posted at 7/25/2013 6:12 PM EDT
1 cup sliced fresh rhubarbs
1/4 cup orange juice, divided - please see ETA
3 Tbs. granulated sugar
2 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
3 large eggs
2/3 cup oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teasp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbs. freshly grated orange zest (one orange)
1 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
2 teasp. baking powder
1/2 teasp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously coat a 9-inch round cake pan w/ oil.
2. Compine rhubarb, 1/4 cup orange juice and granulated sugar. Let stand and
mix occasionally, for 20 minutes. Then add strawberries to combine. Spread
the fruit mixture in the prepared pan.
3. Whisk eggs, oil, brown sugar, orange zest, vanilla and the orange juice in a
large bowl. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Gradually
stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Don ot over mix. Spoon cake
batter over the fruit mixture.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry, 40
to 50 minutes.
5. Run a knife around the cake and shake it a bit to loosen the bottom.
Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Then remove the pan and let the cake
cool to room temperature.
6. Serve with scoops of Greek vanilla yogurt, ice cream or whipped cream.
Courtesy of "Eating Well" magazine.
ETA: Should be 1/4 orange juice - delete divided.
posted at 7/25/2013 6:23 PM EDT
Sounds delicious, Pingo, and easy too.
"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life."
~ Mr. Rogers