December 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: December 2013

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ETA:

To Winter:  Well, I'll stop complaining out loud today, "I'm cold.  I'm cold, I'm cold, I'm cold."

To Miscricket:  It's in the 40's here.

[/QUOTE]

TT when I went out late yesterday afternoon, hubbie looked at the thermometer and announced that it was 42 degrees..lol. Not sure what it was that I was seeing earlier!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hats..thank you. I've missed this forum and need to make time for it. The last few months have been crazy busy between work and personal. It's nice to have some down time for a change though I do love to be busy.

Kar...my hubbie would sympathize with you and all the needle pinches and bruising. He wound up becoming severely anemic from an interaction with a blood thinner he was taking. They did a lot of tests on him and his arms still look pretty beat up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to see you back, Hats.  As for my back, I'm best when it's left alone.  I know that I can't lift over 10 lbs., yet I still do it on occasion, and pay the price.  It's pinchy again  this morning, but has lessened as I sit and get up several times.  The best treatment I have had in all this, including different P.T.s, was to get the SAS shoes and have inserts put in the heels to lift.

I'm staying away from the kitchen window this morning - 3 plump squirrels feasting on the seeds that drop - I know the hawk will spot them sooner or later, and I don't want to be around when it happens.

Just threw a white wash in and have a colored one ready to follow.  Included the lace design over cloth for my table so that will be sparkly clean for tomorrow's "tea".  I'm thinking of trying popovers - I'm not fond of them, but it's something guest likes.  Martha Stewart and Ina disagree on oven temp, oven rack, amount to put in muffin cups, and baking sequence.  Have any of you made them successfully?  I'll consider all suggestions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My bet is that either way would work - I would choose the simplest of the two recipes.  Popovers are indeed delicious but a bit fussy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good afternoon everyone. Hats, nice to have you back. I hope your shopping is successful today. I've made them in a popover pan and they still don't come out perfect looking but they tasted good. Preheated oven to 450, filled 1/2 way, cooked for 20 minutes, then decrease oven temp to 350 and cooked for 20 minutes more. Recipe I has calls for some melted butter on bottom of cups.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I'll try that.  Next question - one says to preheat the pan and to have eggs and milk at room temp  -  right?  Also, what rack in oven.  One says bottom, another middle.  So  you grease the pan (rub some butter on) and then put melted butter in the bottom also?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,

Couldn't post yesterday. Tried 3 times. Then gave up.  

What a wonderful town, you live in, Icer. That fallen town son will definitely get the hero's farewell, he deserve. I am sure, there will be no dry eye during the procession.

Good to know, you are back home safely, Hats. Hope you had a nice vacation.

Kar, what a terrible limbo you are living in. I just can't imagine yours and DH's worries. I am leaning towards the chatters, that suggested Meniere's. Until Thursday, try to stay away from sugar, alcohol and chocolate. My old boyfriend's father (yes it is a very long time ago) suffered from Meniere's, and a small pice of chocolate would make him bedridden for days.

tt, I make popovers all the time. They are easy. The trick is NOT to open the door, until they are done. you do need to prewarm the pan. I give them 15 minutes at 425, then 15 minutes at 350. When they get out I prlk them with a sharp knife to let out the steam. They are best hot, straight from the oven.

have a good Sunday, whatever is left of it.

ETA. 15 + 15 minutes are for the muffin pan size. 20 + 20 minutes will be too much, if you use a muffin pan. That's for a popover pan. Just wanted to clarify that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

delete/mistake

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I've never rubbed butter so I just use the melted butter. Pingo and my directions seem to be pretty close. Yes I forgot don't open the door, they will deflat and not look very nice...lol. I had that happen. I only have two racks (electric oven) and I out in top rack.

Nice to hear from you Pingo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We have Always used eggs room temp too...It is better for volume..IMO...popovers are a lot likwe cream puffs or eclaires,,,don't open the oven

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For 6 muffin tins - 1 cup flour, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp. salt and 1 cup milk?

Does that sound right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My recipe says 1/2 teaspoon salt and I'd use the eggs and milk at room temperature.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I just put a Harrow's chicken pie in the oven for dinner. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spaghetti and sauce here.

C.L. just emailed, should she bring up some donuts when she comes?? So, of course I had to tell her I was trying my hand at making some popovers, but if she wanted to bring something for a "back up", she could.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Now I get an email - - - "Do you have butter?"  She already brings up her own milk and tea bag when she comes - - -  I told her she can use margarine or jam when she's here and that I'll give her the leftover popovers to take home.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Why does she bring her own milk and tea bag? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have 1% milk, she uses non fat milk - I have plenty of decaf teas, she brings her own - the first time she came  up she brought 2 paper napkins!  I made her use one of my cloth ones!  I haven't heard back since I told her not to bring her butter.  -  Use what I prepare and offer when you're here.  I didn't say that to her, but that's what I think.  use what the hostess offers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree with you tt. My mom always told me to eat what is offered when you are at soneone's house. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think she is probably just trying to make less work for me - but anyway, I'll check her pockets at the door!  lol  She just emailed that she'll be up at 2:00.

Going to try to find something on TV.  Chat tomorrow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night tt. I'll take with you tomorrow. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

This will be SS's newest grandchild when the lil lady gets here... 7months old... they call her buttons but DD might change the name

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

SS button is a cutie. Congratulations on your new addition to your family. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, I wasn't able to dodge DH's flu.   Spend the last 2.5 days in bed through "violent" bouts of naseua etc.

Missed DH'S "All Cousins" party yesterday, but more importatnly it was his birthday and I couldn't do a thing.

Feeling more alive today, but am not going to work just in case.  Can't wait to kick 2013t he H$%L outta here!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning everyone, S.S. What a beautiful kitten! Does she have two different color eyes? I have a cousin with two different color eyes- one green and one light brown.  T.t., I've never made popovers, but now I want to! Icer, I've been following the media reports of your friend Daniel, and the plans for tomorrow. Makes my eyes well up. So sad. What a thoughtful community you have. I'm sure there will be a lot of coverage on t.v. tomorrow.My plan for today is laundry and ironing DH's shirts.IT's easy to get behind on the shirts because he has at least 50 of them (I'm not exaggerating- Hes a bit of a fashionista for a guy- same with his suits and ties and pocketsquares} I have the house to myself today so I'll find something good to watch and set up the ironing board in the living room. I used to send them out but he wears a suit every day, so it adds up,and I don't mind ironing. I'm having turkey soup for breakfast YUM. bgSmile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

SS...your new addition is adorable :-)