February 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2014

Did get out this morning and stopped by the library on the way back.  They don't have Alice Hoffman's new book yet, but put me on the waiting list, but the Baldacci newest one was on their shelves, so I brought that home with me.  "The Hit".  Enjoy his writing.

As I was about heading home the wind had picked up and was swirling the snow around.  Now  looking out the street is covered and looks slushy.  Will be a messy commute home for drivers, I think.  

Made a nice chicken salad plate for my lunch, and finished off the apple "crisp" with a swirl of whipped cream.

Cheerio has gone to her napping place, under the comforter in here.

Nice you are getting to Fla, Hats.  Hope you are there during sunny, warm weather.

ETA:  corrected name of book to "The Hit"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mag strips I've been folding while watching Dr. Phil.  tearing our all pages with mostly green color to make a St. Paddy's Day bowl (or flower pot! haha)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well TT you certainly are going to town with the crafts while I am dialing them back for a while because other work is heating up!  Will be interested to see how it comes out...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Won't be for a while.  I have exhausted all the "green" pages in my mags.  Emailed G.T. to tear out his such pages while he's watching TV - he just threw a slew of magazines out with the trash last week.  I'm at a stop, have even torn out this month's supply.  I'm just determined to get an actual "bowl".  Need a LOT more strips, and need to start pulling up sides further, leaving a broader base.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Our backyard is a winter wonderland. It is still snowing a bit here, but the radar says it is almost over in this area. Out your way, Kar, it must have stopped already.

Now, what is everyone having for dinner tonight? For us maybe tortellini pasta with chicken tenders or TJ's Mandarin chicken with rice. I could also make cabbage soup. I have 1/2 head of cabbage and a bunch of carrots plus tomatoes. Still time to decide.

Spent the afternoon cleaning out the ref. There were bits of everything, but not enough for a meal for the both of us. Except for the cabbage and the carrots, the rest of the leftover veggies went down the disposal. They had seen better times. A large unopened tray of blueberries went into the freezer.

And people think it is easy to go on vacation? There is a lot more to it than setting the alarm and turning the key. Have a good evening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A fried egg and cheese sandwich topped with ketchup, and a cup of coffee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you are really on a roll crafting. Is the mod-pod or whatever you use for the pots water tight? The green bowl/pot will be pretty. I visualize it holding clover cookies sprinkled with green.

In order to make a wider bowl, you need to make a flat base - maybe 4 - 5 inches wide, before you start pulling up the strips. To make it easier to keep it as a base w/o it unraveling, you can mod-pod the base and let it dry, before adding more strips and start pulling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

tt, you are really on a roll crafting. Is the mod-pod or whatever you use for the pots water tight? The green bowl/pot will be pretty. I visualize it holding clover cookies sprinkled with green.

In order to make a wider bowl, you need to make a flat base - maybe 4 - 5 inches wide, before you start pulling up the strips. To make it easier to keep it as a base w/o it unraveling, you can mod-pod the base and let it dry, before adding more strips and start pulling.

[/QUOTE]

Very good suggestion.  I knew I needed a wider base, but never thought of mod podging the base separately.  Now I've just got to put in a few calls to friends for their mags.  I would not wet the mod podge.  I'm sure it's not water proof.  My little "pot" is holding Werther's candies, and GD's is holding school tokens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

DH had a meeting so close to home that he went to that and then returned and worked from home.  It snowed hard starting at 8:30 and just stopped about 30 minutes ago.  DH is plowing again!

Hats, I agree, I have that feeling all the time when we go out (except to the place we went for V's Day - seriously gourmet).  I've never been to 5 Guys.  I like Fudds, but there's not one near us.  We talked about going to Red Robin with SIL and her DH soon; there's one in Millbury that's out her way.

Pingo, loved clothes shopping vicariously for Princess Pingo. Can you even stand the wait?!  Hoping DH's hearing is improving every few days, now.

Winter, hope you are feeling better.  Migraine gone?  Did you make it to class that night?

tt, my SIL is considering getting a cat after having housed her DD's for awhile and now misses her.  I think of her when I read Cheerios stories, now.  I hope she gets a good one like her.

Princess, always good to see your posts - we all hope you are still feeling well and continuing toward your health goals.

We're having baked gluten-free panko breaded chicken tenders that have been marinating 24 hours in our home cultured sour cream with thyme and baked potatoes from the garden.  Baby arugula and celery salad to go with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Baked white sweet potatoes, broccoli, chicken cordon bleu.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cabbage soup and grill cheese sandwiches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We had grilled cheese last night.  Tomorrow we will have quesadillas aka Mexican grilled cheese.  Fast and easy does it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds good, my dears!

