December 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: December 2013

Things have changed, now a much thicker snowfall and it is sticking to the streets.  Car traffic is going at a slower pace.  Be careful any of you driving in it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi all

congrats on your promotion nov! Does the new job have the same hours? I struggle so much to balance doing a good job at work with being available for my kids and not getting home late. I think a promotion would be a challenge for me right now. (although I'd like the idea of being recognized at work for my efforts - and a raise!)

DD's school was closed early today so I am home. We have already watched a movie (during DD2's nap) and baked choc chip cookies and banana bread! Both came out good, the cookies in particular.  Tt I thought of you when I was baking. I love doing it but don't do it very often Bc it's hard to bake when watching the kIds too. Now that dd1 is almost 4 she is old enough to help and it's a lot of fun. the only issue was she kept eating the cookie batter which has eggs in it. Now I'm always guilty of nibbling on the batter but I was afraid the raw eggs would make her sick so I kept telling her to stop (and she kept ignoring me). I hope she will be ok!

Bummed because I wanted to buy all of the cousins slippers from LL bean and I was waiting to hear back on sizes amd hadn't ordered them yet. Went to order them this morning and they are sold out in a few sizes including my DD. I called a few stores but they don't carry toddler sizes so I think I'm out of luck. Any other ideas on where I could find quality slippers for kids? If I cant find any I may just buy each kid a cheap-0 pair from somewhere and then another present.

happy bday hats!

kar I hope you start feeling better soon. What a terrible ordeal you are going through.

As I am typing this i looked up to check on the kids and DD2 is walking around wearing my winter (tall)boots. She must have gone into the mudroom and put them on. They come up to her chest. Very funny. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wish you had a camera and could capture a pic of that, Rama.  Too cute. (the boots up to her chest)

My boys were and are cookie dough eaters, no harm done - AND, our own Kargiver is guilty of that!

As for the kids slippers, their feet grow so fast, 6 months sometimes and they're into the next size - I wouldn't worry about expensive slippers.  Most times they end up kicking them off anyway.  Sears would have a decent slipper, I'm sure, or even some of these shoe places - choice of sizes may be down now it's so close to the holiday.

Just heated and ate my eggplant.  Would have liked a glass of pinot with it, but have more strips to tape together while I watch TV tonight, so don't want to be nodding off.  Used the time while it was heating in the oven to call a friend of a friend that I keep check on.  She's a gabber, but I could truthfully say I had to go when the oven timer went off - yet, we got a chance to wish each other a merry Christmas - that was what was most important, just to touch base.

Traffic going by here has definitely slowed to a snail's pace.  Roads even  here must be freezing in spots.  So glad I'm of the age to claim fear of falling as an excuse not to go out.  One of the few plusses of being "older".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I canceled a delivery of my last Gingerbreadhouses...I was going to drop them off this afternoon but I also had to pick up our neighbors...They went to Florida for the weekend...It kind of tied me up for the day but oh well...we'll just have to deal with it before Zachary time...shuttin' it down fer the night>>Pleasant dreams everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tomorrow will be a better day for traveling to drop off your gingerbread houses, Icer.  Can you take Zach in the car with you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I can...but I'd rather not have my attention divided...I will drop off to them around 9 and head over for Zach duty right after that...They could also wait till after Zach duty about 4:45..but I am spoiled and don't like to drive if its getting dark..

Snow up-date...Honey and I just hit the driveway...very light and fluffy...could have used a leaf blower...Now i'll shut 'er down....I mean it!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, grilled cheese was last night!  I have been driving in this storm since 1 pm, glad to be home.  Not feeling like making tuna...we'll see...

ETA: DH wanted the tuna....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, it's your birthday. You are supposed to be waited on. Hope DH took you out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

He offered, but after driving in the snow for over 6 hours, that was the last thing I wanted!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

You were destined to have tuna yesterday, Hats.  lol  I can't imagine doing all that driving on a day like yesterday.  I'm sure it must be work related.  I hope you had a nice birthday, in any event.  To me, the day of your birth is always a special day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning - Hats, I hope you still had a nice bday.  Snow hit at a bad time yesterday.  Well over 2 hours for me to get home, argh.  Kar - any improvement?

