February 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: February 2014

If I'm not mistaken Pingo, grandparents get an extra discount at Carters on Wednesdays. The rewards club is worth signing up for too - always sending 20% and 30% off coupons. Definitley my favorite brand for LO clothes.  Oh, and my two cents on PJs is that it is worth the extra $ to get the ones that zip.  All those snaps are a lot to deal with in a sleep deprived haze.

Where is the pic of Pumpkin? Did I miss it?  I saw the pic of the cupcakes and they looked delicious.  Any leftovers?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You did - miss pumpkin's pic.  Left it up for a few days and then took down, just in case.  No leftovers of anything.

Ran out and got the stuff to use on the cards for pumpkin and bro.  Slim pickins.  Seems as tho A.C. Moore has a larger selection.  Worth running over there for embellishments a couple of months ahead of time.  Anyway, I'll do what I can.  Got some sock monkeys, and a race car strip, and with the odds and ends I have here should be able to put 2 together.  Wrote the littlest one's poem yesterday, but now have to drum up pumpkin's.

Candy and bags bought too, so I'm all set to sit here and put things together.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yeah, I do prefer Michaels for that stuff but I mostly buy when they put everything on deep deep discount.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I found that a strip I bought in Michael's today for $1.49 (cheap by comparison to the rest I bought) I then saw in Target for 99cents.  Could have gone back across the street with it, but not worth it.  My hips said, "No no.  We've been moving for over an hour now.  Home, James."  haha

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad you got little pumpkin's poem done, that's so special that you do that for them. Tomorrow is my thrid anniversary, which is leather. So as strange as it sounds I got DS a new pair of Nike sneakers. He already has a new wallet, belt and a 2-year old leather jacket. Since DS is with his dad tonight we are going out to dinner tonight, I do'nt know where, a surprise I guess. I've had trouble posting today, so hope this works. If I'm unable to get on again - have a good night everyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Anniversary celebration night, Winter.  Nice he's arranged dinner at a surprise restaurant.

I'm having ravioli, I think.  Munched when I got home so am not really hungry yet to think about it.  Same thing yesterday, GD was here til 6:00, so threw my supper later than usual.  She'd eaten cookies all afternoon so didn't want anything to eat.

Enjoy tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Im making a big salad with carrot and apple and craisins and cheese....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, I should be over in the craft thread for this, but am wondering, do you use the paper doily background for all of your wreaths regardless of topic?  I'm thinking of the one I'm toying with making for my friend, the sailboat, coastline, lighthouse one.  Someone doilies do not seem to be fitting for a background.

BTW, your salad sounds delicious.  I had the ravioli, some fresh spinach, and a little of the baked beans G.T. brought down.  Smokey flavor, good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No, TT, I do not use the doilies for all of them.  For the xmas ones, I painted the forms first with off-white latex paint from some samples I had on hand.  Then I just built up more and more layers of stars, large ones at the back, smaller ones at the front.  I used 5 different sizes of stars.  I used 6 sizes of cut out hearts, plus the punched hearts, the foam hearts and the plastic heart jewels.  

If I were going to make a St Pat's day one, I would paint it with a yellowy-white paint (as opposed to a beigy-white) and then put the shamrocks on.  (But I'm not going  to.)  I'm thinking whether to try an easter-egg themed one or just use the wreath I made last year which was a totally different technique.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So for the seaside one I could do a foam green background and then glue on the different cut outs.  Somehow I thought the foam whatever would absorb paint and wrinkle or warp.

She's a lighthouse fanatic too.  If I could find an inexpensive calendar of lighthouses, and use those pictures to make a wreath, that would really tickle her.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The foam is sandwiched between white paper.  Those themes sound wonderful.  You could use acrylic paint of course, I just used the latex because i had a ton of it that I got from Freecycle.  I also painted the pine cones that I used to decorate the bows the same color as the background.  You could also add shells, beach glass (which you can buy at Michaels in a bag) so many things - once you get thinking about it, it will come to you....and calendars generally go on sale for cheap cheap in a month or two so keep checking....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the extra ideas.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

Had more trouble today...argh!  Hope you had a fun, romantic dinner and evening, Winter!

Just about to turn in, just wanted to say I'm here and still alive. :)

g'night

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Glad it was BDC and not you feeling punk again!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

What were you doing up and at the computer at 3:00 in the morning, Hats?  I was up myself at 2 something, heard a helicopter going overhead.  Laid there a bit, and by the time I got up and looked out, it had passed by.  Unusual at night.  Did go and open the front door, and was rewarded with a beautiful clear sky full of stars!  Can't remember the last time I looked up and actually had a clear view of some bright, some twinkling in the distance, stars.  An unexpected smile.

Spoiler alert ****** another craft question ***** which I'm sure you are all sick of, but just got news Newton DIL is coming down Sunday with little Lilly, and her step bro and sis (13 and 18).  Wonderful for me as far as cooking/baking, I'll make my Irish lasagna, salad, popovers (hope they come out this time!) probably an apple crisp for dessert plus either some whoopie pies or another batch of multi frosted cupcakes, and make up a cookie dough batch if Lilly wants to make them after.  But, and here comes the alert *** Hats, you know what a zigzag piece is left after cutting out 2 wreaths from the foam - didn't know they were coming when I was at Dollar Store yesterday, or I'd have picked up another piece.  Guess I didn't go down that aisle anyway, so - but my question, any suggestions I could give them for something to decorate out of the scraps?  If not, I may run up to the dollar store again - really need to attend to stuff around this house. Thanks.  I seem to be turning to you, my latest craft magazine (haha) all the time for ideas!

