Quick and very Easy Mu Shu Pork!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Quick and very Easy Mu Shu Pork!

I believe, I saw this recipe in Good Housekeeping some time ago. But when I wanted to use it, I couldn't find it, so I made this up from my memory. I always make changes anyway. This came out really good and was so quick and easy to do. Especially if you have a food processor to help you shred and grate the veggies. I cut the meat in half and doubled up the veggies. It will be great with just veggies as well.
    Important: It is so quick to make, you need to have everything prepared ahead of time.

Mix 1 lbs. ground pork (or use any ground meat) with 1 Tbs. dry sherry and 1 Tbs. of low sodium soy sauce. I only had sweet sherry, so I used cooking Sherry, and it was fine.
    Heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a large skillet or wok, and cook pork on high heat - stirring - until no longer pink. Maybe 4 - 5 minutes (you decide). Transfer to a large bowl.
    To the same skillet add 2 cloves crushed garlic and crushed red pepper (I used 1 teasp.) Cook for a few seconds. Then add 1/2 head of shredded cabbage, 2 carrots grated, 1 green pepper and 2 sticks of celery sliced very thinly. The original recipe also called for Jicama, which I didn't have, so I used thinly sliced radishes instead. Cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are just crisp tender, stirring on and off. You could add bean spouts if you like, but due to the recent warnings, I left them out.
    Wrap flour tortillas in paper towels and nuke them on high for maybe a minute until they are pliable and warm.
    When serving, spread Hoisin sauce on a tortilla. Add some pork mixture, fold and eat it out of hand. Make sure you supply lots of napkins.
    I made some ginger sauce to go with it: Mix 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce with a couple of Tbs. red vineager, 2 teasp. grated ginger, a Tbs. sesame oil and one or two sliced green onions.
    It was so good, I am definitely going to make it again. With a few sides (scallion ginger noodles?, spicy green beans?), it could even be a meal for company.
    Enjoy - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Quick and very Easy Mu Shu Pork!

Sounds elegant!  Thanks, Pingo - I'll definitely be making this.  As I said, it's my go-to takeout choice, and that's not only expensive, but fattening.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Pingo, you had a new dish, Peppers Wellington!  Sounds delectable, and I'll be sure to give it a try when our peppers are bigger.  Tell me more details in the Recipe section, please; I'm not used to using that type of dough.---

Kar, I just stuffed the peppers and wrapped them in the crescent dough, which is just like a buttery pie dough. I am sure you could make yours from spelt. Would be even better.
    I used a stuffing mix of 1 lbs. cooked ground beef with a diced onion and red pepper flakes, a block of cream cheese and a large handful of shredded cheese. Slit the peppers (we apparently have the long Anaheims), scooped out the membranes and seeds and stuffed them well. You can, since you are wrapping them. I had to use two crescent triangles for each pepper, patting them out to one piece then wrapping the peppers - slits down - and placing them on the baking sheets with all the folds on the bottom. Then just baked them according to the crescent instructions (375 for 15 minutes). They were so good. I served them w/ my home made salsa. Nothing more needed.
    I know you will love these. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, man alive, DH would go bananas for Pingo's Peppers Wellington, and it sounds so easy, too.  Thanks for posting these recipes that are sure to become Kargiver household favs.