We will be having everyone (in-laws + my mom) at my house on Christmas Eve.  We are just getting Chinese food and some italian trays from a great local restaurant.  I actually have to work until 3pm on Christmas Eve.  Booo.  I work in healh insurance, so you can imagine that things are a tad busy right now, lol.

Have a great day everyone - stay warm!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That sounds nice, Princess.  We never did any special get together on Christmas eve, and now, of course, it's too late because my kids are busy that night getting things ready for their kids' kids!  WHERE did the time go so quickly??  I shouldn't say never did anything special, I do have pics of me and two of my g.f.s from my then work place who would come back here after a 4:00 Christmas mass and have some wine and snacks while the Christmas music played in the background.  We were all divorced or widowed and were really tight then.  Now one lives in Fla and the other still in MA, but has distanced herself, I think in part because now her husband is dead and as happens so many times, the devil he was, has become "St. XXXXX".  Seeing me reminds her of times she doesn't want to acknowlege she lived.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Sorry I disappeared yesterday, we had our work potluck and I volunteered to help, so caught tied up with that. Then they called off DS' afterschool program, so I was going to bring him back to work for a couple of hours, but they said I could just leave for the day at 2:30, so that's what I did.

tt, I can't wait to see a picture of this bowl when it's finished, seems very crafty.

Princess your Christmas Eve celebration sounds lovely. We always went to my Grandparents, Aunt and Uncles, house and than a close friend of my parents on Christmas Eve. No we just go to the close friend of my parents. Well his wife paseed away a few years ago and my dad passed away as well, so my mom helps him and we all bring stuff. It's a nice time.

Pingo sounds like you had a productive trip to TJ's. The peppermint pretzels sound very good to me.

Rama your DD in your boots sounds adorable. Great job in baking with them there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT your post reminds me to ask = where is nanny friend these days?  Could you ask CL to stop by for tea on Christmas eve afternoon?

One of the troubles of getting old is treasured traditions going by the wayside.  First you get married and add places and obligations until you are so busy you can't stand it.... then it seems that all of a sudden you have nowhere to go, nothing to do.  Finding the just-right balance is hard, and sometimes you have to make conscious efforts.  When DD was little we struggled to be in three places at once - driving all over the state to see his family and my family and then two of those places disappeared through the deaths of loved ones.  I'm hoping that, like Pingo, someday DD will provide us with a new place to go and new family members to love.  Until then, well, we'll just have to enjoy what we have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We have all survived here at Casa d'Icer...Honey got up before I did and shoveled me out all by himself...but it only took him 20 minutes so I guess thats not too bad

I'm off to make deliveries...chat later...

Pingo ...safe journey!!! In case I don't make it back on...Zachary and I are going sledding This afternoon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Fun, fun, Icer.  Enjoy.  When we stopped over the "Marketplace" Monday, noticed the little "Green" that they have put a snow fence around and iced for kids to skate.  So nice, like a picture postcard small town scene.  My GD and friends had gone there skating the week before one afternoon after school.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, I reread my post about Christmas Eve - was only thinking of those families that have always had the Christmas Eve tradition - as a kid my relatives were practically non existant, so we never did that, and then when I raised my own family and they married, they were busy helping Santa on Christmas Eves.  Reminiscing that only time I got together with anyone on Christmas Eve was that period that us 3 gals were husbandless - due to one thing or another.  We'd get together here and then an hour later we'd all be in our own homes getting things ready for our kids' Christmas morning.

ETA:  reposted to read:  "Hats, I reread my post - - - - - - -"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I did read your post tt, that's why I mentioned starting a new tradition with nanny and/or CL....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, No, Hats, I meant I reread my post - not for you to reread it.

I understand what you are saying, new traditions are born.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Woke up at 6:30 to a completely clean driveway. Not only that, but the front steps and the walkway (and it is large) was also cleaned. This guy is a keeper. And he is very nice to boot. He will definitely get a nice Christmas present from us.

Hats, I can certainly understand, you didn't want to go out after driving around for 6 hours. What did you end up making? It is just in our house birthdays are big celebrations. My mother always pulled out "the nines" for us, and I did the same for my family. I am happy, that our sons carry on the tradition. And DIL is tacking along; she actually enjoys it.