Your company leaves today, I believe, Pingo.  Are you still planning on flying out tomorrow or Friday?  Weather permitting -

Kargiver, sorry you are having such a time getting in.  Is it getting in or posting?  Just when you think they have some problems solved, they crop up again.

Printed out kids poems last night and frustrated because even tho I set the spacing at 1.0, they came out double spaced, making the pages much too long for card stock I want to use.  Wonderful Google - asked, "How can I get single spacing on Wordpad?" and back came a page of answers from others who had asked before me.  The simplest reply was, "Involves using one more key, but at the end of each line, instead of just hitting "enter", hit "ctrl and enter".  It works!  So simple.  Posting it in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

This post is long enough to hold me all day, I believe - but no promises!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. We went to the Hardcover, which we've gone to before and we enjoyed it. After getting home last night I threw up :( Not sure what it could have been, only maybe my steak seasoning or that it was too rare? Though it can never be too rare for me.

tt, just to make sure I'm correct and following, Lily is the one who broke her arm, right? The one that goes to OLA is the one that made the wreaths with you the other day? I don't have an answer for your WORD pad question as I think it's different than WORD. For WORD you would highlight your text, right click go to paragraph than make the line spacing single.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I fell asleep very early last night (8:45) and woke at 2:30.  Got up and read, had decaf tea, etc, and went back to sleep from 5 to 7:15.  So that worked out ok!

Now I have stripped the bed and am washing the mattress pad - it's heavily padded and I have one of those machines that varies the wash time according to the load weight and what you tell it about the soil level, so it won't be ready for the dryer for over an hour.

Concerning the left over pieces - Do you have round middle pieces from the interior of the wreath?  I use those for my little nieces to decorate as wreaths...are the other pieces big enough that you could trace shamrock shapes and let them paint green and decorate with "Erin Go Bragh" or "Happy St Pat's" type slogans?  Easter Egg shapes?  Bunnies? Carrots?  Easter Lily flowers? Daffodils?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I wonder what the sickness was all about ?  Do you feel OK today?  Doesn't seem anything to do with your meal would have happened quite that fast.  I haven't been to the hardcover in years, but of course, I do not drive at night, and I don't think they are open for lunch.  My remembrance is that they always had good food.

Yes, you have the GDs correct, Winter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I have no idea what it was about. I'm ok now, once that happaned my stomach was still upset so I laid down and read my kindle and doozed off. The steak was very good. I feel ok today.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies - yup, I'm ok, just frustrated with bdc.  It's both, getting in and then getting rid of the HTML code in the box that halts posting.  I've exited, rebooted, gone down numerous paths...it just randomly lets me in sometimes!

No need to warn us about the crafting ideas and questions, tt - it's interesting to me; my grandmother crafted everything they had! She was also a seamstress (she could make her own patterns from fashion magazine photos of the latest trends so my mother always got to wear very good knock offs, lol) and she taught cake decorating.  I have it in my blood, I guess, so I'm drawn to it.  

Speaking of which, I'm working up the gumption to start work on the second teapot...we'll see if it sets my neck healing back.  And, I got a good deal on 18" feather pillows for the couch to crochet covers for.  I'm far more eager to do that project since it's not so tiny and will take less staring downward.

Looks like so far so good today so more later after I get caught up...breakfast is ready.

Stay warm!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I answered you, Hats, and it went poof.

GD took the round circles home with her to draw on.  If I'd been thinking (not to swift on the uptake it seems) I'd have trimmed the rest up and sent that home with her too.  Guess I was more thinking some shape I could cut, since they aren't big enough for a wreath, that Lilly at least could hang up when she got home. Maybe her older sister will be ready with an idea, she paints, sketches.  I have paints, markers, etc. here.

Delicious breakfast of crisp bacon, fried egg, and two slices of oatmeal toast with cream cheese - and of course, hot, hot coffee.

I'm looking at the house and thinking, who is this slob that lives here?  Nothing's put away, and I was never one for leaving clutter around anywhere.  Have to get the cards put together first, then the other gd's bags of candy so their father hopefully, can pick up Friday on his way home from work.  And, I want to run out to the store for some things.

Just looked out the window and realize I haven't seen my little friend in the branches for a couple of days now.  I'll have to check the holly berry shrub and see if I see him flitting around there.  Used to use that as shelter during snowstorms.

Off and running now, and at least get dressed so I'll be more apt to get a move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up.  Good to see you back, Kargiver.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Just a short "hi, I am still here". Having a fabulous time with our guest. She is such a lovely person. Feel my life has been enriched by meeting her. Unfortunately, she is leaving this afternoon.

Haven't read through all the posts yet, but I will later. Hope all is well with everyone.

Have a good day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you and your son's friend have hit it off, Pingo.  Nice to meet someone who brings joy into our lives.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Valentines are made and in the mail slot.  And the boxes of candy for GD and her bro and a little one for my little visitor from next door, are filled and ready -

Now to fill the feeder and clean the house.  Skipping any grocery shopping today.