July 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

July 2012

There you go TT..July has begun
    C'mon in..the water is fine

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: July 2012

http://www.wickedlocal.com/needham/news/x2067835488/Needham-Police-larceny-suspects-posed-as-town-employees#axzz1zUVBEIbR
     Word to the wise, don't answer your door to anyone you don't recognize.  Call the police if you see a stranger in your backyard, don't approach them.  
    Don't you think your son would have told you if someone was coming by.     http://hamden.patch.com/articles/water-company-scam-hits-hamden    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20101202-roofing-scam-targets-elderly-residents-in-east-dallas-nearby-towns.ece   
    I just found these with a quick search, but I'm sure there is a lot more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The French Press came out in the 80s, been there, done that.  
    Grinded the beans etc,  IMO the Farberware Electric Percolator is better! 
    Hotter and stronger coffee. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Obbieite   If your dr thinks you need a statin, you may want to ask him if prescription niacin is an option instead,  drs have returned to prescribing this effective medication due to many people being unable to tolerate the side effects of statins.  
    This is my opinion based on personal experience, not to be mistaken for professional medical advice. 
    I am not a dr, nor do I play one on tv or the internet!      
    PS: There is a thread regarding statins in "Health and Wellness" that I bumped up. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@SS    http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/living/living_with_squirrels.htm#damage First of all I hope you have a cap on your chimney (very important). As long as you feed the birds you will attract squirrels, rodents and other wildlife.

You can get squirrel proof feeders but there is still plenty of seed on the ground to attract them.
     I stopped feeding the birds about a decade ago after a squirrel attempted to move into my attic by chewing threw a thick electrical wire causing smoke and the fire dept. to break down a door.

Oh and homeowners insurance does not cover damage done by rodents, squirrels are considered rodents.

http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/wildlife/index.php?subject=Mammals&id=24     
    The birds don't need to be fed all year, they do fine on their own according to Mass. Audubon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Obbieite  Did my own research, read books by Robert Kowalski...."The 8-Week Cholesterol Cure" started taking EndurActin 500 mg [long acting] twice a day with effective results and no side effects. Initially they do lab work every few months to make sure you don't have elevated LFT's [liver function tests], also Niacin can cause glucose levels to rise in some people.
         Diet will only do so much, some people just make too much cholesterol in the liver, tends to be genetic. www.endur.com 
      Been taking this for over 10 years,  several friends on it (one is an MD).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.amazon.com/8-Week-Cholesterol-Cure-Percent-Deprivation/dp/0060914718 
          @Obbieite This is the book I recommend.  I think you can pick up a copy for about $1.50.  It's a few years old but everything still applies. 
    There are recipes in it too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Obbieite You're welcome, it will tell you what supplements work,  for instance vitamin C helps lowers cholesterol.

A lot of people can take a low dose of Lipitor for years and are fine,  I lasted 3 months and followed this book and went on Niacin, and then you tweak things, I don't take everything he recommends.

Over a decade now my chlolesterol runs about 170 sometimes lower. 
    I don't eat red meat but I eat fish, chicken, egg whites, a lot of salad,veggies,fruit, chickpeas, potatoes, pasta etc

I don't eat sweets or dairy.   Hope this isn't too much info.

Good luck,  and if the Niacin agrees with you maybe your dr will prescribe it so you don't have to pay for it.

Ps:  Dr Kowalski came out with another book after this one and my friend tells me he made some minor changes regarding supplements  http://www.amazon.com/The-New-8-Week-Cholesterol-Cure/dp/0061031763/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3  
    I mostly went by the first book, and I never took coenzyme Q10 (too expensive)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I take 1000mg of Vitamin C  at the same time with Fish oil 1000mg  along with vitamin E 400iu all twice a day,    then at a different time I take a Calcium 600mg with vitaminD, along with Magnesium 250mg and endur-actin 500mg (sustained release niacin) I take all these twice a day also.

When I have oatmeal I just sprinkle cinnamon on it. 
    I eat bread, rice, potatoes probably more than I should but my glucose is good and I don't have a weight problem.

I don't care for yogurt but they have non-fat unsweetened, you could put fruit in it. 
    Hummus is fine.

Through trial and error you'll find what works for you.

Oh, I forgot I take two aspirin every day too!

They have soy milk and non-fat milk and stuff I just don't care for it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Obbieite   Some town halls, senior centers, local hospitals offer free cholesterol testing occasionally, I would take advantage of that if it's available because even after one month of the niacin regime, you may be pleasantly surprised, which will motivate you to continue.  
    Green leafy vegetables are a good source of calcium, and of course walk as much as you can, keep moving.  
    PS:  glucose and BP checks are usually offered too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Where's tt??Not much new going on here.  Getting into the swing of things in my new job, and am really enjoying it.  Tillie's coming along with her training too!Amber, hope you are healing well and adjusting to being home.  Hopefully it will get easier for you every day.Hopefully we will also hear from Tulips, hoping her DH is okay!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I'm around, Princess, tho not yesterday, was out early for a dental appt. then over to my GF's.  Lately my posts seem to pop up in the middle of other people's conversations.  I erased one that did that, interrupted the flow.  This one will probably do the same - Obbieite and Pingo and SS have some common things they are discussing. 

