August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Re: August 2013

Thanks Kar. I've had a kemore for almost 20yrs, but learned on my mom's singer. I sew just about everything, clothes,  curtains, gifts and I quilt. I made a hunting jacket for my FIL for Christmas last year and DS's crib set and curtains. I bought DD's because I simply ran out of time and energy.  Unfortunately, the cost of notions and thread seems to get higher every time I go to the store,  so I don't feel like I am saving that much anymore. But I have such a huge stash of fabric and thread I really don't have to buy much for a while. But yet I came home with 5 yards of fabric today:)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Saw, American girl doll clothes are so cute!   this lady makes the most amazing...turns them into characters from non-AG books such as Anne of Green Gables and Betsy Tacy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37177124@N02/

Pinterest has lots of links for AG clothes too...

A hunting jacket sounds like serious work.

Do you Freecycle?  Oftentimes people who are cleaning out houses will be giving away fabric, thread, tons of good stuff....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Interesting post, SAW, nice to see you again.

Kargiver, how was the party?

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    SAW, nice to hear from you and congratulations on your new sewing machine.  I can truly appreciate your buy. I am a sewer too. I used to make everything from my own clothes to shirts for our sons to drapes, curtains, bedspreads etc. Started in high school (well junior high actually) making clothes not just for myself, but for my sister and mother too. If it is something I can handle w/ a sewing machine, I will do it. Lately not so much, b/c of arthritis in my hands and fingers. But I still do repairs, shortening of pants, taking in or out pants that doesn't fit any longer. I never understood anyone, who says they can sew a stray button. IMO, they never really tried.
    I think you are into something to make doll clothing for AGs. Their outfits are more expensive than kids stuff. Wishing you best of luck in your new endeavor. Go for it!
    tt, good luck w/ your podiatrist appointment this morning. Hope he will tell you not to worry.
    Last night's get-together went well. Except for for one thing. Our friend, for whom I had the "party", told me he never eats lamb. Oh my! But he did eat it and LOVED it. I introduced him to something new. Was just afraid to try it. Funny thing. I had made individual salads ahead of time and put them in the refrigerator, so they would stay nice and crisp. I totally forgot about them. My friend, who saw me making them asked after the fact, "What happened to the salads?" DUH!
    He is going in for two knee replacements next week. He had one a couple of years ago, but the "whatever" they put in there had deteriorated, so the good doc will replace that part in that knee and then do the other. Will be a long recovery.
    Hanging low today. Pretty tired from yesterday. But I do have to go to the office later. PR taxes are due this week.
    Have a good day everyone. Winter must be back by now. Hope she will check in and tell us she had a great week.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning friends. I haven't gotten all caught up yet. We had a great time, easy driving there, but Satuday it took us forever to get from Williamsburg to NJ. Twice as long as it should have. We stay in time share so I was able to do most of the laundry there, so yesterday did a couple of loads and I am almost caught up.

DS LOVED Busch Gardens and Water Country. We took a night tour of the monuments in DC and DS loved it, much more then the one we took during the day.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    Welcome home. We missed you here, but glad to hear you had a great time. Your night tour seems lovely. Something, I would like to do. Did you get to visit the museums, you planned to visit? Hope to hear a lot more.
    Nice you were able to do laundry before you got home. Helps a lot w/ the home coming.
    I am sure you must be at work. Just try to get through the day. It WILL be over, before you know. LOL

- Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We got to the Air and Space Museum and the American History Museum. Tuesday our last thing was the Spy Museum, DS LOVED that. I am at work today and came back too 153 emails, most junk, which I shouldn't have becuase of spam filter, but it's here.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome home, Winter!  So happy to hear how much fun you all had at so many great attractions.

