February 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: February 2014

I think there were 15 different restaurants there; so many different confections that at the end I was just taking one bit of each unless it was really good.  Altho I ate all the ice cream on offer too!  Some really yummy stuff, plus a table with hummus, veggies, olives, dolmades, pita, coffee/tea and a cash bar.  Good time!  So TT altho your confections look lovely I'll skip dessert until Sunday, when I go to a tea party...

Pingo I read your post about getting out in to the lovely day and said - she's right! so I did!  Library, a drink from Starbucks, and some recreational shopping - got two sweaters for $7 each, a plastic box with 18 tubes of gouache paint for $5 and a couple of valentine cards.  Fun!  Parked in the middle of the shopping center and walked (outside) from store to store...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, did you own a bakery in your past life? Those cup cakes look so professional and ---- delicious. I will take one of the ones w/ the raspberry swirl, please. Except for whipped cream, I have never made my own frosting. Shame on me, I know. Maybe your GD could teach me. My mother made the most wonderful rich butter frosting. It was light and kind of floating in our mouth, then disappearing. Tried her recipe several times, but for me it never panned out the same. There must be some kind of trick, I don't know about.

Just came back from my pedicure. I am floating on air. I tried a new place - at least to me - and it is just as good if not better, than the one I used to go to. And it is closer to home. She used hot stone massage, and it was just like heaven. Sorry for the plumbing problems, but maybe this was meant to be - for me at least. So much for getting stuck in the old grind.

But what a difference an hour made today weather wise. When I left from there, it was raw and cold.

Stopped at Hannaford to pick up a couple of steaks for tonight. Suddenly had such a craving for a steak. Maybe b/c I know, the next 5 days will be vegetarian. So at least, I know, I am loaded up on iron.

Have a good night everyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a great full day you had, Hats.  If I were you and were going to a tea party Sunday, I'd pass on my cupcakes and wait for that treat too.

Chicken soup for tomorrow is just about done.  Bought another of those Boule breads and have that in the oven to have tonight with some leftover vegetable soup that I doctored and stretched with some rigatoni and a few pieces of Swiss cheese on top.  Already sampled the raspberry frosting when I was fixing the cupcakes, and that is so good.  Don't know why I never thought of doing that before.  Bought blueberries that cost an arm and a leg today, with the thought of using some of them to make blueberry muffins for tomorrow morning, but if I know them they won't get here much before 11:00, and we eat between 12 and 1:00, so with popovers in the plan, no need for muffins beforehand.  I'm just so happy to have someone to cook and bake for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It's a good thing that I have leftovers for tonight because if I had to plan a meal and cook it I'd be bummed.  Tomorrow I'll try to think of something to take to the party on Sunday.  I have time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, what an experience, hats - sounds fabulous!  And, such a nice day of activities, too. 

Pingo, I made Ina Garten's buttercream frosting that comes with her recipe for chocolate cake - it was easy, creamy, and rich...I had never made any before and just followed the directions.  Nice you had a wonderful pedi and massage from a new place, definitely destiny. :)  I've never had a hot stone massage...sounds like you'd recommend.  

You've been a virtual Tazmanian Devil in the kitchen today, tt!  I'm sure all your hard work will be greatly appreciated.  Have you tried baking with frozen blueberries?  Thaw, drain...I'd think they'd end up being similar to fresh in baked goods.

DH had a meeting near a fish shack and brought me home fish and chips for dinner!  AND, Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup...omgosh, so good, but I blew the calorie budget right quick given I ate most of the huge fried dinner, a serving of ice cream, and washed it all down with a Sam Adams.  Worth it!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Butter cream - a stick of butter, a full box of confectioners sugar, a tsp or more of vanilla, milk or cream until it's the right consistency and that's all.  Heaven!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, that was nice of him.  I love fish and chips  Haven't had that in a while.  I'll tuck it away in the back of my mind.

Friend in Fla just called.  Her knee operation has been scheduled for next week, surgeon had a cancellation.  She'll be glad to have it over, but of course apprehensive.  She's had bum knees for years, bone rubbing on bone, so she knew this was in her future.  Said tonight it depends on how well she tolerates the pain as to whether or not she'll have the other knee done later.

Funny talking about Ina's recipes.  C.L. sent me up today Ina's recipe for cream puffs.  Boy, if reading that didn't have me drooling!

