August Chats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August Chats!

----THe only thing I like about him is that he is trying to get rid of the illegals----

Well Ken, don' t you think it is plenty to like about him? I wish a lot of other officers of the law would learn from him. - P

In Response to Re: August Chats!:
    [QUOTE]I get email notification EVERY  time someone posts on this this thread, not just when replying to my post. Yes, we know about the tough Sheriff. We don't have much use for him. THe only thing I like about him is that he is trying to get rid of the illegals.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, saw Julie and Julia when it first came out and it was a great.  Nice way to spend a hot afternoon (sounds familiar, I think I posted that right after seeing it!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I'm waiting for it to come out on dvd...but I know Julie and Julia will be right up my kitchen alley

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Agree tt,
    I was out picking up most of my tomatoes this morning. All still green. They are not in any state of ripening soon, so I decided I might as well get them off the vines before the storm - so at least I can pickle them. I left a few just to see, what will happen.
    I tell you - in one half hour, I was so soaked from the humidity, that I had to take another shower and change my clothing. It is horribly humid today, but maybe near the ocean one would not feel it so much. But I wouldn't take a chance in Rockport, where there will be very little shelter in case of thunder.
    Now waiting for Mr. P to get back from his construction site - then we will go and see "Julie & Julia". Even my son, who normally doesn't like this kind of movies - he likes action and bang, bang, chu, chu movies - recommended it. His cooking website got 20 free tickets - so he went. And I know, you recommended it as well. I am sure we will both like it. And it is in A/C. That is good enough for me.
    Have a nice babysitting time w/ your grand children. But do take care of your hand.  Happy weekend - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: August Chats! : I know this post wasn't to me, but I just came in from doing a little grocery shopping and picking up a couple of things for the kids (I'm babysitting tonight), and I say, "STAY IN THE AC HOUSE"! It is soooo humid out there.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]I'm waiting for it to come out on dvd...but I know Julie and Julia will be right up my kitchen alley
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

You know, Icer, it really is a very tender love story about Julia and her husband too.  Such a nice, feel good movie.  I'm sure you'll love it.  I could see it again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi everyone,
    I think we are all posting at the same time. Happy weekend to you all
    - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, you're just being nice, Pingo, seeing as Thursby has nominated you for "Pingo Appreciation Day"!!  Evidently the rest of us are "chopped liver"! (You probably can't even read his post, really quite a nice tribute to you.  I think he's trying to make up!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Hello princess, Rockport is nice - but I don' t think I would go there today. We have been promised heavy rain and thunderstorms this afternoon. Hubby went to a construction site this morning. When he gets back we are planning to hit an early movie. "Julie and Julia". Everyone thinks it is a very nice movie. Maybe we will eat out after that. Got a coupon to Outback for one free dinner. How can one say no to that. I am not surprised at all, they are advertising like that. We have gone there in the past and the place was packed - 2 hours wait. But lately we have been able to walk right in and get seated. Guess it is a sign of the times. Unfortunately. Well have a nice weekend, whatever you might be doing. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    Outback is nice. I love ther Bloomin' Onion

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, unfortunately I saw it. I hope you or no one else will respond. Please, please, please!!!!
    There is not such thing as PAD. My 'appreciation day' is every day I read a post from one of the many wonderful friends I have met here on the Chat. I don't care if he is trying to make up. I am not biting, and I hope none of you will. The guy is a total nut. I am truly embarrassed he posted this, but maybe that was his goal.
    But as in the past, if no one answers his ridiculous post, he will go away. - P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]----THe only thing I like about him is that he is trying to get rid of the illegals---- Well Ken, don' t you think it is plenty to like about him? I wish a lot of other officers of the law would learn from him. - P In Response to Re: August Chats! :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    I don't believe that humiliating men is the way to deter them from crime, but rather builds up in them a hatred for law and order. I have done considerable ministry to prisoner, either through visitation or correspondence. Men need rehabilitation to deter them, not degradation. Research has shown that incarderation has NEVER been an effective deterrent. And it has shown here in AZ too where his harsh treatment has NOT decreased the crime rate. I know this is not a popular opinion. Many think.....lock 'em up and throw away the key. Our nation cannot continue to imprison men at the present rate. We must think of alternatives. It costs about $40,000 a year to imprison ONE person. We need to start using methods while they are in prison that will turn them from a life of crime. Simply humiliating them does nothing to that end. That is not what you call being tough on crime.
    Well I could go on at great lengths on this....and have in other places. After you have communicated at great lengths with prisoners you have a different outlook.
    OK..I will get off my soap box

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Procrastination" is my name,
    Putting things off, is my game -

The clothes sit waiting on the floor
    All that's needed, is to open the door
    then down the cellar stairs I'll tred
    and toss them in - why all the dread?