Christmas Eve, has always been the biggest thing for me. For years, I cooked up a storm inviting family and close friends. And I enjoyed it. But now, age has shown it's ugly head. Everything good has to come to an end. Now DH and I enjoy each others company (always did) and would be happy to be just the two of us. We love our friends and family, but we don't need to gather them around to be happy. Now, as Hats pointed out, we concentrate on our immediate family. And in the process, we have made new friends.

Rama, I was chuckling reading about your DD in your boots. I hope you took a picture. That would be precious. Imagine showing that when she gets married? And believe me, it is not too far away.

Haven't heard from Kar this morning. Hoping she at the ear doc right now. I am worried. This thing can give permanent damage. Hope she check in soon to tell us, she is improving.

I am getting really nervous about UK son leaving for Argentina in a couple of days. Reading about the recent riots they had there, does not make me happy. Well, he is a big boy, I keep telling myself. But still, as a mother, one can only do so much. And this trip has been planed for months. I tell myself to take a big breath.

Going to the office shortly. Just to tie up ends. Have a good day everyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Went out around 11:00, cleared the stairs and walk and got the snow off the car.  So glad I did, now sun has melted all that and snow is falling off the branches of the trees.  If only the sun hit my back walk - what a plus that would be.  Was going to go out and do some shoveling there, but saving hands for this afternoon's fun.  Have made up a batch of sugar cookie cut out dough too, in case there's time for that.  4 boxes of Christmas decorations opened to be put around, and hoping she feels like doing that.  They have someone come in and professionally do their house, so am hoping decorating Nana's, will sound like fun.  If I remember from last year, she does like the little stories behind different pieces.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

" They have someone come in and professionally do their house"

Oh, my - what? That's the first time I have heard that. Well, in this time and age there is always a first.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

TT I'm eager to hear how that paper bowl making went.  It sounds like a project my mother in law would like to do with my niece and my DD. I think my DD may be a little young for the taping part but she would like the gluing part.  My niece is 6 and would love it.  my mother in law loves crafting, she actually reminds me a bit of you, hats, and when I mentioned the paper magazine bowl to her she was interested and hadn't heard of it before.

Kar, how are you feeling?

Thanks for all the remarks about DD2 and her boots.  I did get a pic on my phone of it and sent it to DH to see. Sometimes he gets sad he misses all of the cute things that the kids do while he is at work so I try to email him lots of pics of them on the days I am home. It's so much easier to be able to do it all from my phone since I am rarely in front of the computer during the days I am home.  Today I am at work but eager to leave and pick them up. I had to leave my house at 6:30 this morning for an 8:30 meeting in MEdford (I live southwest of the city and wanted to make sure I had enough time to get there with traffic and snow issues and I didn't know where I was going) and DD1 had just woken up when I was leaving and DD2 was still asleep.  HOpe to get out a little early to spend some time wtih them before bedtime! So much to do tonight, still haven't sent out my holiday cards and we are having a small family holiday gathering at our house over the weekend for some family that doesn't spend actual christmas together where we will exchange presents for the kids.  Very informal but still have to feed everyone so we have to get organized for that!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi...feeling guilty about just popping on to complain about my issue and it is difficult to use my eyes for fine tasks, but I'm getting a little better every day with mornings still the worst.  I've been doing the cheap alternative to a neti pot treatment to reach my inner ear with saline through my nose (Dixie cup), and that seems to get a bunch of gunk out the back of my ear.  If need be they can cut a hole in my eardrum and drain out the ear canal through the outer ear, but I'd rather avoid that.  

Thanks for asking, my friends, and thanks for bearing with me and my egocentric posts. :(

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, good to hear you are doing a bit better. Glad the neti is working for you. DH's allergies went bye-bye, when he started using it. Not that it is comparable with your problem. But it really does work wonders. I can't use it. I have tried several times, but it is a no go.
    I was going to suggest you get the eardrum punctured, but didn't want to scare you off. Apparently you are already aware, that may have to happen.
    Best wishes. I hope you will be well enough to enjoy Christmas.