Soup is cooling and extra chicken that I stewed at the same time is in a separate container for the fridge.  Dishwasher is purring away.  I am beat.  Can't wait to get into my nightie and robe.  Hope I sleep tonight as good as last night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt. :)  He gave the surprise away so I drooled for 35 minutes before he got home and then wolfed down some fish as I put the rest on the toaster oven tray.  Maybe next time you're at Legal's with the girls?

DH is in your good company, tt, always drooling over Ina's creations!  He actually puts her show on and often asks me to make whatever she's doing.  I have made a few things, all delicious and made as-written.

Best to your friend - my dad has had both knees done and is currently recovering (therapy, now) from shoulder replacement surgery he had on Dec 4.  He's recovered nicely from all three (at least he's on track for the third).  He's 72 and diabetic.  I'm sure she'll get such relief she'll be eager to fix the other.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

GD just called to see if she could come over Monday after school to make the valentine wreath.  I had put a bug in her father's ear again today when I ran into him in S&S.  Glad she is coming, I was afraid she was outgrowing visiting Nana's.

My friend is in such pain now and unable to do anything (like bend her leg to put on stockings or shoes) that she feels too, that she will gladly have the second knee done.  Get through this one first.  Told her to be a good girl, she is apt to want to run things to the tune of her agenda.

OK, into the bedroom I go to change.  Need to sit on the comfortable couch with Cheerio and breath a sigh of relief that all's done and ready for tomorrow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I've noticed a new bug here.  Sometimes the posting 'box' does not appear - just a blue field.  Refreshing the page fixes it.

DH will be watching the Opening ceremony of the O games.  I'm wavering as to whether to watch with him and work on an Easter wreath, or just to read.  Easter is so late that there seems to be no urgency.  OTOH it would be nice to have one done and decide whether to make more.  I don't really want to make a St Patrick's decoration but do I want my door empty for such a long time? 

I am glad GD is coming to make the wreath on Monday.  Hope you'll post a picture...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, take heart, I never outgrew visits with Gramma, and talked with her at least 3 times a week until she passed away when I was 36.  

That is how my dad was before his knees got done.  He literally couldn't stand it.  I'm hopeful for your friend that her first recovery goes smoothly and she signs right up for #2.

hats, I get that bug all the time.  Also, if there is the http code <br> in the otherwise empty box I know to refresh until it goes away or whatever I try to post will poof into the ether never to be seen, again.

Speaking of Sochi, did you catch the rings snafu that only 4 of the 5 lit? And, the kicker is that Russian channels digitally filled in the light on the 5th ring so it appears to the Russian audience that all 5 were lit just fine.  And we think our media is biased!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I actually lived with my grandmother for a few years after my parents moved out of the city.  It was great and cheap, saved money that way and I was never around on the weekends so...it worked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Cold weather and all, joggers starting to go by again.  Hearty souls.

Easy morning ahead.  Don't know what the boys have planned when they get here.  I still have Christmas tree up.  Hoping they'll dismantle that and put it upstairs.  I have taken all the decorations off, but it's one of those that pull apart/put together in 3 sections, and I can't manage that going up the stairs.  I'm sure a little spin around the block in their new car will be in the plans too.

Hope everyone has a good day.  I'll check in later and see if anyone is on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

I've been trying to get on for 1.5 hours!  I kept getting as far as page 1 and then getting "backend read error" after hitting "Last" to get here.  I had hope when I saw someone else had posted that maybe whatever was messed up was corrected, and voila, here I am.

I actually just dismantled the tree last week...DH hates to see it go every year, but I'd had enough of the tree given it's February, lol.  I'm sure they'll whisk the tree down and out for you, tt.  New car?  Exciting!

Dh is among the hearty souls out there helping our neighbor with his snowmobile issues next door.  Then, he'll be taking Gracie for his ski.  Brrrr.  I'll manage the wood stove, thanks.

Happy weekend, everyone!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, I've been getting that backend error for a few days now.  I click on Boston.comfidentialChat in my bar at the top and it brings me back to the main forums page, and I start again.  I know there'a a virus in my computer and had thought it was that.  Glad to know it's not me but THEM.

Cooking up a little pasta that I add at the last minute to my soup, well, really add to the bottom of each bowl and then pour the soup over.  Keeps the pasta from absorbing the liquid and swelling.  Then just a salad to make, have some spinach to put in it too, and I'm all set.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

I hate to see our tree go as well. We definitely keep it up until after Epiphany - sometimes to the end of January. But we also set it up later than most. When the kids were young, Santa Claus  set the tree up on the 23rd after they went to bed. But now, we usually do it a week or so before Christmas.

