared.  And Whoa, what should have been a treat was AWFUL.

Never thought about the wine, but I have twice had ones soaked in wine overnight, as a marinade, and thought it was me when I gagged .

Not a usual marinade, for artichokes, but she got the recipe from some food channel.   I just thought, maybe she had used the wrong wine?  They were horribly bitter and sour.

One reason I thought it was me was that I have had excellent artichokes that were cooked in Savory and James Cream Sherry.

But this more acidic wine and artichokes,  my teeth felt like the enamel was gone.  Not just me?
       Artichokes are really hard to find up here except in summer, and DH asks for them.
    Joy is one of my go to books - some editions.  I got one as a gift 10 years back that had dropped half of the know your ingredients, tips, and entertaining stuff, and had all this microwave and incorporating convenience foods  garbage.  And cooking spray and oil, not butter,  corn syrups and high fructose stuff not butter and brown sugar combinations.  No vinegar and baking soda eggless recipes either.   I am now careful when I buy a Joy as a gift, or second hand for a student or 1st apt person.

The edition I got for my wedding is like the classic mid seventies edition I grew up with, and bought from a second hand bookstore  when I got my first apartment.  Absolutely great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Waggie, definitely NOT you that it affected you so miserably to have an artichoke marinated in wine.  That's the general rule.  That's not to say that every single wine would be awful, but I was trying to suggest all the reasons I could think of that Peonie's might have come out yucky.

That's great, albeit sad, to know about Joy. :(  I got mine a long time ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Peonie - I do pretty much what Kar described - I cut off the top of the artichoke and the stem, and steam it in a few inches of water for about 20-30 minutes.

But then I take it out, drizzle with olive oil, and stuff garlic and fresh provalone under most of the leaves.  Then I put in the oven (I forget what temp... maybe 350) for a little while (sorry - I don't always time things).  I then eat as Kar described.  So yummy!!  However, DH has NO interest.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, sounds like a yummy variation, poppy! My DH doesn't care too much for them, either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Some other helpful hints - artichokes with purple on the leaves are getting woody and are not good. (Our regular American globe chokes, not the Italian purple ones). However in early spring or when the smaller fall crop comes in, if the leaves have a light brown flaking on them, this is from frost and these chokes are sweeter than usual. The more closed the leaves the better. When they get pointy and stick out, it also means they are old. I like my chokes boiled with a little olive oil and herbs de provence in the water. It makes them tasty and you don't need to eat them with as much butter. A little cut up tomato in the butter also tastes good and makes it less caloric. And it depends on the individual choke, because sometimes the stems are very tasty. More often, they aren't but I always peel them before I cook them and try it when they're done. If I have to throw it out then, nothing lost.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

Although all above sounds good, I prefer them boiled in chicken broth.  First cut off the tips of the leaves and the tip of the stem.  (Don't cut most of the stem off, this is one of the best parts.).  Cover with chicken broth and boil for a long time, much longer than you ever expect.  Something like an hours or more.

Eat them as kargiver describes, excepting that I love the stem.  It really depends on the artichoke, though.

By the way, I love artichokes!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I love artichokes, but my FI does not, so when I make (or well made it once) it is only for me. They are delicious though! And, I think, fun to eat :)

Thank you for all of the tips. Hopefully it will go better this time. I am going to try again tomorrow night. Poppy, if I do not bake it, how long should I steam it for?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueBird2731. Show BlueBird2731's posts

How funny to come across this article - I just finished steaming 2 big fat artichokes (for 45 minutes).  Cut the stem on the diagonal, it will cook better. You can always just eat the inner part of the stem if the skin is a little tough.

This is a great food for kids and adults alike as it's totally finger food.  Put a bowl on the table for all the half-eaten leaves. 

Healthier options to dipping in butter: butter/lemon juice mix. plain yogurt with a little dijon mustard, balsamic vinagrette or any salad dressing, and Indian raita. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke/

Found this recipe. Will be trying (again) tomorrow night!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissyPoo. Show MissyPoo's posts

I have been using a pressure cooker for over 30 years and50+ it is one of the most important tools in my kitchen.  If you steam an artichoke in a plain pot, it will take around 1 hour; in the pressure cooker it's done in 25 minutes.

It is great for making brown rice (20 minutes vs 45 in a regular pot).  Corn, broccoli, green beans, beets and many other veggies cook in 1/4 to 1/2 the time without any loss of nutrients.  