There is no monster waiting there,
    no snakes, no frogs, no mice to 'beware"
    But still with eyes averted I walk
    right by the basket, and decided to talk
    instead on the computer I go -
    these clothes need washing, don't you know?

A sleepover is in store tonight,
    and fresh, clean clothes are needed, right?
    But here I sit, fingers typing away,
    just killing time, wiling hours in the day.

Soon it will be 7:00 and my son will appear
    and say, "Ma, are you ready?  Kids are waiting here -"
    And I'll have to confess,  "No, not ready yet. No nightgown,
    no slippers, no change for tomorrow.  I'll just come as I am
    more the sorrow." 

But I know that's not a good example I'm setting,
    so I'll end this rambling and now, I'm betting,
    the thunder and lightning we're expecting will start
    and I can't run the washer in that, dear heart.

So you see tis not my fault -
    all this hemming and hawing,
    Fate plays a hand
    in this procrastination I'm borrowing.

toytrumpet, August 2009

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

tt..so good to see your great poems again..have fun with the grandchildren, clean clothes or not..

putt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

yes TT,, a nice poem.  I post mine poems on Original Poetry.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning all,
    Did you hear the rain last night? Boy was it coming down heavily.
    Funny thing, Mr. P came home from his job site in Andover (around 3ish) and was completely drenched from just hopping in and out of his car. While we around here - only 20 minutes away - did not have a single drop.

He quickly changed and we went to see "Julie and Julia". Lovely movie. Mr. P was a bit bored, but I loved it. Meryl Streep was fantastic. However, I do think it is more of a home DVD movie, than paying top $$ in the theater. How expensive it has become to go to the movies, even w/ SC discount.

tt, I was so happy to see your poem again. Great stuff. Hope your babysitting is going well. As your grandchildren are sleeping over, I guess you are still in that mode. Hope your hand is getting better.

Ken, in no way do I believe in humiliating prisoners - men or women. However, I do feel that our prisons/jails are often like a country clubs. Some prisoners have it better in the prison, than they would have it at home. I agree with you, rehabilitation is the key. But after we spend $40,000/year on all kind of rehabilitation services, too many go right back to their "bad" friends and commit crimes again. Maybe I am naive, but I believe jail should be a deterrent. Still, I appreciate your ministry to the prisoners. not many could do that. Thanks!

Putt, did your sister come home? How is she doing? Tough job for her family. I hope for you, that you are only on 'stand-by' and is not actively involved in her after care. What about home nursing?

Have to run up to Costco today and then to the Mall to return a few things. My sister in law invited us for dinner tonight - so I don' t have to worry about rushing home to cook dinner.

Have a great Sunday and bless you all - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning,

Just got in from sitting and a sleepover at my son's.  Yes, the clothes did get washed, and I even found time and energy in my hot house to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies (with a few plain ones for the 5 year old).  Had a great time with the kids; started a hundred piece HULK puzzle (trying to draw the 8 year old boy in); they loved playing a card game "Train" I picked up for them, and when I told them about one of their uncles (when he was a kid) pretending to be the "answer man" beneath an old cardboard box with a slit cut in it, my grandson decided to play the same game using a large empty cardboard box they had.  We had a lot of fun with that.  My granddaughter and I wrote simple questions on a slip of paper, slid it in the slot, and the "answer man" had a flashlight underneath and wrote back answers and slipped them out to us!  A lot of laughter in that house last night.  Hated to come home this morning, but they had another full day ahead of them, in memory of the relative who had passed away in February.
    Makes me realize once again, why God gives kids to young people - I never could keep up the pace they do.

Still no word from Mothermitzi, unless I'm missing something - has she started her own blog or something and I missed notification of that?  Pingo, have you had any word from her?  Perhaps she was staying in Maine for the entire week, but I understood it was just for a long week-end.

Glad you enjoyed Julie and Julia, Pingo.  We saw it at Hollywood Hits in Danvers and the Sr. rate was $7.00.  I don't think that's bad.

The cat has not left my side since I got in, and after eating her breakfast, is stretched out on the floor beside me.  Breakfast at my son's consists of coffee and donuts, so I need my Cheerios.  Have a good day everyone.

