Pingo's Rack-o-Lamb.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pingo's Rack-o-Lamb.

Kar requested my rack-o-lamb recipe. It is actually a very old William Sonoma recipe, I found years ago on my WS cd. I google it, but they have changed it, and made it more complicated IMO. They have a recipe now w/o the crumbs, but I believe the crumbs is what makes it moist and tender. The rack doesn't dry out.
    When you buy the rack look for a rack with a large "eye". The size of a silver dollar is good. I buy mine at Costco, and have never been disappointed. I look through all of them in the counter, if I have to.

Ok, here we go:
    Set your oven to 400º F. Rinse and dry your rack well and remove as much fat as possible, w/o cutting into the meat. Oil your broiler pan lightly and when the oven comes to temp. place the pan with the rack on the middle rack and give it 10 minutes.
    While the rack is in the oven, mix in a small bowl 1 Tbs. lemon juice, 1 Tbs. Olive Oil, 1 TBs. Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Set aside. Cut the crust off 3 - 4 slices of white sandwich bread (you know the cheap doughy one), tear it in pieces and place in your food processor with 3 - 4 large garlic cloves and about 1 Tbs. fresh rosemary. Give it a good whirl and set aside. (If you do this the first time, it may be easier for you to prepare above ahead of time, before you stick the rack in the oven). Don't substitute whole wheat bread or dried bread crumbs for the fresh white ones. Doesn't work.
    When the rack has been in for 10 minutes, take it out and immediately slather the mustard mixture all over it, then the bread crumb mixture. Pat them down well. Finally drizzle with melted butter.
    Put the rack back in the oven until the temp. reaches 135º F. Use an instant thermometer. It takes about 18 - 22 minutes. We like our rack very rare, but if you want it medium, just roast it a bit longer. Just keep checking the temp. When it reaches the temp. to your liking, remove the rack from the oven, cover it wil foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut it into chops - if you like - following the division of the bones. Serve it with Mint Jelly.
    One rack serves two people nicely. I have made up to 3 on my broiler pan. I just stack them like roof shingles, placing the meaty part on the bones. And I double or triple the crumbs and mustard mixture, depending on how many racks I am making.
    Roasted asparagus goes well with it. They take just the time the rack is resting. Cover a jelly pan w/ foil. Arrange the asparagus on the pan and brush them lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Stick them in as soon as you remove the rack - same temp.
    It may seem involved, but it is actually pretty easy to do. Enjoy!
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Pingo's Rack-o-Lamb.

Thanks, my friend!  DH is going to LOVE his birthday dinner.  Lamb is his favorite meat, and we hardly ever have it at home.   We'll do a couple of racks and have leftovers.  So sad to have something that yummy all gone in one meal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Haven't had a second online except for recipes including this star of the bd dinner show.  Here I go to go get the first loaf of Wonder I've bought in about 25 years, lol. :)  The lamb, thank goodness given it was $40, is still good despite my snafu with the birthday dates, mixing up FIL's with DH's, the 9th and the 11th.  Lamb says sell by March 16...yay!

Will post a photo if it comes out presentable meaning if I do it right, not if the recipe is good - I know it is 'cause it came out of Pingo's kitchen!  I hope I can do it justice.  I'll be making the toppings beforehand; I'm not very fast in the kitchen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, did you add something here?  tt called my attention to the thread, but I don't see your post.  I'm about to make the toppings.  I'll be checking back often to make sure I don't miss something you need to tell me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, re-read my post.  I told Pingo that you had posted on this thread, not vice versa.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oops, sorry, I told you I was in a panic/hurry!  Embarassed

I've got the mustard mixture and breadcrumb mixture ready to go.  The racks are coming to room temp and it will be going in at 6:00.  Prep and final dish photos forthcoming.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, I'm going to try this, it sounds yummy and pretty easy!  I've never done a rack of lamb, but I do love them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's very easy so far.  All I have to do is wash, dry the meat, trim the fat, and stick it in the oven.  Then, slather on the stuff.  It took, in fact, about 10 minutes to make those preparations, but I was too nervous to wait until the meat was in the oven to do it the first time since it usually takes me twice as long as anyone thinks it should.  It's to expensive to mess up!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I hear you, kargiver, about the time I take vs. how long the recipe says to take.  I have the 365 No Repeats Rachel Ray book and supposedly those don't take very long but I ALWAYS take an hour to make anything.  We've liked many of the recipes but they just don't take 30 minutes for me.  And any recipe that is billed as a "30 minute no kidding" recipe takes me 1 hour to do.  It even takes longer to cook or saute or whatever, not just prep time. 

Enjoy dinner!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, of course I should have looked for you in lamb section. Why didn't I think of that. No additions; my original recipe pretty much says it all. Looks like you are on your way doing just fine. Like I said, the first time it is better to do the addition before you put the rack in the oven. When you have done it a few times, there is plenty of  time to do it while the lamb gets its first roasting. It is 6:00 pm right now - so here it goes. Btw. does DH know you are making it?

CT-DC, can't agree w/ you more. All those "done it before you know" cooking shows never measure up. Those chefs have an army of helpers - you and I don't. And I am sure, they don't count the time it takes to get all the stuff out of the cabinets, refrigerator  and the spice drawer. They just reach down under the counter and just the right dish is sitting there waiting for the. And they have all the stuff they need lined up for them.

