Red Velvet Trifle

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from roma-ss. Show roma-ss's posts

Re: Red Velvet Trifle

sounds yummy! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Gotta say I don't get this whole red velvet thing.  It's a cocoa cake with a bottle of food coloring.  I prefer devil's food.

Kahlua Trifle

2 layers of devil's food cake

chocolate pudding

Heath Bar or Skor Toffee Bits

Kahlua

real whipped cream

Split cakes into 2 layers each.

In punch bowl, put cake, sprinkle with Kahlua, dollop on pudding, sprinkle with Heath bits, dollop on whipped cream.  Repeat until you have no room in the punch bowl or supplies run out, reserving some Heath bits to sprinkly on the last layer of whipped cream.  Now that's a trifle.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Always wanted to try the red velvet cake, but something wouldn't let me "waste" a whole bottle of red food coloring in it!  Funny the ingredients we will think nothing of using (4 - 6 eggs), and yet the idea of pouring a whole bottle of the food coloring in it, seemed too wasteful to me.  It looks delicious tho, and you're right, Jeepers, perfect for the holidays.  When I first started working a co-worker brought in the recipe for what she called, "Sex in a Bowl" - - meaning it was as good as having sex!  Was the usual choc cake, pudding, cream, heath bars, but it was the first time any of us had had it, and for the next couple of years we were all making it for our own personal holiday parties!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Caramel Apple Trifle

I made another trifle that was so yummy one guest had 6 helpings.  Yes, it was something else...

Yellow cake

slightly warmed caramel or butterscotch ice cream sauce

instant vanilla pudding

Apple pie filling

whipped cream

pecans or heath bar bits or something else for a bit of crunch. 

Make at least two layers of this in large glass or punch bowl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was just going thinking what to dessert to bring to G.T.'s for Easter.  The one you just posted sounds delicious, Hats.  Only question, "warm the caramel of butterscotch ice cream sauce slightly" -- does it then get hard or stick to your teeth consistency?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Another question:  How many cans of apple pie filling - jars of butterscotch sauce - pkgs. of vanilla pudding, did it take to fill the trifle bowl?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I used 2 cans of filling and 2 boxes of pudding, one 11.75 ounce jar of caramel topping and a standard 2 layer cake mix cake - and it was busting out of the bowl -  but of course it depends on the size of the bowl.  I have an old fashioned 'dessert set' that I used - I have two of those sets, which have a large bowl and a set of identical small dishes to serve the individual portions in.  I don't think I have ever used more than two boxes of pudding - made with the pudding directions - even when I used a punch bowl. 

Of course, as long as you put in enough whipped cream (and I only use the real thing which is probably why my desserts go over so well) everyone is going to love it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks.  I don't have a trifle bowl, but I saw them at CTS just last week.  I'll have to pick one up.  I do have a huge goblet type container, but it narrows at the top.  Tip beflore I even make it, from making other desserts using the instant vanilla pudding, I always buy the French vanilla.  It has a richer taste, just as the ice cream does.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

BTW I saw in a magazine yesterday a picture of a red velvet cake made with green food coloring instead of red.  Would be great for a St Patrick's Party or even Easter!

14. This post has been removed.