August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August 2013

Princess, I don't know, where you live, but there are some mighty fine plastic surgeons at Beverly Hospital. Two of them are a very old friend of ours and his DIL. They share a practice and are well known on the North Shore. Hands are her specialty. I won't mention any names here, but if you ask for a doc and his DIL, everyone will know, who you mean. Both DH and I have been their patients, and I have only good things to say about both them. Hope your DH gets his range of motion back.
    So are you still hospitalized? You said, they found some new meds. Hope they will make you feel better.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh Lord, senior moment happening here.  Never mind.  Thanks for reminding me, TT Apologies, tulips.  hope we hear from you soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh wow, Princess.  Wishing both you and DH speedy recoveries.  Glad to hear Spencer is good.  I'm sure he helps keep both of your spirits up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    How is your visit going, Kar? And especially how is Gracie doing? Did you see the Vet yet? How is the stove? You must have cooked up a storm for your aunt and uncle.
    And tt, have you decided to retire from the forums? Missing your posts. Agree, not much have been going on lately. We are all busy w/ our doings.
    Going to a bridal shower this coming weekend. The one I mentioned a month or so ago. This is a second wedding, and we gave the bride generous gifts for the first. Still the bride have a register a mile long, and it is not cheap.
    My DIL saved me, by suggesting a couple of placemats, similar to the ones I make for her table runner. So I made a breakfast basket with two placemats. Bought two napkins matching the colors on the placemats, a pound of DD's coffee, a box of TJ's pancake mix and a bottle of TJ's Maple syrup plus a jar of home made Blueberry jam. I didn't wanted to go in the first place, but the brides mother will never talk to me again, if I don't attend.
    Such a nice cool day. This is my kind of weather. Hope you all have a good day.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, not retiring, just stepping back a bit til things pick up.

What a great idea for a gift, Pingo.  She'll really appreciate the thoughtfulness put into it.

Cat Lady emailed and is coming up this afternoon for tea.  We  have never actually met, save for quite a few years ago when she and her husband came up looking for their cat.  I wouldn't know her if I passed her on the street.  I had invited  her and her nieces she was taking care of while their father was having lung surgery, up one day last week, thought the kids would enjoy the toyroom, some things different to play with.  Didn't pan out, so I was glad when she suggested coming up this afternoon.  And imagine - I don't have to do any baking, she's bringing the blueberry coffee cake!

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Aunt and Uncle left this morning after a spectacular time, and, yes, a serious break in of the new stove.  LOVE IT. DH is still on cleanse and hasn't cheated.

Haven't caught up much yet, but did catch your post, Princess - so sorry you've been down sick and poor DH!!  Hope the new med does the trick and he gets great care and a full recovery.

Gracie has seen the doctor and has her staples out.  The surgery recovery is going great, but that rash is a mess.  Doc said hydrocortizone for 2 weeks and no licking - so the cone is on more than it was right after surgery!  But, she's doing relatively well.  We have a follow up appt for the 14th re the rash.  If it's still messed up, he'll give her a cortizone shot; he's holding off because it will hinder the knee's healing.

Now, on to my in-laws' visit this weekend, then my folks' visit the week after.  need to clean out the fridge and generally clean the house today.

Will catch up this afternoon - have been thinking of you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Thanks for the recommendations for MDs.   I will keep them otithe liststill am still at the hospital, been here for a week but hope to be home tomorrow. 

So sad about Tulips DH. Hopefully she'll be up for posting spoon so we can show her our support. 

Have a great day everyone. So happy to be back on board with you all!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Glad to hear you approve of my shower gift, tt. I am not sure, how it will go with the bride. She is all into money, if you know, what I mean. I just didn't want to shell out a lot of $$$ this time. Sadly, I don't think this marriage is going to last much longer than the first. I am bringing a gift, and that is it. Hope your tea party goes well, tt. Making a new friend is always nice. I am sure you will be busy exchanging Harry Stories. Maybe you can post some of them here.
    Princess, glad to hear you are able to go home tmw. That means, you are doing better. Please, don't feel, I am pushing my friend docs on you. They are truly the best IMO. We are lucky to know them. I just meant it as an option for you.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I must have missed something, tt.  I thought you and Cat Lady are already friends?  Doesn't matter - either way it is nice to have a visitor for tea. 

Pingo, I agree that your gift is very nice, and quite appropriate. 

Good news for Gracie.  I suppose it is better to be dealing with a rash than with surgery complications.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We have been telephone friends for a couple of years,  talking on the phone and now by emails almost daily.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, it sounds like you are running a hotel, just like do sometimes. Family or not it - is still exhausting, when you get out of your daily rhythm.
    Great DH is keeping his cleansing diet. When are you starting yours?
    Sorry to hear, Gracie's rash has not improved. Could she be allergic to something in her new bed? You never know, what they stuff inside. Could even be there are some mites in there, that bite her. Try to switch back to her old one, and put the new one away for a few days. 
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, all I want to do is sleep today and while I haven't been napping, I AM still in my pjs, lol.  Pathetic!  

