August Chats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

August Chats!

Happy August everyone!
    Hard to believe we are already out of July. Most of the summer passed by us without having any. But now it came with vengeance. Pretty humid out there. Our windows were all fogged up this morning - will be until the sun hits them. I went out shopping yesterday afternoon while it was still raining - came back out after it stopped. Oh my, thought I was in a steam bath.
    Mr. P "invited" me to go to Rockport today for lobster on the pier. Well, I know his intentions. He has to go and look at a site up that way and want company. I had to disappoint him - even a lobster cannot bring me out in this heat/humidity.
    Hope you all are comfortable with an A/C. Have a nice, cool weekend - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August Chats!

Good morning, Pingo

Actually, it's quite comfortable here - have all the windows open, and when I first got up this morning it really was a little chilly with the back door open.

Was up early.  Had made a couple of lemon loaves; one for me and one to take to my DIL's.  There has been a death of a 30 year old on her side of the family, and tho I know they are inundated with sandwiches, etc., I'm trying to tempt her appetite with one of her favorites, the lemon loaf.

Plans I had to go out to lunch today were canceled, so I'm at loose ends for the week-end.  Will probably read right through those books I bought that I mentioned in the reading thread.

I would not pass up Rockport on a day like today, I think it'll be gorgeous down there, always a breeze off the ocean.  In fact, that's an idea for me.  May call my neighbor later and see if she wants to take a ride down there.

Hope you find a cool, comfortable place.
    P.S. The screaming next door has already started - oh my.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Oh my dear Pingo...you pass up lobster at Rockport?   You've got more will power than I do. I have only been there a couple of times and loved it.  I suppose you have pictures of Motif #1 there. Most everyone does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

I think I read somewhere that Motif #1 is the most painted building in the U.S. by artists.  I think the original was blown down in the Blizzard of '78 and the current structure is a replica.  

mothermitzi 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning!
    Didn' t go to Rockport for lobster yesterday, but I went on the ride with Mr. P and after his site visit we went to Gloucester and picked up two big ones at the pier and cooked them at home. Ate them at our own deck with a glass of wine watching the sunset.
    Made your blueberry pie, tt. But after seeing the blueberries went back up to 3.99/pint, I decided to use the ready made graham cracker crust. It is quite a bit smaller than my pie plates. -  For 4 people it will be plenty anyway. These people are coming from Connecticut stopping by on their way to a week in Maine. I don' t know, what time they will be here. So I am making a pasta salad with salmon and peas, which I can have ready. Mr. P will grill some corn - and that should do it.
    Ken, I don' t have a painting of Motif #1 in my home. Not yet. But Mr. P have taken  several photos of it. And someday, I want sit down and do my own watercolor of it.
    You are right mother mitzy. What we see today is just a replica. But I am not sure it was during the blizzard of 78 it was blown down. I believe it was during another bad storm we had some years later. You may be right, I will have to check on that.
    You all have a nice Sunday - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy,
    I just googled motif #1 - and you are right. It was indeed during the blizzard of 78 it was blown down. Boy, that is over 30 years ago. I still see the pictures of it floating in the ocean. Can' t believe they stay so clear in my memory for that long. Glad they rebuild it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

That was intersting about Motif #1. My mother was the artist in our family, using oils, or water colors or pastels and I know at one time she painted it. And my oldest brother is quite the photographer (at one time he was the photographer for the Lexington  Minute Man) and I have seen photos he had taken of the Motif. And I am sure the paintings and photos were all pre-1978.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sunday is over, and I had an unexpected invitation for a cookout - pork, corn, pasta salad and regular salad, wine, and I brought a plate of homemade brownies and a dish of celery stuffed with cream cheese, as my contribution.  Comfortable weather to spend out on their deck, and good company.

