August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

August 2011

Good morning all.  August already!  I hate to see the summer fly by so fast. 

Had a nice weekend.  Took Mom out on Sat and did all of her shopping, etc. for her and was able to spend some time with her so that was nice.

Buster seems to finally be coming out of his "fog" from the medication.  His personality seemed to be coming back yesterday.  A friend of ours wanted to "borrow" Spencer for the weekend, so we said sure.  This allowed us to give Buster some special attention, and Spencer had a blast!

Now back to the weekly grind!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2011

Good morning, Princess

I can't believe we're into August already either.  Summer always go by so fast.

Glad to hear Buster is more like himself.  That was a special treat for both the dogs to get their own individualized attention over the week-end.

How is your Mom adjusting?  It sounds as tho you're getting into a regular routine with her and I'm sure she looks forward to Saturdays.  It's not easy to be dependent on others for coming and going, especially for women who are used to taking care of themselves.  As time goes on I'm sure she'll appreciate more and more the fact that she's up here now, closer to family.

Have a good day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi TT - Mom is trying to adjust, but I know that she really isn't happy.  She did sign a year's lease at this place, so I told her we could always move her somewhere else after.  I do go up there every Saturday and try to help her out, and my brother tries to get there on Sundays so at least we can spend the weekend with her.

It's a big adjustment, as she had been in Fl for 15 years and really loved it.  It's just unfortunate her health made her have to move back.  I'm hoping after a while she will get used to it - although I don't know what's going to happen when winter comes around, lol!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

She might not have found her own little niche there yet.  All that takes time and finesse to become part of a smaller group.  How do you tactfully point out to someone how much luckier they are than one who doesn't have the finances to move into such a community, and as their health fails has to go into a nursing home.  Does the community have outdoor walking/sitting grounds that she can take advantage of?  I can understand your apprehension at how she's going to do when the winter months come.  Would it be possible then to plan an occasional overnight stay at your or your brother's?  -  Just thinkin - -  If there are certain dishes she likes to cook, perhaps ask her to make them for you - if she doesn't have the facilities there, at your house?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning and happy August! 

Pingo, I answered your fat measuring scale question in July's thread.

Prin-cal, so good to hear that Buster is adjusting well to his meds as expected.  I'm sure by next week he'll be 100% back to his regular self.  How's the leg doing?  

tt is so right about getting in the grove of a new place.  I've lived here 3 years, now, and I'm JUST starting to make a couple of good, local friends.  Before that, I felt like a fish out of water, and, actually, still kind of do even so.  I had a very well-established life where I was, and starting over in that respect was not easy even though life here is ideal.  I'm sure your mom will adjust and become as happy as she was, but it will definitely take time.  I've moved a lot and changed my whole life many times.  Getting emotionally on solid ground post-change was never easy or quick for me.

Gracie is still favoring her left leg, but it's not very noticable to someone who hasn't watched her every move for 2 months.  She can sit with both knees tucked up close to her body IF she's on a floor with friction like cement or on carpet, but if she's on the hardwood floor, her bad leg slides away from her so I know she's still weaker on that side.

Another gorgeous day.  Will try to get the chores done early and get out with Gracie to enjoy it.  Hope you all can, too!

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I wish so much that she could come to either my house or my brothers.  However, she is in a wheelchair and both of us have too many stairs, there is just no way she can come in the house.  My brother does have a patio without stairs, so he does bring her to his house often and they can sit outside, which is nice.  However, once the bad weather comes along that will be the end of that.

She does have access to outdoor areas at her community, and she does go outside a few times a day.  She is also playing bingo and going to "excercise" classes there, so that's good.  I think it will just take some time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I didn't realize she was in a wheelchair.  Was that the development that made you decide to move her closer?  If so, that in inself is a huge adjustment for her.  Is she able to move about her room(s) with a walker?