Yesterday I did post a site down in The Commoners - a great site on Youtube where someone had put together clips of Rita Hayworth (and other stars) dancing - and put them all together in a video to the Bee Gee's "Stayin Alive".  It's great.  A lot of you on this thread probably never heard of her, Fred Astaire and others, but there are a few, Pingo perhaps, mm, Obbieite, who might be of the age to remember those movies and the beauty Rita Hayworth was.  It's a great clip if any of you want to view it.  Happy way to start your day.  Make sure your sound is turned on (mine is off except when I know I'm going to be listening to something like this).

Busy day today for me.  I definitely will give a look/see later to hear about Winter's few days away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good steamy morning, everyone!

I hope tt had a great day galavanting, not sick or anything, to keep her offline.

Pingo, I haven't been to Santarpios in about, let's see, it was 1994 or 5 so 18 years?!  That pizza was unforgettable, though, and now I'm craving a slice or two.  Cleanse is over tomorrow, but Santarpios is too far for me to go to break it, lol.  You didn't have the clams?  Too bad!  I used to dig them at my father's cabin in Rockland, Maine when I was little and have them for dinner every night we were there.  Couldn't get fresher than that!  There were a few times Red Tide kept us from doing so but other than that they were safe and delicious.

mm, too bad about the pots on the porch; one assumes those will be protected.  You must have gotten deluged.  Sounds like a nice time in Falmouth.

Princess, are you taking Tillie to classes?  Glad to hear she's fitting in nicely with the family.

We got a little more rain last night.  Enough to keep things from dying, but we need more so badly...

I've got to pick the berries when they dry off.  Then, the house needs dusting.  I did most of the floors yesterday.  And, DH asked for a carrot/turnip whip and beets for dinner so I'll harvest and prepare those for dinner and his lunch tomorrow.  Got to start freezing the tomatoes since the canning operation is not yet in place.  They are coming, ready or not!

Will post some photos later today.  I'm disappointed I can't use the iPad to do that since the program necessary to do so doesn't run on it (thanks to msobstinate for alerting me to the problem).  But, will use the laptop which now seems gigantic, heavy, and bulky, lol.

Have a great day, all!

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I posted already on the new thread. Had trouble to open up the actual forum (took forever), but when I was in, I was in and can switch around w/o any problem. Looks like they are doing some maintenance.

Kar, you already have so many tomatoes, that you have to start freezing them? I have some small green ones, but not a single red one yet. I am envious. Good girl finishing the cleanse. Did you reach your goal weight? Don't you have to break the fast/cleanse in a certain way? When I do my juice fast, I have 3 + days, where I can only eat certain things, but I can chew them. The first is a baked sweet potato, and boy am I looking forward to that.
    mm, it sounds like you have a nice trip planned. Are you coming back the same day? It is not a long trip, but usually a bumper to bumper one. I have a girlfriend living close to Falmouth. I usually spend a couple of days with her, when DH is travelling.  But I have never come back the same day. Rt. 6 is impossible in the evening. My newly planted hydrangeas took a beat during the last rain storm, but they have come back nicely. I hope your patio plants do the same.
    Princess, it is good to hear you are happy in your new position. Nice you had a chance to change.
    We are supposed to get some rain this morning. I am waiting for it. Our yard could definitely use some.
    Hope to see your post later, tt - too bad you had trouble this morning. I am also looking forward to hear from Amber and Winter's trip.
    - Pingo

ETA. This post did not post right away. I took almost 2 minutes. I was just waiting and doing something else in the meantime. Patience is a virtue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Ok, so I made a nice long post and it didn't post  :( 

Amber, so good to hear from you and I hope with your daughter's assistance recovery is moving along. 

Amish country was very quaint.  I took a couple of pictures of horse and buggies right beside us.  We took a buggy tour around some of the country side and later an old steam train ride.

Gettysburg was amazing...all those Memorials.  We did see the exact spot where Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address; there is now a Soldier’s Memorial on it, which was donated by the state of KY to honor their favorite son (Lincoln was born there).  It was moving to see, but I was moved more when I viewed the Arizona Memorial, I think oil is still seeping into Pearl Harbor.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sounds like you had a very nice trip, Winter. Now back to reality and these annoying boards.
    BDC is so very slow to connect to and post to today. If you had waited 45 - 60 seconds, your post would eventually have posted. At least, that is what has been happening to me. I got a prompt (see the other thread) and believe BDC is doing some maintenance.