G.T. popped in this morning, pruners in hand.  I shudder when I see him come armed with those, he prunes and cuts back everything within his reach!  They stayed about 4 hours and a lot of "damage" can be done in that length of time!  Did bring me some apple jelly from the General Store in Moultonborough.  They had other plans for the rest of the afternoon, so did not join us at the cookout.  I sent them home with the last sliver of the blueberry pie, which I had frozen, and a package of candy fruit slices I had bought at Yummies during my candy extravaganza!  Tried to palm off the humongous bag of salted roasted pumpkin seeds I had bought (don't know what I was thinking when I bought them), but I can't get rid of them with anyone.  They're unopened, and I can't bear to just toss them out.

Mothermitzi, how was your day in NH?  The rain held off, here at least.  Pingo, you are probably still entertaining your guests.  Hope the pie was a hit.  Dr's appt. tomorrow and tho he probably will suggest surgery at this point, I'm not quite ready yet unless he stresses that waiting will produce permanent nerve damage.  Plan on baking an angel food cake when I get home, one of my son's has a birthday Tuesday.

Interesting, Ken, that your mother was a painter.  Another common thread you and Pingo have, she being a painter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Sounds like you had a nice day.  The last minute invitations are sometimes the best! Haven't thought about apple jelly for a long time.  My aunt used to make a crab apple jelly - subtle taste and very nice.  I never see that now. Good luck at the doctor tomorrow.  

We had a nice day in NH.  The weather was overcast but the kids went swimming anyway.  The menu was traditional summer fare: hot dogs, cheeseburgers, potato salad and a pasta salad.  My SIL also made cole slaw using cabbage from her garden and it was delicious.  I brought the cake.  When it started to sprinkle we moved inside.  They have a screened porch on the front of the cottage.  The breeze was divine.  The last few days I've had my a/c running and no windows open, so I appreciated the fresh air.  Traffic coming home on route 93 was horrendous.  

I'm in for the night and about to read the paper.  Take care.

mothermitzi     

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi board friends:

Sounds like everyone had a great weekend.  Love spur of the moment get togethers.. so much fun.

Last night I went to a friends house for dinner and was surprised with boiled lobsters..delicious.. she even provided the bibs. 

What a crazy day for weather..kids and I planned to meet at the beach about 11:00..sun was in and out but we decided to go anyway..got there and it was so foggy and cold we didnt know what to do.. stayed long enough to enjoy a nice picnic together and left shortly after..I watched movies most of the afternoon and am planning to take my book and read in bed.  Feels more like fall then August. 

Back to the routine tomorrow.

putt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

Well, it sure was a banner weekend for you and pingo in the lobster department!  I indulged myself in Maine and will have it again over Labor Day.  I like to be at the beach, even on a cool day, to bundle up and read.  I don't go much anymore.  I used to lie in the sun for hours and loved it.  Now I want to be under an umbrella and it's such a hassle to haul it.  Family is coming next weekend and we may go to Crane Beach.  I've had a request for a trip to the beach and the Clam Box.  

I've been reading the paper and my book all night.  Not feeling the least bit tired, so I'm going to have a glass of warm milk and see if it works - usually does.

mothermitzi  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi

I hope the warm milk helped you sleep.  I took my book and went to bed about 9:00..just like clockwork (no pun intended) I am awake about 3:00..this is getting very old.  I started reading my book and did fall asleep but it makes me cranky the next day.  Have tried everything with the exception of sleeping pills.  Would rather not start that.  Got together with some high school friends and we are trying to figure out the reason for it always being in the 3 am range.

We used to go to Crane's beach many weekends when I was growing up. Also, we would come home on military leave for two weeks and Crane's was a special treat for my kids too. Parking was reasonable then, not sure what they charge now.

Skipping exercise class today and working in the garden..the weeds have really taken over.  Also, my landscaper didnt show up this week.  I give the town kids first dibs on odd jobs around my house.. pay them more then then ask and they have no problem not showing up or calling.  In this economy I would think they would be happy for the work.