Another thought, lots of Floridians are "snowbirds", and so spend part of their year up North.  Wonder if any of her friends from Fla spend any time up here.  If so, perhaps they could have an afternoon visit with her.  It surely would boast her spirits and give her a chance to talk freely with them about the changes she is having to get used to.  -  I'll stop with my "ideas" now, you're probably thinking, "Good Lord, I wish I had never brought the subject up"!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Looks like everyone had a nice weekend.  I did too.  A little humid out there today. It seems like this summer is more humid than last.  I have had my AC on a lot.  I hope the thunderstorms hold off until I get home tonight.  Have a good day everyone!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

TT - I always welcome your advice and insight!  Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thinking of Winter and wondering  how they're doing.  G.T. is redoing his l.r., and was emailing me pics of furniture and draperies they ordered over the week-end.  He found just the formal draperies they were looking for at J.C. Penney (remember Winter got her d.r. curtains there).  Funny, I never think to go in there (we have one at Peabody), but I'm going to start giving their store a walk through.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy August everyone!  Such a wonderful month  =)

Happy to hear Buster is adjusting to his meds, Cal and that you are getting your mom into a routine.  Lucky for Spencer to have gone on an adventure, adn for Buster to have you all to himself for a bit, too. 

Puppy & I had another wonderful weekend at the lake with my parents. We took him to a dog-friendly outdoor restaurant in Wolfeboro, and he was a very good boy.  He also did great swimming with his new life jacket on - we were both out where the water is over my head!  TT and SS, I think you everytime I go there now. 

How was your time with SIL over the weekend Kar?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Looks like you all had a nice weekend. So did we. I ended up not doing the peppers last night. Forgot to take out the sausages. Instead we went to Santarpios' Pizza in Peabody (where the old Bennigan was). Excellent pizza! I don't care much for pizza and usually just have one slice to be polite, but last night I surprised myself by having 3 slices. Even DH was surprised. DH has always been Prince Pizza fan, but he decided this one was just as good if not better. And cost less. They are original from North End.
    Kar, thanks for the explanation in regard to the body fat measuring scale. Do you really see a difference in your body fat, even though the scale goes up? DH lifting weights will also add muscle and add lbs.
    Good to hear Buster is doing better. One of my girlfriends "borough" one of her friend's two poodles all the time. Some times for weeks. I have often asked her, why she doesn't get a couple of dogs herself. She and her DH like to have the freedom to travel, whenever they want, and not have to worry about a dog.
    Wonder if Winter is back from BH. She picked a great weekend to go there. Looking forward to hear her "report" and maybe see some pictures.
    Haven't heard from mm lately. She should be back from Maine. Hopefully all is well.
    Was kind of lazy over the weekend. So I am now on my 3rd load of laundry. Then off the office. It will be a busy week for me. Have 3 doc appointments. Eye doc today, dentist Wednesday and spine doc Friday. Then come my mamo and my physical later this month. 
    Can feel the humidity already. Looking forward to some good rain this afternoon.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

MMmmm.. Pingo.  We LOVE Santarpio's.  Both the original, and the Peabody one.  One of my gfs and I have been known to put away a whole pizza there between just the two of us!  Not too bad considering the boys do almost a whole pizza each.  I'm planning that as one of my "splurges" on my diet.

You do have a lot of appointments, but good to stay on top of them.had my physical this AM as well.  Happy to report that there is nothing to report!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, great news Jax loved the water with his life jacket!  It must have made the lake so much more fun for all of you.  Gracie is doing great with hers, still, too.  And we also ate at an outside cafe where she was very good.  Isn't it great to have a well-behaved dog?  They are super stars wherever they go.

Pingo, DH's target weight is 190, and he's at 200.  If he gains a pound of muscle a week but loses a pound of fat that same week, the scale won't budge.  The body fat %, though, will go down.  If on the other hand, someone weighs 300 lbs with a target of 190, he'll lose more than a lb of fat per week if he's dieting and exercising, maybe 5 lbs.  So, the net result is weigh loss no matter what...you can't put on 5 lbs of muscle per week.  And, the % body fat won't change much at all - he has to lose over 100 lbs of fat.  Losing 5 lbs of fat and gaining 1 lb of muscle in that case wouldn't change his body composition very much at all.

