August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: August 2013

I'm way past wearing clothes on the bottom of the stack and am at wearing clothes again even though they were not washed...no food for dinner tonight or lunches tomorrow...nothing in the freezer....no propane to cook out on....It's rock bottom here so I have to take tomorrow to catch up because I have a road trip planned for Sat. already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Haha Hats.  Now THAT is a different story!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'll bet there's something to eat in your house, Hats.  I just opened a can of tuna I had put in the fridge to chill, added chopped celery and Miracle Whip, and had it on a bed of chopped lettuce and pickles drizzled with Ken's Italian dressing.

Finished my project for the day and have put in a call/left a message, to be sure it's done the way they wanted.  Tomorrow here will be making ahead of time the brown rice/mushroom dish and sauteeing some chicken tenders to go with, both to have for Saturday's lunch.  I don't usually make it ahead of time, but after walking around checking out kitchen sets, I know I'm not going to want to be chopping, sauteeing, and putting together a meal for us.  Also have to make a batch of scones to go with.  Luckily I picked up 2 of those halves of peach pie, and have the second half safely frozen!  That will be for dessert.  Newton DIL might come down Sunday, so that will be another day of planned meals - have a lot of the lasagna I made frozen and will probably reheat that and come up with a pudding or cake dessert.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad, hats, you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel - we've all been there!

tt, that make ahead dinner is right up our alley, yummy.  We are on a big mushroom kick right now.  And, if I don't make meals ahead of company I can't really focus on the conversation - I'm not much of a multi-tasker.  Sounds like a busy, fun weekend of visiting planned.

The cheesecake is setting up nicely, and if it cracks we won't know - I buried it under a very thick, blackberry glaze...about 1/2" over the whole top.  hoping I used enough sugar and cooked it long enough that it will stay put when we unmold and cut the cheesecake.  But, if it drips I'll pretend it was meant to do that. ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Very clever design (or cover up whichever it may turn out to be!)  Kargiver!

I just got a return call to my inquiry if I had done the "project" correctly, and yes, indeed, it is even above and beyond.  More in fact, that they hadn't thought of, so if I could add more along that line, even better.  Had put everything away (I'm a neat freak), so now will pull the stuff out again and peruse through for more.  Might as well get to it tonight.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And, tt, as you know, we we are all so curius here. What exactly is this project? Please don't keep us in suspense.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - looks like it's really set nicely, now, so we'll never know.  :)  

Made the dessert today thinking it's Friday, and DH saw it and asked why I made "early" - yay, so happy to know I have another day.

Yes, I fear I missed an earlier explanation of said "project."  I'm embarrased to ask given my skim reading history!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, we ended up with English muffins (there was an emergency package in the freezer.) I gave them a choice of toasted or pizza, they chose toast; added honeydew and blueberries and cocoa. DD had a tough, tough day, so she needed the comfort.  I had a conference call, so I had the cocoa during it and am done for the night, except for water  I'm sure that I will fall asleep as soon as I finish typing up my notes and start reading.

Pingo, tuna is indeed my go to emergency summer dinner, but my lunch the last two days has been tuna salad left over from last week plus chopped green olives, pickle relish, chopped tomato and lots of black pepper.  I had chicken salad on Monday, so I need to lay off that mayo (don't tell them about the Greek yogurt trick.  My sister was here last weekend and she thought the tuna was delicious - was so happy to hear about the yogurt.)

I too am curious about the TT project but afraid to ask.

I think that cheesecake sounds like heaven Kar and would gladly relieve you of some....if I could.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

drizzling here...

Gracie's rash is still improving.  Maybe we won't need to keep our appt next Wednesday.  That would be great; my parents arrive that day.

Hats, I'd gladly share the cheesecake with you and everyone else here, too, if I could - would make another for the party.  I'd like to break into it myself, but it would be a little hard to disguise my transgression even with thick sauce. ;)

Long to-do list since DH reminded me that SIL also wanted me to make a crudedite platter with hummus.  Last year the party was later so we had all the veggies from the garden. This year, S&S. Plus, still cleaning for in-laws to stay overnight.

Happy Friday, everyone!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Drizzling lightly here too, and cooler air coming in this window anyway.  Muggies all night.  Love a rainy day, love a rainy day.