Ken, I would never post my "rhymes" anywhere - they aren't poems in any sense of the word, just rambling rhymes that I enjoy getting out of my head and onto paper - but thank you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    Sounds like you had a great evening with the children. Precious ages - you can still have fun with them - so enjoy it while it last. The teenage years will be more difficult.
    I know, the tickets are less at the Hollywood Hits, but I can't drag Mr. P in there anymore. Every time we have gone there to see a movie, something happened with the reel and we had to leave in the middle. It happened twice with "Out of Africa" and another time with another movie, I forgot the name of. We did get our money back, but it was a pain. Besides, Mr. P thinks the seats there are very uncomfortable. We usually go to Revere. Actually, we do not go very often. Maybe 3 - 4 times a year max. We don't go to just go to the movies. We only go if it is a movie, we really want to see and if it has been recommended to us. Even then we will research it, to see if it is something we would like to waste 2 hours on.
    No tt, I have not heard from Mothermitzy either. So, like you - I have started to worry a bit. I am sure she was only to be gone for 4 - 5 days with her guests. Lets hope and pray all is well with her and her father as well. One week is a long time for her not to be on the Chat. I am sure she will check in as soon as she can, but in the meantime??????
    Make me think of your DIL. How is she doing? Is she getting stronger and getting back to 'normal'? Was that her children you sat for last night? If so, I am glad she got a chance to go out. Sorry, but I am still a bit confused - even after all these years - who belong to whom of your 4 sons. Not that I am asking you to draw up a family tree for me. LOL
    Well, have a nice day - I am sure you must be tired after your babysitting and not sleeping in your own bed. Glad to hear you were missed by Cheerio. - P

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Thanks to all of you for your concern.  It means a lot that we do care and look out for each other here, especially when one of the flock goes missing for a few days! Well, this missing member of the flock is back and I am sorry to have caused any worry.  Our long weekend away with the family turned into a week's stay, mainly due to the hot weather down here.  When it gets hot in Maine, I know it's broiling here, so we stayed through the week.  I was off all week anyway.  We had no internet and the one day my SIL took her laptop to an internet cafe I was playing Scrabble with the kids.  My father doesn't really like to go anymore but went because he wanted to be with the kids.  However, a week was too long for him and he was anxious to get home. My brother took him on a couple of golfing expeditions with the grandchildren, trying to keep him occupied.  I think he enjoyed that, riding in the cart and giving pointers, so it was not all bad.  Took a day trip out to Vinalhaven, which was great. Spent an afternoon in Portland, shopping at the Old Port.  And of course, we ate and ate - more lobster, corn and blueberry pie.  I'm afraid to get on the scale.  I'm going to walk this week and try to get on the treadmill a couple of times.  Then, I'll weigh myself!  

Tomorrow, it's back to the grind.  It is always sad to see everyone go home, but that's what happens when everybody is far-flung. That's the way it goes these days. Of course, everybody will be back in November for my father's big birthday but not for the holidays. They wouldn't miss it and agreed the celebration is a priority over the holidays.  Now, I can start planning a party. 

Today doesn't seem as hot, but the air is still.  I'm going to walk over to the river with an iced-coffee and read the paper.  I spent the morning throwing away many of my deck plants.  My neighbor watered my plants but the aphids came back and I couldn't stand it.  Nothing was thriving.  I'll wait a couple of weeks and put in some fall plants. Now I have to find my recipe for green tomato relish.  I have enough to make pingo's recipe and relish.

Enjoy the rest of the day everybody!

mothermitzi  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mothermitzi,

Just a quickie - so glad to see you back and to learn that everything is OK.  Will chat more during the week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

hi mm...MY DITTO to what TT said....glad u are back and had a good time....
    lobster and blueberry pie,, oh yes, wait a week before you step on the scales. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome back mothermitzi - we missed you..knew you were going for a couple of days.  We do care about each other, that's for sure.  Sounds like you had a great time.

Just got back from spending time with my sister.  As you know,  she had heart surgery and chose not to go into a rehab center.  The whole family is taking shifts 24/7..problem is..she is tired but refuses to nap while we are there.  Believe me, I am talked out and would welcome a chance to read a magazine while she rests.

Think I'll have a glass of wine and find a good movie until the Sox play..there is also the Little League team from West Peabody I have been following. 

Again, welcome back!

putt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi pingo

Good to hear from you..yes, my sister came home from the hospital on Friday.  They wanted her to go to a rehab center for a week but she refused and told them her family would take care of her..someone has to be there at all times so we try and set up a schedule..I was there yesterday and again today.  She is exhausted but refuses to nap until one of her boys takes over.  Believe me, keeping up a three hour conversation is tiring for a healthy person let alone someone in her situation.  I can see improvement everyday which is a good thing.

Hope to see Julie and Julia sometime soon..sounds really good. 

putt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]tt, unfortunately I saw it. I hope you or no one else will respond. Please, please, please!!!! There is not such thing as PAD. My 'appreciation day' is every day I read a post from one of the many wonderful friends I have met here on the Chat. I don't care if he is trying to make up. I am not biting, and I hope none of you will. The guy is a total nut. I am truly embarrassed he posted this, but maybe that was his goal. But as in the past, if no one answers his ridiculous post, he will go away. - P
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

The ignore button works very well in this case.  I have used it on a couple of posters who have been problems in the past and it's a great feature.  You never see anything they post.  Out of sight, out of mind.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

This is our first moonflower of the year...previous picture

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]This is our first moonflower of the year...previous picture
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]
    BEAUTIFUL