I am sure your boys will take yours down, tt. A ride in their new car? That's exciting. Have a nice visit with them.

Temperature wise it is cold, but it is really not that bad out. I went out to fill the feeder, and the sun is very warm. Gracie and DH will have a great skiing trip.

Watched a tiny bit of Sochi last night. I loved the first several minutes showing Russia and it's nature. Gorgeous. Never realized Russia is so modern now. Too bad one has to worry about traveling these days.

Waiting for my cleaning crew to show up. Have a good day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been getting the backend read error a long time, too, but only once - if I refreshed it went away.  This time I got it over and over for over an hour!  I tried to get here by every possible path including from the very top down...???

Indeed, the sun is pleasant.  Nice we aren't getting a storm tomorrow after all.

Have you read the problems the press is having with their hotels in Russia? No water, or, if they have it, it's brown and comes with a warning, "do not use on face."  That's just one of the plethora of unlivable conditions.  My brother sent me a link to their tweets and it's at once funny and horrifying.  They put on a good facade.  In fact, did you hear they only got 4 of the 5 rings to light up, but Russian TV made the 5th one light up digitally (faked it entirely)?  The rest of the world knows about the snafu, but no Russians unless they were actually there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's that Washington Post article re Sochi.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/04/journalists-at-sochi-are-live-tweeting-their-hilarious-and-gross-hotel-experiences/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I had seen an interview of a woman showing the bathroom, when she wiggled the tub it wiggled and moved, didn't even look as tho it was connected, looked like a plastic overlay.  Don't know that I would appear on TV showing all the defects while I were still there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd not underestimate the possibility of an "accident," either; these reporters have a false sense of security imo having been born and raised in a society of free speech.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I agree with you 100%.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's fabulous in every way is what they'd hear from me!

DH just left with Gracie.  I hope she obeys him around the snowmobiles...sigh.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I forgot. Thank you Hats for the easy butter cream recipe. Will give it a whirl. Our guest is a chocoholic - or so is our UK son tells us - so I have decided to make Wowie cupcakes for her. A butter cream frosting will add heights to them. In taste, I mean. Was thinking of which flavor to use? Peppermint? Or maybe I should just stick to Vanilla.

Last night I made a ginger/chocolate ice cream. Oh, was it ever good. I did the chocolate ice cream, then at the last minute I added some leftover ginger preserves. OMG - the best. Never realized ginger would go so well with chocolate.

Was so worried about the predicted storm tomorrow. She will be driving from NY with a friend. But my prayers were heard. Storm won't be here until Monday.

This morning's video was baby getting a bath. She was so enjoying it and so alert.  I am so in awe of all the new technology. Wish we had that, when our boys were born. When you have relatives living far away - this technology is such a blessing.

Going to the new place for my pedicure yesterday, I found, that Carter has opened a store in the same plaza. Didn't know, it existed. So, I do believe it was truly destiny for me. Guess where I will spend a lot of time? Didn't have time to stop by yesterday, but I will in the next few days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chocolate dipped candied ginger is a long time favorite of mine, Pingo - excellent discovery!  Any ice cream left?  ;)  

Yes, we keep up with our out of state family that way, too; we just got a video of the relavent portions of their piano recital.  Sweet!  Babies are adorable in the bath splashing around and squealing with delight.

Carters makes such cute, well made clothes...enjoy your shopping!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Kar, the ice cream is to be saved for our guest. If anything left, I will be more than happy to put it on dry ice and send it to you. DH and I are not much for chocolate. But now with the ginger added, we might just be. This was really, REALLY good.

Wowie cupcakes is in the oven as we speak/post. She will want the recipe, I am sure, as she is a vegetarian and does not eat eggs, unless they are "hidden". Pastry, cakes and such. But her family do not eat eggs at all. Thanks to you, tt, finding this recipe in your box, it has become a valulabe addition to my "box". And now it will be going overseas. Wish I could give proper credit for it.

Yes, I was so happy to find the Carter store. Our sons grew up in Carter. I have seen the brand on and off at Costco, but imagine having an entire smorgas board full of it?

The cleaners arrived. Better go and check on them.