Well,you're in for sticker shock when you check out the prices of veggies from a supermarket, Kargiver.  Ridiculous, and it adds up so fast.  You'll be all the more appeciative of the hours you and DH spend planting, weeding, and harvesting, when you get to the checkout.

I'm hampered a bit this morning by a bunion I've developed.  Ached all night long and is extremely painful this morning.  My mother had them, and always said hers were caused by too short shoes when she was a kid.  That certainly isn't my case, and my SAS shoes are wide also, so that's not a problem.  Read that sometimes a sac with fluid develops, and since I have the hip bursitis with the bursa sac a problem, thinking that is probably the case here also.  Putting a call into the foot doctor for an appt., but in the meantime today will soak in warm water and use that miracle drug (for me when I take it) ibuprofen.  All I need is to be limping around tomorrow in front of the boys.  They don't have much compassion for my diminished walking capabilities, as it is.  All I need to do is add another dimension and I'm afraid I'll be permanently sidelined by them.

The "project", I can't talk about on the boards.  No big deal really, just CIA stuff, you know!  haha

OK, hobbling out to the kitchen to make breakfast and sit with my foot in a basin of warm water while I eat.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lol, tt, I'm dreading having to purchase a platter's worth of veggies, for sure - you are so right, we relish the fruit of DH's hobby, and it saves on therapy bills, too. ;)

So sorry about your bunion!  Sounds like you might be describing a cyst.  I have two, one on the top of my foot and the other on my scalp - they would be painful if under pressure like against a shoe.  Saw on The Doctors that they need to remove the sac itself, not just drain it, so it can't fill up with fluid, again.  They actually showed the procedure on the show; looked like a balloon being pulled out of the slit.  I wonder if they could do that for you; the relief was immediate and just a little cut to heal.

I can't imagine anyone would sideline you for that!  ???  Sad if true, very sad.  Wait 'til they develop life's inevitable issues themselves; none of us are immune.

Off I go, "bright" and early.  Well, maybe one more cuppa first...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Oh my, so secretive, tt. Wish you hadn't told us about it. Of course, now we are all dying to know, what this is all about. Such a tease you are.
    Kar, a crudites plate  - not from your garden? How does she dare to ask - LOL. I agree w/ tt. You will be in for a sticker chock. Glad to hear Gracie's patch is doing better.
    Hats, once in a Blue Moon, I do clean out my refrigerator, freezer and cabinet shelves purposely to get rid of old stuff. I have had cans exploding in my pantry, because they were just too old. You know, you see those sales, 2 for one, and you never use the second one. That's me. Thanks for reminding me. It is definitely time for me to do it again. Of course, I always have the can of tuna, I use to crush my garlic cloves with. LOL
    Princess, how are you doing? Still at the hospital? And how is DH's arm?
    Busy weekend coming up. Bridal shower Saturday and company Sunday. The following week is just as busy. A baby shower and hopefully DS is coming back from Pittsburgh.
    Have a lot of errands to do today. Shopping for company. Hope I can find a nice rack at Costco.
    Have a good  day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, re bunions. I read, it is genetics. My mother had them, and I have one. It has nothing to do with the shoes, you wear. Mine doesn't really bother me, unless I wear too tight shoes. But they can be very painful. SAS shoes are wonderful, if you have already developed one. They are so soft and stretchy. Hope you get relief.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Called to make appt. with podiatrist, since she closes at noon today, couldn't fit me in and set up an appt. Monday.  She suggested it might be gout since it was so painful and that I go to the E.R.  No thank you.  If it were so bad I couldn't stand it I would go to my p.c. before running to the E.R. and what they charge for a visit.  This isn't something that suddenly came on, I've been kind of watching it, tho it wasn't painful to begin with.  Googled what to do if it was gout and elminating alcohol and sweet treats are on the list!  Since I just had a complete bloodwork and all it entails done recently, and nothing showed up, doubt it's that.  Yes, Pingo, I feel it's hereditary bunions too.  My mother suffered with terribly painful ones and so was always so careful with my shoes, that they were a proper fit and of good quality.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had a great aunt who had her shoes hand made to accomdate her bunions.  That was before SAS.  I have them too and go the SAS route but they are so ugly!  They are getting a little better, but, the prettier ones are not always as comfortable and at 100$+ per pair, it does not encourage experimentation. 