Thanks re the bed.  You're right, you never know.  However, she's never actually touched any of it - it's covered with her old, heavy wool blanket as a "sheet."  (It's a quarter sized rash on the inside of her leg that doesn't actually tough anything other than her own fur on her side.)

I have no gumption whatsoever...  Heated up leftover pizza for lunch...yes, on the stove. :)

ETA: I have finally decided to skip Purification this year.  I just don't WANT to, and it's a long three weeks to suffer through if you aren't really into it.  DH is doing great and just as happy either way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice visit this afternoon.  I like her a lot, but then, I already knew that.  She has a great sense of humor, so we had a lot of laughs.  A lot of "cat talk", yes, but that leads to other subjects.  The blueberry coffee cake she made was delicious.  Have a piece for tomorrow's breakfast.

Had gone to S&S for some litter, wanted to get the box changed before tomorrow's trash pick up, and while I was there picked up a couple of their stuffed cabbage rolls.  Just heated one up for supper.  Nice change from the usual meal.  Also got their peach pie and some vanilla ice cream.  Have frozen half of it for Sat, the rest, well, I dug into a piece even before Cat Lady came up, and it was every bit as good as I'd been thinking it would be.

Nice you have a couple of days between visits, Kargiver.  Summer is over all too soon tho, and not so much visiting during the winter months.  Enjoy.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar - I think if your body is telling you not to do it, you are wise to listen. 

Pingo, the gift sounds so special!  If she can't appreciate something you actually made for her, well, I once had a friend who would have said - blank her and the horse she rode in on! 

TT - I hope the meeting with Cat lover goes well!  Let us know all about it. 

If you don't post, we won't so please keep posting.  I have been flat out now since early July with work and family and volunteer stuff going on.  I am having a fab time but sometimes I can't post - but I enjoy reading.  I have put 1500 miles on my car in the past 3 weeks, driving to events all over New England; it's summer!  Taking advantage while I am still young enough to do new things but old enough to appreciate that the future isn't unlimited as it seemed to be 40 years ago!  I just got an invitation for another road trip on Friday and I am thinking seriously about whether I should go or take the day off to do laundry.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I did post about the tea party, Hats, it's the post right above yours!

As for your choice of going where invited or doing laundry - - take my advice and go while you can.  There's always going to be laundry to do, but for one reason or another you may not always be able to pick up and "go" when invited - or there may come a time when you are not invited!

P.S.  Have to add about my hare who is coming surprisingly close to the house tonight.  Eating his way down the middle of the back lawn.  Every once in a while that wily bluejay calls out, "Cat! Cat!" - The birds all scatter leaving the birdfeeder open for him!  Quite a smart fellow he is.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny, tt, the birds here squawk, "DOG, DOG!!" not realizing she can't go far, lol.  The robins do not seem afraid, but the finches do.  I got buzzed by a humming bird the other day...they are totally fearless - probably know they are quicker than we are!

Gracie's rash is far better tonight.

hats, I agree with tt - GO!!!  You can scrounge enough laundry to get by. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, your post had not shown up for me when I posted...a BDC glitch I suspect.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Wow, you are an early bird, Hats. Up doing laundry, so you can go away? If not, I hope you take the opportunity to go away and leave the laundry for some other time.
    Kar, have you tried Tea Tree Oil on Gracie's red patch? It takes care of everything. Mix a few drops in a bit of water and go over the area with a cotton ball a few time a day. You can get it at TJ's.
    Cool but muggy day. Had to start the A/C this morning. Just for a few hours until I leave.
    Busy weekend ahead of me. Bridal Shower on Saturday, then company Sunday. Hope the weather stays, so we can spend time outside and use the grill. Will have to have some back up menu though, as the weather is not predictable. Was thinking of rack of lamb. I have never put it on the grill before, so that will be an experiment. That or maybe a marinated flank steak. Any tips?
    Ready to go to the office. Have a good day everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Delicious breakfast of the 2nd piece of blueberry coffee cake Cat Lady had brought up for me, crisp bacon, and hot, hot coffee.  Perfect way to start the day.

Was glad to see some rain when I got up, but the sun is fast coming through now.  Have to stay in today and get something done for someone that I promised at least a week ago.  If it were raining, I wouldn't feel deprived not being able to run out.  As it is now, I'm procrastinating even getting dressed.  Want to throw the new sheets I bought the other day in the washer and get them on the bed today too.  Love the color (seafoam).  Wanting to incorporate it into other parts of my bedroom now - which is blue - but I think the two shades are somewhat complimentary to each other, as some blues and greens are.