I haven't caught up yet, either - this morning I had my chiropractic appointment and TJ's trip to prepare for my parents' visit starting Wednesday.  Came home, put groceries away, made a boring lunch of egg salad, set Gracie up in the yard on a 20' leash.  Keep checking out the window to make sure she's not tangled, risking knee issues.

tt, the party was so much fun, thanks!  The cheesecake was devoured so quickly I couldn't get a photo.  I ate a day's worth of yummy calories in one evening...the pulled pork being my favorite.  The entire weekend was taken with a fun visit from the in-laws; they left at 4 yestereday.  FIL asked for another cheesecake, half kiddingly.  Um, maybe next time. 

Yes, Pingo, the fact that his blood relatives conspire to have BIL-free family events does say a lot, doesn't it.

SAW, wow, you are a real seamstress, not just pant hemmer, lol.  Enjoy the new machine and celebratory fabric!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, where are you?

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi, just got back in from the podiatrist.  Of course, the foot  has been fine all week-end and wasn't even red so she could see it.  No diagosis - didn't sound like gout, more something topical, I had several suggestions, any one of which she said could have caused it.  She put an insert under the tongue of the shoe to make my foot fit tighter (lighter weight peds in the summer than heavy socks I had been wearing in the winter) and keep my foot from slipping around at all.  Try and see.

Winter, so glad to have you back.  I missed your early morning "Good morning" days.  Sounds as tho your son had a great time, and if the kids have a good time then the parents have a good time, I think.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad the party went off well, Kargiver.  I know what you mean about the sweets - now that I have a no gout diagnosis - no need to deprive myself of my sweets!  Think I'll make a new batch of scones for tomorrow's breakfast.  No idea what I'm having for supper, had a piece of lasagna for lunch.  Could go for a hamburger, but it's frozen solid.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news, tt - how would you resist all the goodies you bake for everyone yourself?  Impossible.  So glad it's not gout.  It's all better, now?

You could thaw a hamburger in cold water - wouldn't take long if in individual bag.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spied a container with some of the brown rice etc. from Sat's meal.  Just enough for me for supper I think.  Will reheat that.  Really have to go grocery shopping.  Refrigerator is empty of all salad mixings and freezer is emptying out too.  Can't do it tomorrow, maybe Weds.  I'm not a big meat eater and so that really cuts down the variety I can put together that is filling with non meat menus.  How much pasta can one person eat?  Speaking of which.  Not for the ears of those of you who are purists and make their mac and cheese from scratch - tried the Betty Crocker pkg mac and cheese and the cooking is entirely different from others.  I liked it.  Have  had it twice now.

ERA:  Yummy yum!  Heated the rice concoction together with the chicken tenders, then generously sprinkled the shredded Mexican cheese (yes, I'm still trying to get rid of the rest of that!) over it, covered, and let it melt.   Soo good with a nice cold beer.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, glad your foot is ok. I think I broke a toe in DC. Nothing can be done, so I taped it up all week. Seems to be a little better. I'm heading home. 

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I had TJ's mac and cheese (frozen) today for lunch - I'd definitely try one you recommend.  I like TJ's, though, too - very creamy, plenty of cheese sauce.

ouch, Winter, walking and walking on a broken toe?  Yikes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

tt, I had TJ's mac and cheese (frozen) today for lunch - I'd definitely try one you recommend.  I like TJ's, though, too - very creamy, plenty of cheese sauce.

ouch, Winter, walking and walking on a broken toe?  Yikes.

You'll think you are reading the instructions incorrectly -

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Glad for you, tt, that your podiatry visit went well, and that it was/is not Gout. Hope your insert can help you, so this doesn't happen again.
    Dinner tonight will be leftovers from yesterday. I was overextending my expectations of what 4 people could eat, after they had plenty of appetizers first.
    Nice day out. I went home for a couple of hours this afternoon. Was supposed to help DH with a project, but he called he wouldn't be here until 5. So I went home, put in some laundry and sat on my deck and read for a bit. Now back at work.
    Have a good evening everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi Everyone

TT - glad your foot is okay, hope it doesn't hurt anymore.  Just an FYI my SIL had bunion surgery on both feet and they came out beautiful!

Kar - glad your party turned out well.   As you know, I don't like sweets, however, cheesecake is the only one I kind of like!