TT, if the Ibuprofen holds you for the weekend, of course you would go that route.  But, I am not sure that your "complete'  blood work would have included the test for the level of the acid that indicates gout, since that is something that comes on suddenly and strongly;  something to ask about on Monday.  There are so many blood tests that require a certain amount of blood and for the blood to be drawn into a vial treated with the proper chemicals that 'complete' is a total misnomer. 

It should be called something like a 'wide spectrum' screen instead.  For example, my 'complete' blood workup (three vials taken) did not include thyroid testing; a sharp eyed DR noticed something fishy and it was back to the lab for three more vials!  Turns out that a thyroid workup requres three separate tests.  Who knew?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am so sorry you are in such pain. I am suffering too from them, so I am really anxious what the podiatrist have to say. Hope you will inform us here.
    I learned it is a genetic thing, and to go through the surgery involved, is not in my desire. So, so painful and it doesn't always work. Hope for you, that it will go away, as mine usually do.
    Oh, do we suffer together!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, went and googled Gout and the diagnostic test is not a blood test!  Instead, they sample the joint fluid.  The treatment is NSAIDS (which includes Ibuprofen,) then steroids, and finally specifics agains purines, so whatever it is, you are doing the right thing.  Well, except for the little detail that you are not supposed to take NSAIDS because of your creatinine levels.  Ya can't win....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I had a urinalysis along with the bloodwork, since I have kidney problems, and think some level in one of the two tests would have been off.  They weren't.  Anyway, as you say, Hats, I'm following the right route for the week-end.  Not concerned about that, even tho podiatrist's office certainly tried to steer me in that direction!  It actually is less painful now (thanks to the ib, no doubt), and I'm going along with my chores for today.  Already gave a heads up to G.T., no comments on my hobbling around tomorrow, if I am.

I can top you with the # of vials of blood drawn, Hats (haha).  Either 4 or 5 this last time, he checks off the kitchen sink when I have it done.  No wonder I head for Artie's and their breakfast muchacho or whatever it's called!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just got back from brunch out (I know, a travesty given the new stove, but what can I say, I like a break now and again even still!) and, yes, a big $$$ trip to Stop&Shop.  SIL assumed we had veggies from the garden, and we didn't have the heart to not bring the platter - they go all out.

good news - Gracie's rash isn't just better, it's GONE!  What I thought was still a rash was really just dead skin that had crusted over where the rash had been.  I thought she had sneaked a lick while her cone was off to have a drink, and when I washed it with the intent of reapplying the coconut, tea tree, hydrocortisone concoction, the "rash" washed right off!

tt, too bad you couldn't wash off that bunion!  

Back to work - I have to burn off Eggs Benedict. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Scones are in the oven.  Emailed G.T. to see if he preferred cranraisin or blueberry, or blueberry muffins and he said, why not mix the two, cranraisin and blueberry.  Yuck, can you imagine?  I said no thank you, I'll stick with my regular cranraisin.

Pouring, really hard here.  Washed my new sheets and almost put them in the bag to bring them back to BB&B.  Wrinkled, OMG.  What a mess.  Said percale, 400 thread.  If I'd had another set ready to put on I'd have re bagged them.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ew, I'm with you, tt, blueberry mixed with cranraisin?!  A taste and texture disaster imo.

I've never once thought about wrinkled sheets - I wonder if our guests have been appalled?  We get 100% cotton so they are always a mess, lol.  Maybe they have a higher cotton content, tt?  

The hummus is done and very tasty if I do say so.  Now, to wash the dishes and chop veggies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought percale was supposed to be the deluxe of sheets.  My other sets which were far less expensive, don't wrinkle like this.  You wouldn't want to leave the pillows with their cases showing on top of the comforter.

Not my day.  Scones are sort of flat floppy  looking things.  Used new measuring cups and by the line on the cup, I thought I wasn't supposed to fill it all the way to the top.  Plus then it was hard to handle to do any kneading at all.  Sauteeing chicken tenders now - let's see how I can mess those up?!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Isn't amazing and sad how often new is not as good as old?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I never paid $60 for sheets before and expected these to feel and look as soft and smooth as the sample one did.  Maybe I'm really behind times and that's what sheets cost these days.  Usually get mine (or last time I bought them) at Tilton and I know they weren't anywhere near that.

ETA:  Given that mine are only "Full" size.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think percale means a blend of cotton and polyester, the polyester being what makes them easy care, wrinkle free.  The higher the cotton content, the more they wrinkle.