Have a great day and keep cool.

putt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

MM
    Ipswich, another memory. I lived there my first year of college (GOrdon).In fact it was just down the street from Cranes beach wheer I went often that summer. You go to Cranes by starting down Argilla Rd., and the first right of that is Grapevine Rd, where I lived for a year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt, hope your doc's visit goes well.
    IMO you should really not consider surgery so quickly. The docs just love to cut (big bucks). Unfortunately they are not always thinking of you.
    You already had your shot and if you are able to rest your hand, it might go away by itself. But of course, that means no Mah-Jong for a while.  It is an inflammation and the swelling is pressing on the nerves.
    This was told to me, when I once was having similar problem. My dear friend/expert in hand surgeries told me: REST your hand, elevate it and get off the computer as much as you possibly can, and it will go away. And it sure did. This was about 7 years ago, and now as soon as I feel a  bit of pain - I stop playing the computer games and only do my most essentials - like e-mail and my Chat.
    My (yours) pie was such a hit. I did your recipe exactly as told - and it was really not too sweet. Thanks!
    Our friends didn' t show up until 3 - so I was thrilled to be able to have everything ready. It had started to rain at that time - so we would not have been able to do burgers and hotdogs and eating on the deck. The corn, I "grilled" under the broiler. I had also made a few extras - to calm my anxiety waiting. Truely, I don' t do well with these - we-will-stop-by-whenevers. But it was nice to see them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

I posted a recipe today on the recipe thread for a nice summer salad.  It is very tasty.

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh wow mothermitzy, that recipe is something my family would love. Just one question. How many people does this recipe serve? 3/4 lbs of orzo and 2 lbs of shrimps seems like a lot. Can't wait to make it. Probably around labor day, when all my immediate family will be here. But I will definitely cut down on the ingredients. Thanks!
    I made tt's blueberry pie yesterday. It was a big hit. Now I can't wait to try the same with nectarine or peaches and apricot jelly.
    I meant to ask you, but so much has been going on lately so I keep forgetting. How is your Dad doing with his leg? I am (my "weather leg" that is) doing terrible these days with the humidity and the hot weather. Every single joint seems to hurt. Of course I was laid up for quite awhile, so maybe that is adding to it. Like the learned say, "If you don't use it, you loose it".
    Have a nice evening - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I second pingo's good advice.  Doc's are preprogrammed to do as much surgery as possible.  The hospital makes out for that, not necessarily you.  It will be vastly worth it to do everything you can to reduce the inflamation on your own.  You'll be forced to recover and rest after surgery for a long time, anyway, so might as well skip the pain and recovery of surgery and just do the resting and recovering without it.  Pretend you've had surgery and follow the post-op care you'd get if you'd had it.

It reminds me of weight loss surgery.  After surgery, patients must cut their intake of fat and portions to very small amounts or they'll get diahreah and will vomit.  I wonder why if they are able to do it then, they can't do it otherwise...the required action is exactly the same.  Seems like surgery isn't necessary if it's just a motivator to do what needs to be done anyway...

Of course, that's not to say that you don't need surgery for sure, but give it a good college try to avoid it if you can!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello,everyone

Doctor's appt. went pretty much as I thought today.  I had an electrical impulse test done and what should have registered a 2-3, was 11 on one hand and 7 on the other - definitely carpal tunnel.  The surgeon I saw was not pushing surgery, just suggested that I should think about having it particularly on my right hand.   Right now there is no muscle damage.  I will take a couple of weeks continuing to try not to aggravate it to see if it improves any more than it has at present, and then make a decision.  He said there was no urgency. Six week period of not lifting anything if I have it done.  Wonder who is going to do all the things around here that require lifting during that time?  Hmmmmm.

Mothermitzi, that recipe sounds delicious.  Unfortunately 2 members of my family have shellfish allergies, so I'll have to wait until some kind of a group gathering.  Paring the recipe down, it would be elegant to serve when I have my "girls" for Christmas lunch.

Pingo, glad the pie was a hit.  It's definitely on my "make again" list.

Must rest the old fingers, so I'll get off now.  Thanks for all your concern and advice from each of you.