Winter - glad to have you back and that you had a good time.  Such great memories for DS.

I can't post at work.  We use IE at work and just no luck.  I use Firefox at home and no problem, however, we have to use IE at work.  Bummer.

Still feeling okay, but of course my doc called and said I am very anemic.  I already had 5 iron infusions and they just aren't "sticking."  So now I have to go back to the hemotologist.  I can't wait for a week that I don't have a drs appt!

Glad to be home with my Spence . . oh, and DH too, lol!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to see a post from you, Princess.  What a trial you're having.  Boston Hospital doctors?  Seems as tho one of them, being the top in this part of the country, could come up with a solution.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Just got back from the garden,  it is attack of the giant zucchini!  Found 1 cuke, a couple of hot peppers and a single serving of beans. Still no red tomatoes but LOTS of green ones. 

Kar, what do you do for powdery mildew one squash? 

Pingo, I've been sewing since grade school and still have my first place ribbon from 4H I'm guessing from 2nd grade.

Hats, You'd be surprised at how easy the hunting jacket was. The hardest part is the double fleece, my FIL suffers from arthritis and likes to be warm. I haven't tried free cycle for fabric yet, I didn't think of it!

I must get back to shredding my zucchini! 

Saw :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, nice to have unexpected leftovers so no cooking.  Enjoy!  

Tt, what do you mean about the instructions?  

Princess, 5 iron infusions and still anemic?  I can't imagine what you go through.  You are a trouper...sorry you have to be.  Good you are home.  Have DH grill you a nice, juicy 16 oz steak. ;)  I had a craving last night and grilled a couple of steaks right before bed.  Asked DH if he wanted one and he said no until he caught a whiff of mine, lol.

Still finding out just how much I accomodated the other stove, forgetting I can use multiple burners at once and then remembering with glee.  Something about making do and limping along for a few years before getting a good replacement that makes it that much sweeter when it comes.  We ordered the hood tax free yesterday that DH will install this Fall.  Looking forward to having real ventilation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good evening all, Bet you all thought I had left the country!!   Nope just still recovering from that fall in May.  Think I might have bruised other parts of my body, the pain is the pits....I dont take pain pills cause I'm afraid with no pain, I might over extend myself and then I'll really be in trouble.  Princess Cal:  Yrs ago a friend of mine had bunions removed on both feet, she went shoe happy, she had worn real ugly shoes for so many years.  Now her feet are always in fashion.  All this talk about Mac & Cheese (my all time favorite)is making my mouth water, I remember going in town with my Mom and having dinner at  Waldorfs ,Mac & Cheese 35  DD  cents, and that came with rolls and a glass of milk!

DD took me to the Super Used Bookstore in Plymouth today, they are closing 8/31, all books are 50% off!!  Store has only been there 10 mos...not doing good, will open another one in Wilmington,Ma.   Too far for me.

Saw a sign on Sat. that said, Old age is not for sissies!!  Ain't that the truth!! Promise to drop in more often, think of you all a lot.  Take care & Keep Smiling, ss

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

• "kargiver
    • First: 10/17/2005
    • Last: 8/12/2013

Tt, what do you mean about the instructions?  "

You throw everything in the pot all together.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to see you, SS!!  So sorry your fall wrecked your summer with pain.  You may know this, but going totally without any pain management can actually cause your injury to last longer; pain causes cortisol to be released which hampers healing.  But, I understand being afraid of overdoing due to feeling better, too.  Hard to know what's best.  Regardless, I hope the worst of it is far behind you.

Mac and cheese, extra cheesy is one of my favorites, too, and I just replenished my supply from TJ's this morning.  Makes a fabulous quick and easy lunch.  Although, come this Fall, I won't be able to say quick anymore - will have to prepare it in the toaster oven.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

• "kargiver
    • First: 10/17/2005
    • Last: 8/12/2013

Tt, what do you mean about the instructions?  "

You throw everything in the pot all together.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Sounds quick and easy, right up my lunch for myself alley.