In Response to Re: July 2012:
    [QUOTE]Ok, so I made a nice long post and it didn't post  :(  Amber, so good to hear from you and I hope with your daughter's assistance recovery is moving along.  Amish country was very quaint.  I took a couple of pictures of horse and buggies right beside us.  We took a buggy tour around some of the country side and later an old steam train ride. Gettysburg was amazing...all those Memorials.  We did see the exact spot where Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address; there is now a Soldier’s Memorial on it, which was donated by the state of KY to honor their favorite son (Lincoln was born there).  It was moving to see, but I was moved more when I viewed the Arizona Memorial, I think oil is still seeping into Pearl Harbor.  
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh no I got an error message when I posted :( 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you had such a good time, Winter, and it was worth the long drive. :) Pingo, DH took a risk this year with the early Spring warm weather and started the tomatoes in a cold frame he built about 3 weeks earlier than usual. They are producing like mad. We have about 20 plants so tons are coming, and by the time I get canning there will still be plenty to practice on, lol. Your tomatoes are at the right stage for this time of year assuming you planted them at the normal time, around Memorial Day. We risked not getting a killing freeze because the weather had been so unseasonably warm for such a long stretch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We planted ours the Sunday after Memorial Day. Your DH took a big risk. I do remember now, how people lost their plants, they had already set out. Good they are producing well, so you will have a lot to practice on.

In Response to Re: July 2012:
    [QUOTE]Glad you had such a good time, Winter, and it was worth the long drive. :) Pingo, DH took a risk this year with the early Spring warm weather and started the tomatoes in a cold frame he built about 3 weeks earlier than usual. They are producing like mad. We have about 20 plants so tons are coming, and by the time I get canning there will still be plenty to practice on, lol. Your tomatoes are at the right stage for this time of year assuming you planted them at the normal time, around Memorial Day. We risked not getting a killing freeze because the weather had been so unseasonably warm for such a long stretch.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, he did, but he also relied on the cold frame for some protection, and that did the trick. Your plants are producing right on track for when they were planted and will do really well, I'm sure. Gracie is fresh and clean having been to the dog wash this morning. Oh, you asked about my weight, Pingo - I've lost 7 lbs, and the cleanse is over tomorrow. I'm 4 lbs from my ultimate weight goal (being able to zip up my wedding dress), and dh will be starting his cleanse in another week. I'll follow the diet with him loosely and will reach my target about the time he's done. However, my SIL and her family will be here Saturday, and I'm looking forward to the pizza dinner out that we've planned. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

7 lbs? That is great, Kar. The benefit of a cleanse is not really weight loss, even though it is a nice benefit. I hope you feel like a million bucks, when you are done. I always do. My skin and eyes are brighter; so is my thinking and I have a bunch more energy. Just too lazy to get started, I guess. Besides it is difficult, at least for me, when I have another mouth to feed. DH will be probably be travelling mid August, so I have time to get myself in gear. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, yeah, I do feel great, and it has been extra hard this time since dh and I are not doing the cleanse together like we usually do. But, at the same time, he's very happy to eat this way, anyway, and hasn't been chowing down on bread, potato, red meat, etc, that is off limits for me. It's finally pouring here, yay! Thunder, lightning, rain, and no hail yet...hopefully, the garden will get super soaked with no hail.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm headed home.  I'm seeing Annie at the North Shore Music Theater tonight.  I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.  Have a good night everyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have fun!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Found getting in no problem this morning, so I'll take advantage of it.

Winter, you never mentioned the food - I've always heard the food was wonderful there, did you enjoy it?  Was it a good choice as a place to go for the 4 days?  Did Yoda go into his hiding mode again?  Probably totally miffed that you guys took off and left him again!  How was Annie last night?  

I haven't had breakfast yet, but the cats have, Harry patiently sitting out there waiting for some signs of life, when I got up.  Cat Lady and I found he has another admirer where he makes his daily stops.  She posted a couple of pics of him to see if he belongs to anyone.  I haven't spoken directly to her, but am hoping she's thinking of adopting him, since she too, has fallen under his charms.

Good for you for coming in so close to your weight goal, Kargiver.  That takes a lot of willpower to stick to it for the length of time you did.

I made a stop at the farmers' market again yesterday, too late in the day for more of their tomatoes, they were gone, but did get some more sweet corn, green peppers this time, raspberries of course, some kind of lettuce, I'm not sure but it may be arugala(?) a gorgeous eggplant, and a couple of cukes. - oh and some peaches that were so sweet and juicy last week.  Will make the eggplant parm today and have the second ear of corn along with.  Talking with my cousin last night, she said Brooksby's has had some good produce too.

Wondering if we have lost Hats and Tulips.  I can't blame them if they've dropped off, I guess, I myself find the chatter has died way down.  Makes it so much more interesting - like talking over a backyard fence - when everyone puts their two cents worth in each day.  Like you others, hope their absence isn't because of illnesses in their families.  Amber, hope you're up to at least reading and keeping up with our posts.  Things will be more back to normal once you're able to chat along with us.

One last thing, noone has mentioned the Rita Hayworth/Bee Gee's video site I posted in The Commoners.  Did anyone click on it?  I love it, play it every day, but am going to wean myself off it - found at the meditation group the other night, I couldn't quiet my mind down enough, I was swinging away to "Stayin Alive" in my beautiful green gown !