Note: The first time I made the rack, I was so nervous, that I attempted to brush the mustard and the crumbs on, while it was still on the oven rack. Don't make that mistake. Just take it out of the oven and do your dressing on the kitchen counter.

10 minutes is up, Kar. Time to dress the lamb - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've got a silicone mat on the counter ready for the smearing of the toppings.  I have red pototoes in the big oven and the racks in the toaster oven.  Can't reach in there if I wanted to, lol.  

In the spirit of the "takes longer than I thought it would" discussion, trimming the meat did so for me.  Ha!  Got it in the oven 8 minutes ago so looks like dinner will be at 6:45.

Putting spinach on, now.

Thanks, again, Pingo!!  (No, DH is totally unaware, and I got it in the oven before he came in.  He'll smell the rosemary, but that's the only hint.  Not much of one, is it?  ha ha ha. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You got the racks in the toaster oven? It must be a large toaster oven then.
    You could have trimmed the rack for the fat, while it was coming to room temperature. That's what I do. Can't wait to see the result and I wish, I could hear, what the birthday boy says, when he sees it. - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMGOODNESS!!!!!  We BOTH said that's the best lamb we've ever had and now we cannot get it anywhere else but home.  Thank you SO MUCH.  The birthday boy added, "Pingo really knows what she's doing!"  Here are a couple of photos that in my glee I forgot to shift to the right.  (Yes, it's a big convection toaster oven that is a great help at TG!)

Oh, the only thing I did that wasn't in the recipe was that I clarified 1/2 a stick of butter and browned it before drizzling it on the top (for 2 racks just over 1 lb each).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful meal, Kargiver!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!!  

We like it a little more toward medium, and it came out perfect for us, still extremely juicy and melt in your mouth tender.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congratulations, Kar - you did it! It wasn't that difficult - right? Such nice photos.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I am just as happy as you are, that it had such a successful ending. I think most people are afraid to try, as it is such an expensive piece of meat to ruin. Glad you had a nice birthday surprise for your beloved. Just hope the bread crumbs doesn't ruin it for him. But one must use the flavorless doughy bread in order not to ruin the delicate flavor of the lamb. Now go and feed your turkey vulture the rest of the bread. Can't imagine anyone likes to eat it. 
    Looks like you got yourself some very nice racks - lots of "eye".
    - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH will be OK for that little bit of bread, my friend, thanks for thinking of him.  I will take the rest out to the birds, indeed - I used to love that stuff when I was a kid, but now?  No, thanks.  It made the perfect topping, though, excellent consistency.

We are still flying high from our meal...YUM!  It was so easy, and DH is already talking about having it, again.  One other little tweak, I used TJ's whole grain mustard because that's what I had on hand.  Highly recommend.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ramping up to make this, again, for Easter dinner!  I've copied it into a Word document to print out so I'll be sure to never lose it - I can't leave this to digital chance!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, so we are both having the rack. Wish I could share that doughy bread w/ you. Not good for anything else, but crumbs for the lamb. The asparagus look terrible these days. Too skinny to bother. Haven't decided, what I will substitute them for in case I don't find any to my liking. Still looking for them. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish we could share, too!  But, ahem, I have to admit something, my friend.  I ate most of the rest in good ol' fashioned PB&J sandwiches.  I'm so ashamed. ;)

Regarding a side instead of asparagus (indeed, how awful it looks right now - where do they get that stuff and WHO would buy it?), I wilted fresh spinach, dressed it with a little butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper when I made the chops before.  It complimented the lemon juice in the lamb stuffing elegantly.  (I'd do the same thing, again, but DH asked for that vegetable pie to go with so that's what we're having - the main ingredient in that is spinach.)  Also, the rosemary/olive oil red roasted potatoes were stellar with it - highly recommended for your starch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Spinach pie and rack-o-lamb? Sounds delicious together. I make spinach often, so I need something else to go w/ the rack - to make it special. Now thinking of sugar snap peas. They are the most tender and sweetest right now. Always serve my rack w/ rosemary/garlic roasted potatoes, but I use the baby Yukon Golds.
    Hate to ask you this - hope you don't mind. Please don't call the rack "chops". Lamb chops are cooked differently. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I won't, my friend, but I do cut them into chops before I serve them...doesn't that count? ;)

Peas would be nice, but it's a shame it's not asparagus season up here right now...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, it doesn't count. Chops are cooked individually. Usually grilled or pan fried. :)

In Response to Re: Pingo's Rack-o-Lamb.:
    [QUOTE]I won't, my friend, but I do cut them into chops before I serve them...doesn't that count? ;) Peas would be nice, but it's a shame it's not asparagus season up here right now...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, good to know!  I found think stalked asparagus at S&S, but since DH wanted spinach pie with the rack, lol, I'm using it in a frittata right now.  But, if S&S gets them all from the same place (CA), you might find some decent ones in your area, too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Checked all over. The ones I found were pencil thin. I like them on the thicker side. But now, that DH wants a pork roast, I don't need them any more. :)
    I actually think the asparagus we get, comes from Peru. - P