Goodnight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like you have an unusually holistic doctor, tt.  That's good news.  Best to you for these 6 weeks of rest.

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

The recipe says it serves 6.  However, I think that would be the case if you served it as the main entree. When I had it, it was served as a side at a barbecue with a dozen guests.  There was a small amount left.

My father is doing well.  Thanks for asking.  He is not having pain in his leg at the moment and hasn't for a few months now.   

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning all!  TT - hope you do rest your hands.  Have you tried a brace?  They do sell them at CVS and I used one in the past and it helped, although I did not have carpel tunel - only the beginning stages.  I just switched the hand that I use the mouse ( I am a lefty, so switched to my right hand) and that luckily did the trick for me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi tt, I am so pleased to hear your doc did not press for surgery. Good guy! And as Kar already said - after your surgery, you still have to rest your hand for several weeks - so why not do it right now and try to see if you can avoid surgery? I am truly glad you are consulting with an "old-fashioned" guy.
    But just check in with us once in a while, will you? Please.

Edit to add: Oh I forgot - princess have a good advice - try to use a brace. It is like a glove and they sell them in any drugstore. I totally forgot, but I have one and I use it, whenever I feel a twinge. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

tt - I hope it works out that you dont need surgery.  It may be just a case of taking it easy and trying home remedies first.  Easy for me to say..I've never had the pain involved with it.  I'll be thinking of you.

pingo..you still seem to be a little uncomfortable..wish there were a magic potion to make you feel better.

My sister has her open heart surgery next week and she is not looking forward to it at all.  She was informed today that her dental visits needed to be up to date..if there were any infection the surgery would be postponed.  It sure would have been nice had they told her a month ago.  Now she is trying to get a dentist to check her teeth.

Spent three hours weeding my garden yesterday.. who needs exercise class!  Looks like I could spend another three hours..weeds must grow overnight.

Guess I will fix a salad, pour a glass of chardonnay and get ready for the game.

Enjoy

putt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

That's exactly what I did tonight - salad with grilled chicken and a glass of wine. I'm not going to wait and see who wins the game - bottom of the 12th now.  I'm going to bed.  I know that you and your sister have had your share of troubles, but you seem to be trying to have some kind of relationship with her.  I hope she is open to that and responds in kind.  Family relationships can be complicated. I wish her well next week.  

My beefsteak tomatoes are a failure this year.  I'm going to dump the container this weekend.  The unripe tomatoes are small and victim of the tomato blight that is going around.  I will also harvest the Hungarian peppers before they rot. Eggplant and cherry tomato are doing well, believe it or not.  My morning glories are blooming like mad - the most vibrant blue.  Not the best year for my vegetable containers, although the herbs did well. Last week I made a big batch of pesto. Froze half of it. This morning, I noticed gray blotches on my marigold leaves. I've never seen a summer like this one.  Pretty soon, it will be time for mums!

mothermitzi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello mother mitzy, you are not the only one with garden troubles. My tomatoes are not doing well either. But this "summer" has not been for us trying to pick a few tomatoes.
    Read some place that our tomatoes have the "Potato Blight" - not knowing what that is. But surely, lots of my tomatoes have brown spots all over. I pick them off and just hope the rest will give me some "pickled green tomatoes" for my Thanksgiving dinner. I made those for years, and I know my family will ask for them. Can't buy green tomatoes at the stores.
    My peppers - hots, no bells - are doing well. Will take your advice and harvest them before they rot. Will preserve them for later. Still have some from last year. Not all from my own garden. My son and DIL bring them abundants from TX, where they get too many to use. And hot they are. I pickle them and I make hot sauce. Give some jars away as hostess gifts for Christmas - and they have always been accepted fondly. Somehow the homegrown peppers have a much sweeter hot taste (they have told me) than the sauces you can buy. Of course mine is w/o preservatives and all that stuff, the commercial companies add.
    Oh well - I think I got side tracked. Can't believe TG is just around the corner.
    Have a nice day - Pingo