It is a major investment ($50+) but it will serve you for many years.  I have a 4 qt size which can double as a pasta pot, sauce pot, etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WakeUpAmericaB4its2Late. Show WakeUpAmericaB4its2Late's posts

Ok, I now remember why I left New England. Too many obese folks. PEOPLE. You don't dip yoru artichokes in BUTTER!!!! Try something healthy for once. Hummus is by far the best additive to a well cooked Arty. Please eat one with a decent steak. Try this. Cook the arty well....45 min or so, cut the stem and top inch prior to the steaming. Before cooking add garlic salt to the water and all over the arty. Once cooked drizzle toasted sesame oil over said arty (not too much you chubbies) and dip leaves in hummus. Only use butter if you want to avoid the beach for the remainder of your life. Arty's are a healthy food, please don't abuse them with butter.
    Eric
    A Miami guy who got tired of being around unhealthy looking New Englanders.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Really wakeup???  I think you need to wake up.... how insulting to everyone on this board to assume all NE is unhealthy or obese or both.  This is a discussion board on how to cook artichokes not a commentary on butter.  We don't need the fat police comments.  Good Lord....      

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Well, this thread certainly took off!

Kar - others answered, but since you asked, I would say a 45 minute boil should be enough without the baking.  I like to make sure it's nice and tender before baking - the baking just helps seal in the flavors of the oil and garlic.

It's been a long time since I've done this - I may have to have one soon!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: How to cook full artichoke....help please!:
    Ok, I now remember why I left New England. Too many obese folks. PEOPLE. You don't dip yoru artichokes in BUTTER!!!! Try something healthy for once. Hummus is by far the best additive to a well cooked Arty. Please eat one with a decent steak. Try this. Cook the arty well....45 min or so, cut the stem and top inch prior to the steaming. Before cooking add garlic salt to the water and all over the arty. Once cooked drizzle toasted sesame oil over said arty (not too much you chubbies) and dip leaves in hummus. Only use butter if you want to avoid the beach for the remainder of your life. Arty's are a healthy food, please don't abuse them with butter. Eric A Miami guy who got tired of being around unhealthy looking New Englanders.
    Posted by WakeUpAmericaB4its2Late

Umm... last I checked 2 tablespoons of butter doesn't cause one to become obese.

I, for one, am also glad you left New England.  Not because of the butter comment but because you call artichokes "Arty".

Now, back to my blueberry muffin with butter... See you all at the beach!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ok, I now remember why I left New England. Too many obese folks. PEOPLE. You don't dip yoru artichokes in BUTTER!!!! Try something healthy for once. Hummus is by far the best additive to a well cooked Arty. Please eat one with a decent steak. Try this. Cook the arty well....45 min or so, cut the stem and top inch prior to the steaming. Before cooking add garlic salt to the water and all over the arty. Once cooked drizzle toasted sesame oil over said arty (not too much you chubbies) and dip leaves in hummus. Only use butter if you want to avoid the beach for the remainder of your life. Arty's are a healthy food, please don't abuse them with butter. Eric A Miami guy who got tired of being around unhealthy looking New Englanders.
    Posted by WakeUpAmericaB4its2Late

I'm a size 2 and 38 years old.  This looks like a pretty healthy waistline to me if I do say so myself (the wedding was 2 years ago, and I look the same today...not still wearing the dress, of course, but I could.)  I make my own hummus, but butter goes on artichokes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Gorgeous Kar!  I think Wakeup is just a trouble maker.  And besides he lives in Miami......  need I say more???  LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gorgeous Kar!  I think Wakeup is just a trouble maker.  And besides he lives in Miami......  need I say more???  LOL
    Posted by ambergirl

Thanks!  I know he's just making trouble, but I just wanted him to stick my 25" waistline in his pipe and smoke it.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

WakeUpAmericaB4its:  Only Hawaii and Colorado are LESS overweight (as a whole).  Here are the least overweight states, in order:

1Colorado
    2Hawaii
    3Conneticut
    4Ma
    5VT
    6RI

(Nottice that 3-6 are all in New England).  Florida is way down the list.  NEXT.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Why are you on Boston.com forums if you are from Miami???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Second artichoke was a great success! I had it tonight, and it was DELICIOUS. The best part, the heart!

I cut the top off and trimmed the horned edges and steamed it for exactly 45 minutes with a clove of garlic and a bay leaf. Whole Foods is having a sale, 2 California artichokes for $5.

They also had a great sale on soft shell crab, so I will be making crab cakes for company we are having tomorrow night!

Also, there is a Price Chopper coming soon to my area, and I am SO excited!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!!  So glad you asked. :)