Crafting Projects and Ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: Crafting Projects and Ideas

Thanks.  It's the one I kept out of the 7 I made for Xmas...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Only in the top drawer of reorganization of the craft bureau and already have come aross some wonderful finds - a pkg of dark green rafia - some light green tulle, green ribbon - all good finds for a St. Paddy's Day wreath - for me to make.  What a job this is.  snips and pieces of this and that, and some should and will be tossed.  5 more drawers to go, but I'll be lucky if I get this one organized in compartments today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I just cut a 12" wreath form from the top of a pizza box that had no grease/food stains...it is not as sturdy as the foam board but it will do for a wreath that has lots of sturdy stuff glued on....hmmm....what could I use?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A Spring flower theme?

In my emails back and forth with G.T. today I told him I was buying some more foamboard and the next time he came down I wanted him to cut out a bunch of the 10" (I feel that's plenty big enough for 7 and 10 year olds to work with) so I would have a supply on hand. His had much smoother, neater edges than the ones I cut out with a paring knife. Miss having a craft store that has odds and ends marked down.  I know that's where I got that little bag of carrots, at a Craft Shop that used to be on 114 aross from M.B.  Years ago G.T. and I used to take a ride up there on the week-end and get all kinds of things.  It's long gone now, and probably morphed into Michael's or A.C. Moore.

I, myself, really don't have doors inside to hang wreaths up, not doors where you would see them anyway.  I still want to do a sea/lighthouse theme for my friend, just haven't found enough that I could cut out to make a good showing.  And, I would like to do one for pumpkin's mom, of little kids but need to actually get something cut out and place them around.  I'm a visual person.  I go onto Pinterest sometimes and just scan down the pages, but some things, I'm surprised, are very infantile.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, can't you use styrofoam rings, so you don't have to cut them out? They are available in all sizes. I would imagine you could glue on those too.
    For your sea loving friend, I would forget about the cut outs and just use shells, stones/pebbles and sea glass. Just place them tight enough. Maybe find a couple of anchors (the ones used for appliqués) in the notion department.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT as a matter of fact I am working on a spring flower idea...won't be done for a few weeks, though.

Pingo, that is what i would have suggested for the nautical.  Christmas tree shop has starfish, sand dollars, and sea glass which would look lovely...I may do one like that for summer.  I have already bought the stuff...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

When her husband was alive, this friend owned a sailboat and she has taken vacation tours everywhere to see lighthouse locations.  So, my aim is a wreath that features those two items, not a beach/seashore theme.  I'll get there sooner or later.

ETA:  You know, I'm trying to follow through on the paper theme here too.  This is a new type of wreath to me, and I've enjoyed making the valentine one and finding a few things for Lilly's.  I have many wreaths I've made and save for different seasons, flowers, leaves, other appropriate grapevine add-ons.  As with the paper bowls, I'm enjoying this new "hunt for category pictures".  You got me hooked on this with pictures of your wreaths, Hats, and now you're trying to steer me off in another direction!  As for the foamboard versus styrofoam, Pingo, I've never liked the styrofoam, prefer grapevine.  But, this is a different form of expression.  I'll wait and just post a pic when I have it and the children's one for pumpkin's mom done.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, I see - so we need light houses. That would be quite a task to find in magazines. Could you google some and print them?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have a calendar that has folk art pictures for each page - included are sailboats, people in rowboats, lighthouses in the background, shops that would be found in a sailing community.  That is my main source for my friend's.  For pumpkin's mom I have another calendar with several pics including children at play. - Sorry now that I tossed one or two other free calendars that came - they are a great source of sturdy material.  

Hats, I did shadow boxes once, with pieces of main focus of interest, raised.  Thinking of doing that with the sailboats - this foamboard would be an easy material to glue on the back of pieces I want to "stand out".  Reminds me of the embellishments I put on the boys' cards, they are raised too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You are right about the styro scraps, thanks for that tip.  Thinking to teach a class on the shadow boxes in a year or so...

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Hats, I did shadow boxes once, with pieces of main focus of interest, raised.  Thinking of doing that with the sailboats - this foamboard would be an easy material to glue on the back of pieces I want to "stand out".  Reminds me of the embellishments I put on the boys' cards, they are raised too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That is so pretty. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

the inside is colored sand..which I dyed myself with food coloring and baked in the oven..sprinkled onto spray adhesive...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, looks like the sailboat and the light house came from one of those Red Rose tea boxes. I used to collect them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hats, looks like the sailboat and the light house came from one of those Red Rose tea boxes. I used to collect them.

[/QUOTE]

I still do!  This set with the nautical theme are the best ever!  Must drink more tea!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought they had stopped including them in the boxes ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In the small boxes yes, but in the 100 count boxes they are still including them.  Strangely we drink more in the summer because I make my own iced tea using 8/9 bags at a time...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Out to the Dollar Store this morning for some fixins for a Spring wreath -

Not sure if they're for me or one of the grandkids!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had pansies on last year's spring wreath!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's pretty.  I'm not crazy about the pkg'd stuff, but figured the girls might like the butterflies and ladybugs.  Asked about paper doilies but they didn't have any.  I still have a few left.  Target has none, I'll check S&S when I go.  I looked there for some purple ribbon, but there was none.  All they seem to carry in the wide ribbon is in that baby section.

Disappointed that I didn't see stuff I could use for St. Paddy's Day theme.  Last year there was a  lot more small stuff.  I'm sure there is some saved from last year - upstairs somewhere.  Picked up another sheet of the foamboard for G.T. to cut up for me.  AND, picked up some butterfingers, peppermint patties, choc covered nuts for me!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I went to the dollar store today and didn't buy anything - will go to one in FLA if I need anything while I am there.  Starting to pack, so that's why I may not be following as closely but needs must.  I will look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

I know what you mean about the stickers, not my thing unless they are the 'vintage' kind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a great time - how long are you going for?  I leave you with my St. Paddy's Day door decoration that I put this bow on many, many, many years ago -

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

a few weeks, actually...I like that, simple but gets the message across and it sure looks spring-like against the purple door...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's nice tt. I love the purple door.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks.  I love my purple door too.  Have had it that color many years.  My gutter guy paints it when it needs repainting, does a much better job than I originally did.

P.S.  The "stickers" are puff things.  Thought I might set a butterfly or dragonfly on the petals of the flowers - nice touch, I think.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh that does sound nifty.  Mind if I steal that idea some time?