Harry's been fed and then took off without even a backward glance.  Didn't see him cross the street (I always watch to see that he gets across safely), and think he went down through the backyards to cross at a place further down, over to Cat Lady's.  - Speaking of which, funny with Cheerio yesterday, CL is such a cat lover, and Cheerio all but snubbed her.  She sat on the kitchen floor with her back to us, and her ears back - I'm wondering if it was the scent of another cat from CL's clothing.  Usually she loves company verges on being a complete pest.

OK, 9:00, and I'm going to get moving.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

great idea, Pingo; I'll mix a few drops of tea tree in with the coconut oil I've been using (we have a bottle on hand).  I tend to avoid saying the alternative medicine things I do here because it gets a bunch of articles saying how dangerous/dumb my idea is if you get my drift.  But, since you mentioned it, why not.  I started feeding her and applying coconut oil for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties (internal and external), much like tea tree (topical only for the tea tree, though).  It seemed to work as a soothing salve right away, and it does look better this morning than it has so far.  And, as a bonus, she lapped up the coconut oil like it were liver...dog candy, lol.

You can do rack of lamb on the grill if you can use indirect heat so it approximates the oven environment.  Have you done flank steak before?  Even marinated it can be very tough.  High direct heat for a short time served on the rare side makes it pretty tender if it's marinated, too.  Of course, it must be cut on the bias, against the meat grain, when served.

busy here today, too.  SIL's party is tomorrow, I've got to make the cheesecake today she asked for.  And, the in-laws are coming here after for overnight.

ETA:  tt, posting at the same time - I love blue and green in the bedroom, very soothing.  Our bedroom walls are a light olive/sage.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo, what about a london broil?  Goes great on the grill, or if you had to toss it under the broiler bc of weather you could?  Not too time consuming either.  As for marinade, I usually go with the classics - either Wishbone Italian Dressing or ketchup/coke/brown sugar/garlic.  Not super fancy, I know, but either tastes good, IMO.

I'm so happy you and Cat Lady had a nice visit, tt.  And seafom and blue does seem soothing.  Very oceanlike.  Maybe you should decorate a la Rockport with a lighthouse or sanddollars?  Could be like living summer all year round!

Hats - GO on the road trip!!  Laundry can always be done later.  Ever notice how if you push the laundry aside a bit it forces you out of your usual clothes to wear soemthing different that you dont just grab and put on all the time?  Or is that just me? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure, but I think London broil and flank steak are the same cut of meat.  

Love the ocean theme idea for the blue-green bedroom, what could be more tranquil?

Yup, I definitely can find clothes I don't reach for very often when the laundry isn't done!  

Added the tea tree oil to the coconut oil, hydrocortisone mix.  I've increased her zinc up to the largest safe dose - excellent for skin issues. She doesn't seem to mind it.  Have also increased her Longevity (www.springtimeinc.com) supplement - can be doubled safely.  And, am giving her doggie probiotics - good for immune system bolstering and is anti-yeast.  If all this doesn't cure that little rash we'll keep our Wednesday appointment with her regular vet and surgeon; he is at her office on most Wednesdays.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the grilling tips November and Kargiver. I am not a grilling person. DH can do corn, and our TX son is the one to go to for grilling. He intimidates me, with what he does on the grill. And his smoker as well. Grilled oysters anyone? I wouldn't dare.
    Maybe I should stick to what I know. Meaning, I should cook inside and serve outside or inside dependent on the weather.
    Just made the steeping for a Ginger Ice Cream. Our friend's favorite. Homemade ice cream is always a hit. Good and low calorie. Will serve that w/ fresh raspberries.
    tt, so glad you made a new friend w/ the cat lady. Wish you and I could meet sometimes. I know, you are right "next door". I would bring the cake and you could serve me tea. Or the other way around.

ETA: TX son just called. Your roasted R-o-L is the best ever. Go with that. Why do you want to challenge that putting it on the grill? Oh well, guess that is my answer.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Grilling takes practice as does cooking on the stove or in the oven.  Lamb is too expensive, imo, to start out with.  Flank steak, no problem - learn on that, it's one of the cheapest cuts of meat out there.  However, the two would be done very differently.  Indirect heat (lamb) just means turn on one side of the grill, place lamb on the other side - makes it more like an oven than a grill.  All that being said, I agree strongly with TXDS, why do that when you can do it the way you know how to make it perfectly already?

tt, yes, very cool to actually connect in a closer way with Cat Lady friend.  

Speaking of which, my town walking friend who works nights is switching to days in 3 weeks so we'll be able to get together more often. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just finished baking a cheesecake for SIL's party.  Cooling in oven with door open; hoping for a crack free, picture perfect cake.  Not sure the oven temp is spot on since I didn't get a thermometer...guess we'll find out. :)  Used our blackberries to make a sauce.  

So much to clean, so much to do before more overnight guests!