I forgot about the salad I'd bought, panicked that there was nothing green, and heated frozen TJ's veggie mix to serve with the baked potatoes and chicken.  Well, now I can surprise DH with chicken tender salad for his lunch tonorrow, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. I'm at work today. Due to DH's procedure yesterday I did have to shovel and I've done something to my forearm, it hurts doing anything and nothing. May be calling the doctor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just came in from trying to break up ice with a hammer, that's formed by dripping icicles on the top of my bulkhead, which in turn is leaking down into the cellar.  Mess, mess, mess.  Going out now to clear front and then i'll go down cellar and see if it's still dripping.  Gutters, like everyone else's are overflowing and iced.  If sun hit the back at all, it would help, but sun never hits the walk or roof, except for the corner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh dear, this weather is causing such problems for everyone.  TT, you be careful out there!  Winter, I hope some anti-inflammatories will help you and you don't need any other treatments.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back in to sit a while.  Was still dripping through bulkhead top, so chopped some more.  I have a bucket under  it, so will wait til the dryer has stopped and I have to go down to take out the clothese, before going down again.  Got the front shoveled and car cleared, pretty much. Footsteps coming up to my front door, can't imagine who or when, unless someone came while I was out back and I didn't hear them.  If I could only teach Cheerio to bark!  lol

WBZ says rain coming in by 2:00.  After an hour or so I'll finish up some more out back and try to get the bulkhead shoveled off.  Don't want to tempt fate by doing too much at once.

Think I'll heat up a piece of lasagna for lunch and then have a light supper.

Hope your arm is feeling better, Winter.  When you get home if you  have Icy Hot or Tiger Balm or one of those creams, rub it in good.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

This has been a bad winter as far as roofs and ice dams are concerned. We have already gotten so many calls for roof inspections, it is a full time job for one of our employees right now. Even our own office roof was leaking a bit, and we had a brand new roof installed last spring. But water is such, it has it's own ways. And sometimes it is impossible to find the problem. It is one of those things, we have to deal with in New England during bad winters.

Sorry, you have to deal with such a mess, tt. But at least you know, from where it is coming. Be careful out there. Tomorrow is going to be warmer. Maybe that will be a better day to take care of it. Can you put a bucket under the drips in the meantime? How about throwing some ice melting crystals on the ice to make a dent in some of it?

Too bad about your arm, Winter. Did you try a couple of Motrin? 2 every 6 hours. Hope you are feeling better as the day goes by, and that DH's procedure went well yesterday.

Getting ready to go to the office. Have a couple of things to take care of there. Will try to leave early. Have to get up at 3:30am tmw. morning. Ugh!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You must be itching to get on that plan for TX, Pingo.  Do you have all the little treasures you bought for the baby packed?  Hope they will let you post a picture.  How long are you planning on staying?

Ice melt is down along the base of the bulkhead to do its work, I hope.  Can see I'll have to have the gutters caulked, I'm sure this heavy ice has pulled them away somewhat.  No inside leaks as yet.  G.T. is watching over a  house for friends who are away, who just had a new roof put on this Fall, and already there are buckets placed strategically for leaks. Like you say, N.E. winters.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"How about throwing some ice melting crystals on the ice to make a dent in some of it?"

Doesn't that chemical stuff eat away at the roof shingles?  I heard the best way was to have the heat coils,wiring installed along the gutters, with an off/on switch inside, for weather like this.

Probably costs a few bucks though Undecided 

The other option is to attack the snow with a roof rake early on, even clearing a foot or two away from the edge can make a big difference and avoid problems.

Flat roofs, you have no choice, have to clear the snow before it gets too heavy.

Motrin?  Please...why bother (yuck).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Add us to those dealing with the pile-o-ice from dripping problem...there's a huge mountain of ice right where Gracie goes in and out the back door.  DH cleared off the roof as much as he could, but it's happening right at the chimney where it obviouly warms and melts the snow...not much he can really do without clearing it all off every time...not possible.  

I'm thinking of joining you, tt, out there with the hammer, but I'm afraid of getting to the granite and taking a chunk of that out.  

Winter, if you can stand the extreme burn (as in, "omgosh, I'm dumb enough to be purposefully giving myself a chemical burn," pain) get Salonpas Hot with capsaicin.  I've been using it, breathing through the burn, quite happily on my neck and shoulders.  It really works on tight muscles if you can handle the branding iron effect, lol.

Pingo, tomorrow's the big day!!  Looks like excellent, warm weather is on tap for your trip.  Have fun getting ready. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I had arranged a pretty clever device, but with snow removal from the bulkhead previously, it must have slipped out of place - along the top of the bulkhead door, laid a piece of an old shower curtain liner, and then put one of the kids' old bats on top to hold it in place.  Drips from the gutters fell on that and went no further.

I've always been a hammer girl, loosening ice in drainpipes etc.  You do what you have to do to take care of the problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, maybe next winter, you should get yourself a tarp to cover the entire bulkhead, and have one of your sons help you fasten it securely. They come in different sizes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re:  melting the snow on the roof, fill an old pair of your pantyhose (or, if you don't own any, borrow some) with calcium chloride snow melt and lay it across the dam. 

It will help to melt the dam and also keep that area of the roof clear.  DO NOT USE ROCK SALT... it will stain the roof and siding!  BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE 'cause if the dam is too big you may increase the pool of water behind it!  Best for small dams or prevention.  Also a good idea to scrape the snow off the roof first.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, we've done that  other years, but it's a nuisance when you're trying to shovel off the bulkhead.  This little device actually worked well, until when clearing it one of the storms this year it got dislodged and then snowed again before I could get out there and fix it.  Oh, well, how many more days til Spring?  lol