GL with all your appointments, Pingo - nice to get them all out of the way at once, and it's a nice day to be out and about.  Maybe you can get a nice lunch at a cafe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

It was so much fun, Kar.  DH wasn't with us, so I took video.  He was so surprised watching it last night when Jax just splashed right in to retrieve his toy! Can't wait until he sees it live and in person!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The video must be so much fun - what a great keepsake, and how cool is that that DH got to see his inaugural happy swim even if he couldn't be there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, did you watch today?  She's floating in the pond by the bridge in the park!
    Good episode, but I'm sorry to see her character written out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Just b/c she's in the pond doesn't mean she'd dead, tt...especialy in a soap opera!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You don't think?  Sure looked like her - -
    Today's episode reminded me of that show that used to be on with everyone invited to the castle on a dark and stormy night, the lights go out, and someone is found dead - who dunnit?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back door is open tonight, and I can hear crickets chirping.  I can't remember the last time I heard them, such a great song on a summer night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Did anyone watch part 2 of the reunion?  It got even nastier.  Surprised to see ads for Y&R during commercial break, newspaper headlines "Who Killed Diane Jenkins?"  Both stations must be owned by same corporation.  Tonight's offering is "Flipping Out" with Jeff Lewis.

We didn't get any rain here (knew I should have watered last night), but saw pictures of golf ball sized hail that fell in Amherst.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Golf ball sized hail?!  Yikes, what a mess that must be this morning...that's too bad.  It  must have rained here at least a little, but we could have used a lot more.

DH is finally tiring of the cleanse, but he's 2/3 done and bound and determined to not mess it up in the home stretch. 

You asked about SIL, and I forgot to say she's doing well, thank God!  We're going to their house for dinner Sunday, and then she and I are going to the ocean/beach the next Sunday by ourselves.  DH will take care of Gracie, and we'll be galavanting.  That gives me 2 more weeks to think about being "tankini ready" (although, what happened to my turkeys, Ache - I think I kept up my end of the deal).

DH will be away on business next week so no food prep, but of course I have to pick the garden - I wonder how I'll preserve everything for him.  As for me, I'm keeping things light.  My ultimate goal is to be able to zip up my wedding dress my whole life, and I'm not quite there.  It had NO wiggle room whatsoever!  The new scale hasn't come yet, but I'm eager to be able to track my progess more accurately.  This willy-nilly broken (as compared to the chiropractor's) scale is driving me nuts.

Speaking of hail, our generator is arriving tomorrow.  We've been talking about it since the ice storm, but figured no time like the present, finally.

Well, that was a bunch of random thoughts.  I wonder what we'll do today.  DH won't be home until 7 and said he wants to fast tonight.  Maybe Gracie and I will go on a day trip...hm.

Take care, everyone!

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Darn!  I missed part 2!  I was helping DH do some invoices.  I'll have to catch it later in the week, or check on demand. I don't remember watching anything last night.  Must have fallen right to sleep.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning,

Smart idea with the generator Kar.  It seems our storms are getting worse the last few years.  Happy SIL is doing well and nothing like a girls get together, how fun!  tt, I was super tired last night and fell asleep.  I didn't see the RHNY reunion, but I can watch it On Demand or I'm sure it will be played again.  The previews gave me a peek and it was as nasty as I thought it would be.  I am planning a brunch for 5 friends on Sunday, August 14 for my birthday with DD and a couple of her friends coming over in the evening.  I love entertaining so I am looking forward to it. I am off the next day, so even better. My friends wanted to take me out, but this is what I love the best.  I hope everyone stays cool and once again the threat of thunderstorms.  As long as they don't come on my commute I am happy.  I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Darn!  I missed part 2!  I was helping DH do some invoices.  I'll have to catch it later in the week, or check on demand. I don't remember watching anything last night.  Must have fallen right to sleep.
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

It went a long time - I was having a hard time staying awake - 10-11:30.  Ramona really acts crazy, and Luanne was so smug - really passive aggressive in her remarks that were always followed with a smile.  Didn't see anything about any of them not returning next season, but I would think Alex would bow out, she just doesn't fit in with either group.  Nothing was settled about Ramona's possible drinking problem, or the rumors that her husband is cheating on her.  It really was pretty much a continuation of part 1.